The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, October 28, 2013

God of Mercy

"You must not follow the crowds in doing wrong.
When you are called to testify in a dispute,
do not be swayed by the crowd to twist justice.
And do not slant your testimony in favor of a person
just because that person is poor.
If you come upon your enemy's ox or donkey
that has strayed away,
take it back to its owner.
If you see that the donkey of someone who hates you
has collapsed under its load,
do not walk by.  Instead, stop and help.
In a lawsuit, you must not deny justice to the poor."
Exodus 23:2-6

Mercy: 
(1) kind or forgiving treatment of someone who could be treated harshly

(2) kindness or help given to people who are in a very bad or desperate situation*



Of all the people to see broken down on the side of the road, it had to be her.  The woman in question had hurt me so much, turning her back on me in my greatest hour of need and even going so far as to spread lies to my neighbors.  I hadn't seen this woman in years, but the simple sight of her vehicle brought back all the hurt, humiliation and pain of that time in my life.  I had half a notion just to pass her by, letting her suffer in return for all the ways she brought trouble into my own life.  Then, I felt the gentle nudging of the Holy Spirit on my heart.  Stop.  She needs you help right now.

While it is easy to withhold help from those who are cruel to me, God has another plan for my life.  I can never forget that it is death that I truly deserve.  (Romans 6:23, Psalm 130:3)  Due to God's great love and mercy, however, He offers life through simple faith in Jesus Christ my Lord. (John 14:6)  God is a God of mercy, and as His child, He wants me to be known as such as well.

Enemies

It was a curious thing to see: goats and a baby lion romping around together in a pen.  My daughter and I were doing some channel surfing and had run across a program showing the results of an interesting experiment where natural enemies were raised together a friends. Instead of  following their instinctive predatory nature, they learned to get a long with each other.  Busch Gardens in Tampa, Florida even raised a dog and a cheetah together, demonstrating that natural enemies can develop close bonds if introduced to each other at a young age.

Watching these unlikely friendships form made me think of my own enemies.  I may not have anyone who is out to kill me, but there are those who rub me the wrong way, or seem to make it their life's work to try to bring me down, or who just don't seem to like me.  It is hard to treat such people with respect.  Instead, I'd rather give them a dose of their own medicine.

Paul gives me specific instructions in how God desires me to deal with those who are cruel to me.  He says to bless them, join them in times of joy and periods of grief, never assume they're the problem but instead do what I can to live in peace, do right in the eyes of everyone, leave vengeance to Him, and let good overcome the evil in my heart. (Romans 12:14-21) This is a tall order.

When I remember the only reason I'm still allowed to take another breathe is by the mercy of God, I can offer this same mercy to others.  Instead of pointing the finger at how much hurt others cause, I can realize there are three fingers pointing back at me, condemning me for my own selfish point of view.  As much as I feel slighted by others, I must understand that I have been on the giving end as many times as I have received.  If I think I'm not guilty of hurting another, I am not seeing the truth about myself.  (1 John 1:8)

As a child of a merciful God, I will be known as one who loves my enemies when I realize I used to be God's enemy.  (Romans 5:8)

Peer Pressure

Everyone said they saw him do it.  As a result, they all signed sworn statements, testifying to the fact that they were sure they knew who perpetrated the robbery.  The lone dissenter, however, refused to sign.  Instead, she stuck to her story that she had seen a different man enter the convenience store as she headed out the door.  Even though the majority of witness accounts conflicted with hers, she stood by what she knew to be the truth.  She didn't let peer pressure influence her testimony.

It is hard to go against the flow, standing strong against the crowd, especially when others speak with confidence and a sense of conviction.  There is something about human nature that makes me question my own memory when no one else shares my recollection.

God knows what makes humans tick.  Therefore, He warns against letting peer pressure influence the truth.  Many a man has been wrongfully convicted because someone was afraid to stand up for what they knew was right.  While I may not find myself as a witness to a crime, there are times when I am tempted to cave in to the pressure of the majority.

It could be when it seems everyone around me is speaking what they see as the truth but I know is clearly fallacy.  Maybe God placed me in such a position to be able to enlighten others in love.  

Other times I could be the only one around the proverbial water cooler who carries a godly perspective on current events.  Instead of staying silent to keep the peace, I could interject the truth in a way that makes others question their own beliefs.

Then there are times when I witness a stranger abusing another in a public setting.  While it is easy to tell myself that someone else will step forward, it could be that I am the victim's only hope.

As a child of a merciful God, I will be known as one who is immune to peer pressure when I remember the risk Jesus took to save my life.

Protect Innocent

I mindlessly set about my daily task of watering the hanging ferns on my porch.  Deep in thought, I wasn't paying attention to the task at hand and pointed the hose directly into the center of the plant, forgetting about the nest of finches nestled within.  Suddenly, two baby birds were washed away, landing helpless and vulnerable on the ground.

While I did manage to return those babies to their nest, I scolded myself for my carelessness.  Instead of upholding my place as a protector of those tiny birds, I had inadvertently endangered their lives.

God wants me to take on the role of an advocate for the weak.  There are those who God has placed in my path because they need protection.  Therefore, I would be wise to keep on the lookout.

If I'm paying attention, I will find the quiet victim who needs a voice that I can lend.  I may also find the vulnerable who don't even realize the danger that lies all around.  My unique perspective makes me the one who can protect them from peril.  I also may become the source of hope for the powerless who cannot defend themselves.

As a child of a merciful God, I will be known as one who protects the innocent when I realize my own vulnerability before Him.


As one who benefits from the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross, I am to extend the same kind of mercy He freely gives to me.  He desires that I be known as a lover of my enemies, a woman with a strong backbone and a protector of the innocent.  When I embrace my true identity as a sinner saved by grace, the mercy God is known for will also flow from me.

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will not block the flow of mercy out to others.

When do I let peer pressure hold me back from speaking the truth?

How do I miss the weak who need my protection?  

No comments:

Post a Comment