The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Facing the Impossible

"Moses answered the people,
'Do not be afraid.
Stand firm and you will see the deliverance 
the LORD will bring you today.
The Egyptians you see today
you will never see again.
The LORD will fight for you;
you need only to be still.'"
Exodus 14:13



It seemed impossible.  God's very own precious people were between a rock and a hard place, up against the wall, and at the end of their rope.  There seemed to be no way out.  The formidable Egyptian army forced them up against the shores of the Red Sea where they pondered their fate.  Why would God go through all the trouble of delivering them from the hands of the cruel slave masters only to have them die there in the desert?  It seemed hopeless.  Where could they go?  How could they escape?  What would happen in the face of such might? (Exodus 14:5-12)

It is easy to panic when what I see before me looks impossible.  The doctors say I only have weeks to live;  my boss tells me he must let me go without severance pay; the debt is so large I don't see how we can ever dig ourselves out from under it.  I am then tempted to go to pieces, wondering what will become of me.  After all, this happens to others but I've never experienced anything such as this.  How will I come out on the other end whole and unharmed?

Then I turn to God in desperation.  When I cry out to Him, telling Him how things are beyond hopeless, that the end is near and there's no way out, He gives me some specific instructions.  Here is what He speaks to my trembling heart:

Do Not Be Afraid

He had been told he would be the father of many nations and that all people on earth would be blessed through him.  Yet here he stood years later, utterly childless and without an heir. (Genesis 12:1-3, 15:1What kind of a cruel trick is this, he must have thought.  Who will stand to inherit my wealth?  How will my name go on?  Will it end with my death?  What kind of a blessing is this?  It seems more like a curse!

Then the LORD gave courage to Abram with a vision in which He said, "Do not be afraid, Abram, for I will protect you, and your reward will be great." (Genesis 15:1)  It is easy to lose heart when everything around me points to defeat, failure or hopelessness.  God, however, sees the big picture.  He possesses the eternal perspective and therefore can be trusted when my vision is short-sighted.

Instead of putting my faith in my feelings, then, I can take God at His Word, choosing to believe He will bring me safely through this time of trial. (Isaiah 43:1-3)  Since I belong to Him, I can trust Him to fight my battle for me, choosing to believe that with Him on my side there is no one who can stand against me.  (Romans 8:31)  Even when my situation seem ugly and dreadful, God will make it beautiful at just the right time.  (Ecclesiastes 3:11)

When I have reached the end of my rope, God gives me specific instructions to choose faith instead of fear.

Stand Firm

It's one of the most familiar scenes in Disney's heart-wrenching "Bambi."  The hunter is after a flock of quail.  As the creatures hide in the bush, one panics, unable to withstand the pressure of staying quiet.  The others beg her to stay put, but her fear suddenly reaches a climax and she succumbs to the urge to fly, crying out, "He's almost here!  I can't stand it any longer!"  After a few moments, we hear the fatal shot of the hunter as the poor bird falls to the ground in a heap. 

While placing such human feelings upon animals may be stretching reality, there is some truth to be found in this scene.  It is natural for me to want to flee in cases of danger, threat or pain.  The urge to run away or find an escape route is great because it is a part of my flesh to want to avoid pain and suffering.  When God says to stand my ground, however, I can take Him at His Word.  

Many times, it is at the moment when the enemy is drawing close, or when the deadline approaches, or when it seems all hope is lost that God shows His mighty hand.  When I stand firm I am proving to God that I believe He's got my back and that He will protect me from whatever it is I fear.  If I instead give in to the temptation to flee, I'll miss out on seeing the deliverance He has planned for me.  

When I am at the point of panic, God gives me specific instructions to stand my ground.

Watch for Deliverance

It was hard to see the tiny shoots poking up through the hibernating earth.  At first glance, there seemed to be nothing there but dirt.  Upon closer inspection, however, I found a few spots of green peaking out through the soil.  Soon, the crocus would be blooming, heralding the arrival of Spring.

In the same way that I had to search for the signs of life in the seemingly dead garden, I must watch for what God is about to do in especially difficult situations.  Sometimes, if I'm not alert and attentive, I can miss the very miracle God performs as a show of His might and power.

When I expect to see amazing things from God, I will perceive these feats of His strength.  When I don't think anything out of the ordinary will happen, I will fail to see what He does.  Those who look will find.  Those who anticipate the out of the ordinary will perceive it.  Those who are expecting to see something new from the Lord will not be disappointed.  (Isaiah 43:18-20)

The thing about watching for God to work is that I never know what to expect.  While I know it will be something extraordinary, I can't limit the scope of His work.  While I'm looking for a cure for what ails the body, He may bring about the healing of a heart.  If I focus on how He is going to provide more income, He may instead decrease the amount of my needs.  When I'm paying attention to the right, the answer may come from the left.  With God, I must expect the unexpected and be prepared for anything.

When I am in need of deliverance, I must expect to see amazing things from God that I could never imagine.


When my life seems to be filled with grief and I'm not sure how I will survive, God gives me some specific instructions.  He wants me to choose faith instead of fear, stand firm in my faith, and use this faith to believe that anything is possible.  When I look for Him to do great things, I will not be disappointed.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to stand firm when I feel like fleeing.

How do I expect only the ordinary from God?

When do I put God in a box, thinking I have the solution all figured out instead of letting Him choose for me?  

No comments:

Post a Comment