The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Expect the Unexpected

"When (Jesus) had finished speaking, 
he said to Simon,
'Put out into deep water, 
and let down the nets for a catch.'  
Simon answered, 'Master, we've worked hard all night 
and haven't caught anything.  
But because you say so, 
I will let down the nets.'  
When they had done so, 
they caught such a large number of fish 
that their nets began to break."



Expect the unexpected when following Jesus.  He doesn't work in ways I anticipate.  He doesn't do things the way they've always been done.  Jesus is unpredictable.

I live in a physical world created to behave in a predictable way.  Every morning the sun rises and every evening it sets.  The cycle of the moon phases can be used to tell time and fishermen know the tide schedule like they know the back of their hand.  

Knowing what to expect makes me feel like I'm in control, and I like to be in control.  The problem is. . . I'm not in control.  God is.

Trusting Jesus means letting Him work in supernatural ways that push the limits of my common sense.

Implausible Position

Joseph, favored son of Jacob, found himself in an Egyptian prison after a series of unfortunate events.  But God had a plan for good, and after spending several years in prison and some thirteen years after he was first sold into slavery by his brothers, Joseph found himself to be placed in a position of second-in-command in all of Egypt. 

How does a foreign slave end up being put in charge of the whole land of Egypt unless it is by the supernatural work of God?  Joseph found himself in this position not for his own glory or comfort, but in order that God could use him to draw His people to Egypt for help during a time of drought and famine.  Ultimately, this would be the mechanism by which God's people would become enslaved in Egypt and would eventually need a savior to rescue them.

What position do I hold that could be used for God's glory and to further His Kingdom?  Community leader?  Mother?  Teacher in a seemingly hopeless situation?  Mail Room Clerk?  CEO of a large corporation?  Mechanic in a dead end job?  Father?  Wherever God has placed me, he has chosen that position for a reason.  He has put me in contact with particular people for His purposes.  He has a plan that will defy common sense. 

If I find myself in a position I never dreamed I'd hold, it's time to look for where God is working and join in.  

Improbable Calling

Flash forward 400 years and witness a middle-aged man, self-exiled from his once lofty position in the Pharoah's palace to Midian, where he lived as a lowly shepherd.  As he was tending the flocks one day, Moses encountered the Lord in the unlikely location of a burning bush on a hillside.  Curiously, the bush burned but was not consumed.

It was there that Moses received his calling from God.  "I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt." (Exodus 3:10)  The Lord spent some time reassuring Moses, giving him several signs he could use to show that his message came from the Lord.  

Still, Moses could not get over his logic which told him, "Hey. . . you can't speak worth a lick!" Apparently, Moses had experienced some embarrassing or awkward incidents which left him with the impression that he wasn't any good at talking to people.  Especially large crowds of people.  Or leaders of powerful countries.  

It's easy to get caught up in my past experiences, snagged by my flaws and unable to move forward out of the fear of failure due to my own imperfections and weaknesses.  

But, as God said to Moses, "Who gave man his mouth?  Who makes him deaf or mute?  Who gives him sight or makes him blind?  Is it not I, the LORD?  Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."  (Exodus 4:11-12)

God is well aware of my flaws when He calls me to a certain task.  He made me that way, defects and all.  And He is not calling me because of my impeccable qualifications or my flawless record.  No.  He is calling me so that in my weakness, He will get all the glory.  He will supernaturally work through me to overcome those flaws.  And people will know that only God could do something like that!

Common sense says to pick he best person for the job, but God says the best person for the job is the one He picked.  

Incredible Strategy

Forty years later, the next generation of Israelites now led by Joshua, finds themselves on the cusp of a new adventure.  They finally get to enter the Promised Land they've been hearing so much about!  But there is one problem.  First, they must conquer the might city of Jericho.  This metropolis is surrounded by a lower retaining wall that measured about 12-15 feet high supplemented by a 20-foot wall built on top of that.  Further up the hill stood the inner wall, rising about 46 feet about ground level.  

Leveling this mighty fortress would not be easy.  But God had a plan. . .an incredible strategy. . . for the Israelites to leave the battle in His hands while they simply walked around the walled city, day after day.  On the seventh day, the wall collapsed as they finished their seventh trip around the city and, "every man charged straight in, and they took the city. " (Joshua 6:20)

What impossible feat has God placed before me today?  Waiting for a husband or wife?  Climbing out of debt?  Controlling my tongue?  Loving my enemies?  Healing a sick body?Whatever it is, God is up to the challenge!  

The biggest acts are not the ones accomplished with good strategy and common sense but which are left in God's hands and consequently give rise to spectacular endings.


My expectations can get in the way of God's supernatural work in my life.  If I only expect ordinary things from God, I will miss the implausible positions He places me in, the improbable ways He calls me to action, and the incredible strategies He uses to topple unbreachable foes.       In a nutshell, I should expect the unexpected when following Jesus.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will leave the battle in God's hands and stop limiting the scope of His work in my life.

How do I minimize the power of God in the way I expect Him to work?

When do I show a lack of faith in not giving a problem completely over to God and let Him solve it?






No comments:

Post a Comment