The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Rise from the Dust

“Wake up, sleeper,
   rise from the dead,
   and Christ will shine on you.”
Ephesians 5:14

"I can do all this through him
who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:13



"I can't do this anymore."

I have heard many in utter despair whisper these words of hopelessness.  Out of a place of sheer misery I have used this phrase.  It is often the last thought before someone takes their own life.  "I give up. . . .I can't do this anymore. . . "

I despair when I don't recognize the goodness and power of God all around me.  The feelings of hopelessness overwhelm and threaten to drown me, as if there is nothing that can pluck me out of the engulfing waters of depression.

God, however, has promised to keep my head above the waters.  He has exhorted me in Isaiah 43:1b-2 to, “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you."

When I feel I am living in the dust, being trampled on by the hardships of life, there are some things I can do to rise from the shadows so Christ's light will shine upon me.

Fill Up

There are many things in this life that I can choose to fill up on.  I can find my fulfillment in work, my relationships, my family, my hobbies or in attaining the latest gadgets. 

All of these things will disappoint.  I cannot truly find fulfillment until I am filled with the Spirit of the One who created Me, who knows my purpose, and who gives my life meaning.  

To be filled with God's Spirit, however, I have to empty myself of me.  This does not mean I become someone other than myself.  Instead, it means that I surrender my will in exchange for God's will.  It means I let go of fleshly desires that lead away from God.  It means I become less and He becomes more, resulting in a more authentic me, as God intended me to live.   

Jesus is not a bully.  He does not force His way into anyone's life.  Instead, He patiently stands at the door of my heart, waiting for me to invite Him in and be Lord of my life.

God's Spirit dwelling within me will give me a sense of purpose and produce His fruit as evidence of His presence.

When I am feeling down, it may be because I am not filled up with the life-giving Spirit of God.

Exhort

It is often said that if you want to feel better about your situation in life, it is good to reach out and help someone else.

In a similar way, it is important that I step outside of myself and take the time to support others with a Word of encouragement.  God did not place me on this earth to suffer alone.  Rather, He situated me in a Body which is designed to live in community.

For this reason, I remember that my suffering is not for nothing.  Instead, I can give praise to, "the God of all comfort,  who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.  For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ." (2 Corinthians 1:3-5)

Exhorting others with the Word of God is essential to living a life of abundance.

Sing

Every morning I hear the sound of birds singing their praises to God.  As a created creature, they are acting according to the programming God has placed inside of them.

Unfortunately for us, even though we are designed to praise God, we are also sinful beings who are easily overwhelmed with the troubles of this world.  Jesus warned us of this fact when He said, "In the world you will have tribulation;"  He did not, however, end the warning there.  He continued on by saying, "but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 NKJV)

It is possible for me to sing praises to God in the midst of the storm.  Doing so will bring peace to my heart and give honor to God who is good despite my seemingly dire situation.  His goodness is not diminished by my circumstances, and giving Him praise is what I am designed to do. 

As I, "Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy." (Psalm 33:3) my heart will be transformed from a dark place of hopelessness to a dwelling of Light and thankfulness.


Life is hard and there are many times when I feel trampled upon by the cares of this life.  But filling up with God's Spirit, encouraging others with a His Word, and singing praises and thanks to Him will help me to rise from the dust and find a place in the light.

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will not let the worries of life consume me.

How do I let troubles be my main focus instead of training my eyes on God who is goodness and light?

When do I fail to support others because I am overwhelmed with my own troubles?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment