The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Attention to Detail

"Then have them make a sanctuary for me,
and I will dwell among them.
Make this tabernacle and all its furnishings
exactly like the pattern I will show you."
Exodus 25:8-9



Butterflies gracefully fluttered around my flower garden, landing on blooms in order to harvest their sweet nectar.  Orange embellished with ornate markings; lemon-yellow, magnificent in their simplicity; deep cobalt blue contrasted with inky black; these were some of the beauties I observed enjoying the colorful zinnias.

Taking a moment to relish the beauty of God's creation found in my backyard, I realize something that is confirmed in the tedious instructions God gave for making the tabernacle:  the Lord is a God of detail.  While I can't say that I enjoy this particular passage of scripture, as with all of His Word, it reveals something about His character.  

God of Detail

"Join five of the curtains together, and do the same with the other five.  Make loops of blue material along the edge of the end curtain in one set, and do the same with the end curtain in the other set.  Make fifty loops on one curtain and fifty loops on the end curtain of the other set, with the loops opposite each other.  Then make fifty gold clasps and use them to fasten the curtains together so that the tabernacle is a unit."  Exodus 26:3-6

This reads like an instruction manual of a complicated construction project that utilizes all kinds of artistic skills I know little about like precious metal-works, stone cutting, structure building, woodwork and needlework.   Wading through the comprehensive directions, I come to the conclusion that details are important to God.  While I may not be building a tabernacle myself, I must realize that each of His words are significant. 

Since the Lord is a God of detail, I would be wise to take my time when reading the holy scripture.  Instead of focusing on how much I am able to cover in a day, it is more important that I reflect on His Words, pausing when a certain passage stands out to me, meditating on it and searching for the meaning found there.  

It kind of reminds me of a scene found in Disney's Ratatouille where Remy, the determined rat who finds his satisfaction in preparing, presenting and savoring food, tries to share his passion with with his older brother Emile.  Remy offers him a piece of expensive cheese which Emile quickly consumes.  In frustration, Remy whacks him over the head, crying out, "Don't just hork it down!"  Remy wanted Emile to relish the taste, searching for flavors hidden within and delighting in the experience of combining different foods.  Emile, however, was only interested in consuming as much as possible without regard to his palate.

In the same way, God's Word is meant to be savored.  I must pay attention when reading, responding to the Holy Spirit as He draws my attention to a certain passage.  As I take pleasure in reading scripture, I will find many lessons there, drawing meaning where it seems there is none, finding enlightenment from the tiniest of sections and discerning conviction for certain areas of sin in my life.  

When I slow down and appreciate God's Word, He will use it to teach me, point out strongholds of sin, correct my way of thinking, speaking and behaving, and train me how to purposefully live according to His will. (2 Timothy 3:16)  If I skim over the words on the page, however, I will miss the purpose hidden there just waiting for me to discover.

Since the Lord is a God of detail, I must read His Word carefully, savoring every detail.

God of the Insignificant

It didn't seem that important to me, but my daughter pointed out the detail I had passed right by without a thought.  "Look at the spider's web stretched between those trees."  As my gaze followed her pointing finger, I suddenly saw the intricate masterpiece embellished with the morning dew that she had observed on our daily walk.  I was so busy keeping up a fast pace that I hadn't taken the time to look around me.

Examining the detail found in the web of a spider reminds me that God pays attention to the smallest of creatures.  He is not just concerned with the big things, but with the small as well.  Therefore, I can be assured that the tiniest cut on my finger does not escape His attention.  While I may assume that I shouldn't bother Him with the small stuff, He wants me to place those seemingly insignificant irritants into His hands.  

When I'm tempted to sweep my disappointments under the rug, then, I can be assured that He cares about what I'm feeling, even if those around me tell me I'm upset for nothing.  Or when I tell myself that God does not want to be bothered by my irrational fears, I can remember that He takes pleasure in reassuring me of His constant presence.  Even when I fret over the particulars by which no one else seems to be bothered, I can find reassurance in His attention to the details of my life.

Since the Lord is a God of the insignificant, I can find comfort in His attention to the seemingly small stuff.

Wide-Angle Lens

Looking through the lens of the monocular, I was able to view amazing details on the side of the mountain slope.  Even though I was hundreds of yards away, I was able to see a mountain goat climbing along an embankment as if I were standing close by.  Even though I was impressed by the fine features I could pick out, it was impossible to see the entire mountain through that one lens.  In order to take in the scope of the breathtaking landscape before me, I needed to view it through a wide-angled lens.

God can see the scope of things with His naked eye.  He doesn't need help to see the fine details, but neither does His range lack in any way.  Instead, the Lord perceives the big picture, taking into account both my past as well as my future, able to see how my life intersects with others and how certain events will influence my decisions.  It can be said that He looks at life through a wide-angle lens.

Therefore, I need not worry about tomorrow since He has gone before me. (Deuteronomy 31:8)  Equally as assuring is the fact that He has full knowledge of my past, completely comprehending how events shape the way I think and react.  (Psalm 139:3)  Since He is sovereign, He directs the paths of those who I need in order to complete my own journey.  As a result, I can rest in the knowledge that He has my life and its direction in His hands.

Since the Lord is a God with a wide-angled lens, I can trust Him to see everything at once and know how it all fits together.


There is no doubt that God is unique in all His ways.  He not only pays attention to tiny details, but He also cares about the things that seem insignificant or unimportant.  Finally, He is a God who views all things at once, never limited in His scope.  As a result of His distinct and extraordinary nature, I can trust Him in all things.  He is a God who pays attention to detail.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can rest in the knowledge that God sees both the big and the small.

When do I hesitate to trust God in something that seems too small for Him to be bothered?

How do I think God is like me, and can only see things from a limited human perspective?  

No comments:

Post a Comment