The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Equipped to Serve

"Then the LORD said to Moses,
'See I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri,
the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah,
and I have filled him with the Spirit of God,
with wisdom,
with understanding,
with knowledge
and all kinds of skills-
to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze,
to cut and set stones,
to work in wood,
and to engage in all kinds of crafts.
Moreover,
I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamak,
of the tribe of Dan, to help him.
Also I have given ability to all the skilled workers 
to make everything I have commanded you.'"
Exodus 31:1-6



"I'm not good enough."
"I don't know enough about God."
"I doubt anyone will listen to me."
"I've never been able to do anything like that before."

This is a list of the excuses Moses gave to God before the burning bush.  Despite the amazing miracles the Lord performed to reassure him, Moses remained skeptical.  His final response to God's patient encouragement was, "Send someone else."  (Exodus 3-4:17)

Even though I've read this account of the calling of Moses dozens of times, it never ceases to strike a familiar chord within me.  I can relate to Moses on so many levels!  It's easy to consider the signs and wonders God performed in his midst and ask, What's wrong with this guy?  Why is he so insecure?  

If I put myself in his shoes, however, and switch the command from going to visit Pharaoh in Egypt with speaking to a large group, leaving my family to live in a faraway mission field, or starting a new ministry or business, I suddenly empathize with his reluctant reaction.

God doesn't set me up for failure.  If He calls me to do something, He will give me what I need to accomplish the task He has set aside for me.  Therefore, I can live accordingly.

By Faith

The talk show host famous for inciting antagonism and fueling arguments by playing the so-called devil's advocate grilled Billy Graham in his familiar style.  Instead of getting a rise out of the famous evangelist, however, he received a response that stopped him in his tracks.  "You will never be able to reason your way to understanding; that will never work.  The 
gospel is something you have to take by faith."

God used Billy Graham to render Phil Donahue speechless.  Was it because he had studied different styles and prepared appropriate responses?  Did he possess such intuitive people skills that he was able to come up with the perfect come-back for each person?  Was he a polished debater who had spent hours practicing the art of deliberation?  

No, none of the above.  Instead, Billy Graham trusted God to provide the words each person needed to hear.  So, when he delivered the response that stopped Donahue cold, it wasn't just words he was delivering.  Instead, it was a way of life for Graham.  He had lived most of his life by faith, believing what God said simply because had God said it. 

While I tend to look at all the obstacles I see around me and question whether God can really meet all my needs like He has promised, a faith-filled response would be, "God will provide." (Matthew 6:33)  When I focus on the pain that overwhelms coupled with the depressing odds given by the medical experts, a faith-filled attitude would be, "With God nothing is impossible." (Luke 1:37)  When I sense God calling me to what seems to be out of the question considering my abilities, a faith-filled reaction would be, "Here I am; send me." (Isaiah 1:7-8)

Walking forward in faith is possible when I place more clout in God and His abilities than in me and my lack thereof.

In Action

I opened my eyes but could see nothing around me.  The darkness was so deep that it seemed to close in on me, making me feel claustrophobic.  We had lost power after a storm and the lack of light in the dead of the night was absolute.  Still, I needed to find my way to the bathroom.  Knowing the familiar route from my bed to the toilet should have been easy, but without the benefit of my vision, it was a scary thing to take each step.  I knew the floor was solid beneath my feet and the way clear of obstacles, but I still hesitated, unsure if I could make it without incident.

I depend on my vision so much that when I lose it for a time, like after that fateful storm, it is hard to function.  My ability to make it to the bathroom depended on a faith in my memory of the route as well as the integrity of the floor.  While it may have felt I would step off a precipice at any moment, I knew without a doubt that the house had not given way.  Therefore, I willed myself to move forward, believing that everything was as I had left it before going to bed.

It's the same with God.  I know much about Him from reading His Word and have seen Him work in some mighty ways as He provided exactly what I needed, protected me from harm and gave me the strength to carry on.  Still, when I'm faced with the next obstacle, need or calling, I tend to doubt, putting more clout in what I can sense than in the God who I can't see, touch or feel.

Faith is not about what goes on inside of me, but in what comes out through action.  I can talk and think about what I believe all day long, but unless I put it into practice, it isn't real.  Unless I go when God says, "Go!" or I move when God says, "Move!"  or I wait when God says, "Wait!" my faith means nothing. (James 2:14-26)

Faith without action is no faith at all.

With Confidence

His sense of self-assurance bordered on cockiness.  When the business executive walked into the room, he commanded the attention of all in attendance.  The people gathered for the presentation believed everything he said simply because he sounded so sure of himself.  I wondered how he could be so confident.

While some people seem to be born with a strong ability to believe in themselves and their abilities, others are so insecure they don't think they are able to complete even the simplest of tasks.  Most people fall somewhere in between these two extremes.  While our culture extols the virtues of developing a strong sense of self and belief in what we can do, I learn a conflicting truth in God's Word. (Philippians 3:3)

Instead of a trust in myself and belief in my own abilities driving me forward in self-assurance, I can step forward in faith based on my confidence in a powerful, sovereign God who is faithful to keep His promises. (Psalm 118:8-9)  Peter demonstrated this God-confidence when he spoke boldly before the intimidating Sanhederin, the Jewish ruling council.  

As a follower of Jesus, Peter had heard Jesus say they would do even greater things than He. (John 14:12-14)  By faith, then, Peter and John stepped out in ministry, spreading the Good News and healing people.  When the Holy Spirit gave Peter the words to defend himself against the accusations of the skeptical Jewish leaders, they were astonished by his courage and could not deny the miracle of the once lame man now standing before them.  It was obvious there was something different about this man.  (Acts 4:8-17)

I can possess the same confidence Peter exhibited if I would only believe in what God is able to accomplish through me.  When I trust Him enough to move forward in faith, I will exude a similar confidence, boldly approaching the throne of grace to receive all I need to carry out the task set before me. (Hebrews 4:16) Sometimes that is to endure hardship, other times it is to speak with power, or even to accomplish an overwhelming mission.  Whatever I am called to do, I can move forward with the assurance of one who is thoroughly equipped through God's indwelling Spirit. (Ephesians 3:20)

When I walk by faith I will move with confidence in the One who equips me for every good work that He has called me to do.  (Ephesians 2:10)


God gives each of us a mission but He doesn't leave us to our own devices.  Instead, He provides everything we need to accomplish the task at hand.  Therefore, I can walk forward with the belief that He will supply, proving that my faith is real and giving me a confidence not in myself, but in the One who is the source of all good things.  There is no doubt that God can be trusted as my Provider, but I will only discover this truth if I step blindly forward, before I see any evidence of this provision.  It is then that I will see how I am equipped to serve.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to obey His calling on my life.  

When do I let my own insecurities hold me back?

How can I keep my eyes on the power of God instead of my own lack of abilities?       


No comments:

Post a Comment