The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Just Enough

"Then the LORD said to Moses,
'Look, I'm going to rain down food from heaven for you.
Each day the people can go out and pick up as much food
as they need for that day.
I will test them in this
to see whether or not
they will follow my instructions.'"
Exodus 16:4 NLT



It was a curious way to live their lives; a way to which none of them were accustomed.  In their old existence under the heavy hand of Pharaoh, they not only had to complete the work he set before them, but these former slaves also were required to gather and prepare their own food.  If they wanted to survive, the Israelites had to work very hard to provide for themselves what they needed to live.

Now that the God of their fathers had miraculously rescued them from the bondage of slavery, the Israelites lived a life of divine provision.  God provided just enough manna for each day, a kind of wafer-like substance whose name meaning "What is it?" revealed it's mysterious qualities.  Out of faith, these people who were becoming reacquainted with God and His ways had to trust Him to give them what they needed for that day only.  They were instructed to not gather any more or less, but only what was necessary for the next few hours until the sun went down.

As the people of God in ancient times learned that the Lord is a God who requires faith from His people, I too must learn to trust Him to give me what I need for each day.  He calls me to live in a way that demonstrates a similar faith that the Israelites developed; a faith in His provision.

Unfortunately, there are many ways in which I betray my desire for more than what He gives.

Storehouses

He was a successful farmer.  The wealthy man learned the ins and outs of agriculture and became quite good at growing crops, reaping the benefits of all his labor.  As he grew in prosperity, he became more proficient, gaining even more riches.  Soon he asked himself, What should I do with all these assets?  Before long, the answer came to him:  He would save it, building a nest age so he could live a life of ease and comfort, enjoying the fruits of his labor all the days of his life.  (paraphrased from Luke 12:13-21)

Unfortunately for this prosperous man, God did not judge his decision as shrewd.  Instead of calling him wise and prudent, he called him a fool, taking his life that very night.  You see, God did not give us life so that we can build up treasures here on earth.  He did not create us and breathe life into us so we could live to please our own sinful natures.  Instead, He made you and me so that we can live in relationship with Him, as a devoted child to a loving Father.

I tend to hoard for the future, just like this foolish man.  While it's not wrong to save, it is wrong to put my faith in my bank account, investments or retirement.  It is in God who I am to trust, not in my own ability to prepare for what is to come.  When I put the resources with which God has blessed me into building up a reserve for myself, I am denying the purpose for which I am here: not to look out for myself and make sure my needs are taken care of.  Instead, I am here to serve others and love God in word and deed.  The way I deal with my money tells God everything He needs to know about the state of my heart.

If He gives me extra money, do I automatically think about the advice of financial experts who tell me about my need to build a nest egg, or do I seek God's will for how I can invest in His kingdom?  Perhaps He entrusted me with an abundance so He can use me to provide for others.

None of my decisions should be based on my needs.  Jesus clearly taught that my focus is to be on Him and His kingdom.  (Matthew 6:33)  When I make decisions based on the leading of the Holy Spirit in my life, He will give me what I need for each day.  When I make choices centered on providing fro my own necessities, I will never know the joy of seeing His provision and growing in my closeness to Him as a result.

I betray my desire for more than what God provides in the way I store up for the future.

Materialism

He had lived in all kinds of situations; with plenty, with barely enough, in prison where he didn't know from where his next meal would come, in custody where he had to rely on others, and even as a successful business man who had more than he needed.  No matter what the circumstances, though, Paul said he had learned the secret of being content.  It wasn't a formula or a get-rich scheme.  What he learned is that contentment did not come from the stuff that he owned.  Instead, he found out it came from knowing Christ and Him becoming more important than anything else.  (Philippians 4:11-13)

If Jesus Christ is my treasure, nothing else really matters.  Unfortunately, it is all too easy for me to lose sight of this truth and fall into the pattern of this world where the accumulation of stuff is what makes me happy and at ease.  I begin to get caught up in the quest for bigger, better and more advanced stuff.  What I have ceases to satisfy and I find myself always looking for what is new.

Instead of growing closer in my relationship with my Father who loves me, I set my sights on the new device I think I can't live without.  In the place of seeking to know God more, I look for ways to improve my home theater system.  While I could be spending my time learning of God's amazing character and qualities, I instead spend my time researching the latest cars and deciding which model I want and making a list of the features I'll choose.  Then I devise a scheme to buy it as soon as possible, replacing the old car which works perfectly fine but I've convinced myself is no longer suitable for my needs.

I betray my desire for more than what God provides when I expect more stuff to make me content.

Success

Setting a goal, then reaching it.
Gaining a certain level of fame or prosperity.
Reaching the top of one's field.

These are all examples of the way the world defines success.  I easily get caught up in going after the things I think will place me on the top of the heap.  After all, what is the point of trying if I'm not going to achieve greatness?  I think like the world when I believe that I must either do my best to reach the highest point, or don't try at all.

In God's kingdom, however, it's all about my heart, not so much about the outcome.  Paul says, ". . .whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31)  Instead of being focused on what will come of my efforts, then, I should be more concerned with my attitude and my motivation for doing a thing.  Then, I will do what I do as a representative of Christ instead of as a means to reach an end.  (Colossians 3:16-17)

While it is natural for me to desire a raise on the job and it would be easy for me to use that as a motivation for turning out high quality work, my heart is in the wrong place when I do so.  In the same vein, I can use my desire to achieve a good reputation for myself as the reason I keep my word, but again, I'm focused only on me.  Even if I am spurred on by my yearning to live a meaningful life, always look for ways to enrich my days, it becomes more about me and less about my Lord.

Instead, I can keep my eyes on Jesus, doing whatever I do to bring Him glory, desiring nothing more than to point to Him in all I do.

I betray my desire for more than what God provides when I am driven my a desire for success.


In the same way that God provided just enough for the people of Israel as they adjusted to their new way of life in the desert, so God gives me exactly what is necessary for this day.  Many times, though, I am discontent with all He has provided.  This yearning for more shows up in the way I desire to store up for the future, or in my efforts to surround myself with things, or in the mode of motivation that drives me forward.  In each case, I betray my desire for more than what God provides.  In reality, He always gives me just enough.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can learn contentment in God's provision.

How do I go after things that distract me from Him?

When am I so caught up with stuff that I forget He is standing at my door waiting to be invited into my life?

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! That hit a spot I don't like. God is opening my eyes about things I don't want to see but thank you for being a tool of God.

    ReplyDelete