The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Reverence Misplaced

"You shall have no other gods before me."
Exodus 20:3



It made me uncomfortable just to see it.  My husband and I were watching an early episode of the reality show "Survivor," and the contestants were required to enter into the temple of the locals' god and pay homage to the idol placed there.  Out of respect for their host's beliefs, contestants were told, it was important that they make this gesture of goodwill.

As we watched the group kneel down, I put myself in their position, wondering if I would be able to stand against the producers of the show and refuse to do as they say.  Would I honor God by refusing to worship this carved image?

While I've never been faced with such a dilemma, I am often challenged by a similar predicament.  Even though I don't bow down to other gods, if I'm honest with myself, I do revere people, things, or interests above the One True God.  As a result, I break the first commandment that specifically tells me that He is to be the only God I worship.

How do I know if these other things have been elevated to the status of god?  There are a few simple tests I can use to gauge their position on my ladder of priorities.

Time Spent

We each have been given the same amount of it.  Every man, woman and child are on equal footing when it comes to this resource.  No one has any more or any less than anyone else.  I can waste it, letting it slip through my fingers like so much sand, or I can value it, squeezing every ounce of purpose out of what I've been given.  Either way, I can never retrieve that which is used up.

Time is the great equalizer.  We've all got exactly the same amount to utilize and how we spend that valuable God-given resource is up to us.  The way I use it tells a lot about the condition of my heart and what I treasure.  If success is of the utmost importance to me, I'll spend a lot of time chasing after it.  If having a family is what I deem as significant, I will use the time I have to search for a suitable husband and then create the home of which I've always dreamed.  If recreation is what I love, I'll spend much of my allotted time playing and watching sports.

None of these pursuits are bad unto themselves, but I must ask myself where God fits in to my life.  If He is relegated to a minor position as other loves become bigger than my devotion to Him, then I have a problem.

When teaching about what we value, Jesus said, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21)  My heart follows my affections.  The amount of the limited quantity of time I've been given that I devote to something is a good indicator of what I care about.  When I invest a lot of this precious resource to earthly treasures, my affections will follow.  When I choose to give more of my time to thinking about God, meditating on His Word, obeying His calling on my life and learning more about Him, then my heart will be more wholly devoted to Him.

God, the lover of my soul, desires that I treasure Him above all things.  When my heart is dedicated to Him in such a way, I will grow closer to Him and love Him more than anything or anyone else.  It is then that He will be my one and only God.

How I spend my time is a good indicator of what I value and whether or not something or someone else has been elevated to a position of "god' in my life.

Faith Placed

She really believed in the organization.  Whenever I talked to her, she would rave about the benefits associated with the multi-level marketing company of which she was a part.  She extolled it's virtues and could never say enough about it.  She committed to memory countless number of testimonials about how this program had changed the lives of everyday people. It was clear that my friend was sold out to her business.

While this woman claimed Christ as her Lord and Savior, she placed her faith in the company she so clearly loved.  She trusted it to save her from a meaningless life, giving her a purpose and a goal.  There was also a belief that the program would provide a certain level of income, helping her to dig her way out of debt.  Never did I hear her give credit to God for His plan or provision.  Instead, it was all about the business.

I admit, this may be an extreme example, but there are ways I too am at risk of placing my faith in things or people instead of God.  When I am faced with a dilemma, I may automatically think of all the resources to which I can turn to for help, never considering the One who owns the cattle on a thousand hills.  (Psalm 50:10)  Or how many times do I refer a friend to a government agency when she comes up short instead of calling out to my Father who knows her needs?  (Matthew 6:31-34)  Or when do I call the doctor to heal my body but I never even think to put my health issues into the hands of the Great Physician. (James 5:14-15)

Where I place my faith is a good indicator of what I believe to be the answer to the problems I face and whether or not it is a "god" in my life.

Attention Focused

I enjoy high school football games.  While the game itself is fun to watch, my eye often is drawn to other distractions.  Sometimes I find myself watching the cheerleaders as they perform their routines.  Other times I engage in people watching as the spectators draw my attention.  Then there are the times when I focus in on the band who revs up the crowd with their peppy music.  Whatever the draw, I often miss a lot of the action that is taking place on the field.

One time I sat next to a woman who was passionate about football.  She never missed a play and noticed every flag thrown, foul missed or penalty called.  She was definitely a die-hard fan.  When I asked her if she had a son on the field, she replied, "No.  Our son plays in the band."  This woman simply loved football.

I knew where this fan's devotion lied by where she placed her attention.  It is the same with me in life:  Where do I most often rest my eyes?  Social media?  Entertainment?  Family?  Friends?  If I'm stuck in the doctor's waiting room, what catches my attention most?  Is it the People magazine, or the Bible?  Would I rather read a story in the Reader's Digest or Guideposts? 

This is not to say that any reading material is better than any other, but rather to ask myself, to what am I drawn?  Do I gravitate toward the things of God or am I more attracted to the things of the world?

Where I focus my attention is a good indicator of what is important to me and whether or not it is a "god" in my life.


God is a jealous God.  He is not jealous of me, but for me.  He is jealous of my time, my faith and my attention.  He created me so that I would willingly choose to place my life back in His hands, deeming Him as Lord of my life.  When I get distracted by other pursuits, interests or relationships, I may find myself misplacing the reverence due to God and God alone.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can revere God above all else.

When do I treasure the people I love above the God who made me for Himself?

To where is my attention most often drawn?  

No comments:

Post a Comment