The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Religion vs. Relationship

"Religion that God our Father accepts as
pure and faultless is this:
to look after orphans and widows
in their distress and to keep oneself
from being polluted by the world."
James 1:27



Religion carries a negative connotation in our world. Wars are fought in the name of religion.  Hurting souls stay far away from God because of the pain experienced at the hand of religious people.  Innocent bystanders die at the hand of religious zealots.  Entire segments of society are ostracized by the judgment of religiously pious individuals.  

John Lennon wrote a song about imagining a world without religion. . . and how we could live in peace as a result.  He might have had something there. . .

Religion is defined as a group of people who adhere to an agreed upon set of beliefs and practices. Religion can easily become something hurtful and ugly when man adds to the law instituted by God and puts himself in the position of judgement and of wielding power over others.  Religion then becomes a tool used to control the lives of others.

The First Century believers must have experienced these same kind of issues as demonstrated by today's verse.

What is the difference between following a religion and cultivating a relationship with Jesus? 

Heart

God is all about my heart.  David was considered to be a man after God's own heart due to his desire to please God in all things.  Even though he failed miserably in many ways, and committed horrific sins, his heart was focused on following and obeying God for most of his life. 

A heart inclined toward God desires to obey God and God alone.  After being exposed of his sin, David repented and asked God to, " Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10)

My heart can get me in trouble.  When I am focused more on the law and how it applies to others, my relationship with a living God is replaced with religion.  If, however, I seek to please God above all things, my devotion to a set of beliefs and practices turns into a devotion to God. This is why David knew a pure heart was essential to his ability to please the God he loved.
Just as the Lord told the nation of Israel how he tired of their meaningless offerings and adherence to rituals, He gives me the same message of real worship.  God desires not a religious follower, but a child who's heart is inclined toward Him and who's greatest desire is to obey Him

As a follower of Jesus, my heart must be fully devoted to Him as my Lord and Savior.

Actions

While my heart is the center of God's focus, my actions betray the condition of my heart.  Anyone who has studied the book of James knows that I can't get away with just reading and knowing God's Word, but I must also put it into action.  God reminds me in James 1:22 to, ". . .not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."

If my heart is wholly devoted to obeying God, I will act in a way that is in tune with His law, loving God and others.  Simply following the law, however, as a code of conduct outside of a committed relationship to God, leads to a brand of religion in the ugliest form.  The Bible then becomes a weapon used to cut others down and keep them away from God.

I recently met a young man who had, "religion shoved down my throat," as a youth.  Now, as a self-professed gay man, he is struggling to find his own spirituality.  Out of fear of the way his lifestyle conflicted with God's law, many well-intentioned religious people drove this image bearer from the very God whose love he craves.  

In order for my actions to line up with God's Word, my heart must be wholly devoted to God.  

Shield

As a believer who is living in a fallen world, I am constantly bombarded with worldly viewpoints and beliefs.  In order to keep from becoming just like the culture in which I live, I must guard myself intentionally against the thought patterns that so easily creep into my consciousness.

When presented with a crisis or an issue of some kind, what is my first reaction?  Do I immediately go before the Lord for comfort and guidance, or do I talk to others and get their advice and counsel?

While consulting with trusted friends and family is not wrong, this should not be my first response.  I have to admit, I desire to hash things out with someone who is right in front of me and whose voice I can clearly hear.  When I talk to God, I don't always get an answer right away and I certainly don't hold an audible conversation with Him! 

Taking in lots of advice from others, though, poses a threat.  I am flooded with all kinds of beliefs and ideas and I must then wade through it all to find the truth.  I am susceptible to falling for a worldly viewpoint which may make complete sense to my own understanding, disregarding God's plan. 

It is important that I go to God first to in order to find my grounding before sharing the problem with others.  Even though I can't audibly hear His voice, He supernaturally guides my thought patterns toward the truth.  Then I will be putting into action Proverbs 3:5-6.  "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."

In order for my heart to stay committed to God, I must shield myself from the principles of this world.


I am not a religious person.  I do, however, claim to follow Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.  As a believer, it is important that I devote my heart to pleasing God which will lead to actions that line up with His Word.  It is also vital that I protect my heart from the thought patterns of this world in order to stay committed to God. 


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that my only concern will be to please God.

How do I try to lean on my own understanding instead of trusting God in all things?

When do I run to people with my problems instead of falling on my knees before my Lord and Savior?

No comments:

Post a Comment