The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Long Way

"When Pharaoh finally let the people go,
God did not lead them along the main road
that runs through Philistine territory,
even though that was the shortest route 
to the Promised Land.
God said,
'If the people are faced with a battle,
they might change their minds and return to Egypt.'
So God led them in a roundabout way
through the wilderness toward the Red Sea."
Exodus 13:17-18 NLT



"I don't know why no one has ever said this to you before, but you need surgery immediately!"  My friend had just seen a new doctor and was surprised by his insistent response.  Her elbow replacement, first done a few years before, was now infected beyond hope.  The only remedy was to remove the artificial joint and let it "air out" with the objective of killing the bacteria that's causing the problem.  Without this radical procedure, my friend could die of sepsis. 

While it was natural for Rachel (not her real name) to question why it took so long for someone to demand this treatment, there could have been a reason why God was allowing her to take the long way to the solution.  

God knows what we can handle and what would be too much. In my friend's case, perhaps the surgery would have been overwhelming for her to face even a few months ago.  Instead, God waited for her faith to grow to the point where she would be in a better position to go through such a procedure.  Since God is the only One who truly perceives what is best for me, I can trust Him when He leads me down the long, roundabout route.

Preserve my Weak Faith

A greenhouse is a useful tool for any serious horticulturist.  The temperature and moisture levels can be closely controlled thus creating the perfect growing environment no matter the outside conditions.  A greenhouse also provides the added benefit of protection against pests and rough weather.  In short, a greenhouse protects the weak nature of plants from ruin.

In a similar way, my faith may be as weak as a tender green shoot.  When I'm a new believer there are certain circumstances which could be better handled after my ability to trust God has grown.  Sometimes, I am going through a time of doubt or uncertainty when a difficult battle could destroy my fragile faith.  Then there are times when I am simply overwhelmed with the worries of life and one more burden could do in my faith.

In the same way that God knew the Israelites were not ready to handle a battle with the Philistines at this stage of their lives, God perceives what circumstances will grow my faith and what could destroy it.  Therefore, I can trust Him when He takes me down a path that seems long and out-of-the-way.

When I think I can handle any challenge but my life seems so dull and humdrum, I can trust the God who may be trying to preserve my weak faith.

Protect Against Despair

My heart was hard and closed.  I was either unwilling to hear what God was saying or I wasn't ready to accept His words.  As I went through the day, listening to the different speakers and hearing the messages, the tears threatened to flow.  It wouldn't take much to bring them gushing forth in a display of so-called weakness.  Therefore, I kept my worries and fears to myself, steeling myself against the onslaught of emotion that lay just beneath the surface.

There have been many times in my life when I felt close to despair.  Many times I didn't know why I felt this way; all I knew was that my emotional state was fragile to say the least.  During times like these, I feel close to giving up the fight and simply letting my flesh have it's way.  

In times like these, God knows what my delicate state can handle and what would push me over the edge where I would plunge down into the pit of depression and gloom.  He understands the brittle nature of my faith and makes the way easier to guard me against giving up.  

Much like God took His people around through the desert route so that those who were close to giving up would not be faced with a challenge too much to handle, so He does the same for me.  Only He perceives what is the right amount of resistance for me during each stage of my life.

When I am close to the pit of despair, God is sensitive to send me on a long and less difficult route in order to guard my precarious position.

Desert

It was dry and sterile; no fruit could be perceived and I felt empty and useless.  Where are you Lord?  Have you left me?  I don't know why I feel so dead inside.  Help me!

I was going through what I call my "desert period" in which I doubted my faith, wondered if all the things God had taught me were true and basically felt like I'd been had.  It may be hard for anyone else to understand, but for no apparent reason I simply felt manipulated and exploited by God.

As I started to come out of this funk, my faith began to grow in leaps and bounds, as if the desert time was a necessary part of my development.  Somehow, God had used this time of confusion and uncertainty to mature my faith.

Therefore I now know that the times that seem bad and unbearable are being used in the hands of my loving Father for my good.  What I think of as the desert, He calls provision.

When it seems like all is lost and I'm at the end of my rope, God could be providing the tools I need for my faith to grow.


Only God knows what is best for me, and only He perceives the perfect timing.  Therefore, I can trust Him when He leads me the roundabout way, taking me through barren surroundings.  I must consider that He could be preserving my weakened faith, protecting me against despair, or using what seems bad to bring about good.  No matter what, I can trust God, even when He's taking me down the long way.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God even when everything seems to be going wrong.

How do I easily let go of my belief when things seem like they are going nowhere?

Have I gone through a desert time?  What fruit came from that situation?  

No comments:

Post a Comment