The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Lure or Repellent?

"Our actions will show that we belong to the truth,
so we will be confident when we stand before God."
1 John 3:19 NLT




Eric Liddell was an athlete and missionary to China whose Olympic track experiences were made into a 1981 movie called, "Chariots of Fire."  He knew the importance of walking the Christian walk, not just preaching about it.  When it came time to compete in his best event, the 100-yard race during the 1924 Olympics, he declined because the finals were scheduled to be held on a Sunday.  Out of reverence for God and his commandments, he switched to the 400-yard race in order to honor God by keeping the Sabbath holy.  

This decision made Eric the focus of much animosity in his home country of Scotland.  Some publicly called him a traitor for dropping out of a race he was destined to win.  In their eyes, he had let their country down.  But Eric's love for God and his passion to glorify Him was more important than any medal he could win for his country. 

Eric knew what it meant to, "do (everything) as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father." (Colossians 3:17 NLT)  He claimed that, "We are all missionaries.  Wherever we go, we either bring people nearer to Christ, or we repel them from Christ." 

Do my actions serve as a lure or a repellent?

Listen Well

Most of the time when I am listening to someone else talk, I am directing at least half of my attention toward what I will say next instead of in trying to understand what the speaker is saying.  This can cause a problem.

Not many people speak just to hear the sound of their own voices.  Rather, they say things in order to get their point across, to be understood and to be heard.  If I am not listening with the goal of understanding but am instead focusing on what I have to say, people will lose their trust in me as a listener.  No one, including my family members, will come to me for comfort during a time of trouble and I will have lost the opportunity to point them to God for encouragement, wisdom and peace.

James 1:17 instructs me to be, "quick to listen, slow to speak. . ."  It's so easy to give advice, counseling others on how they should handle their problems.  But my greatest need is to be understood.  Sometimes, the help I am so quick to offer is not really desired.  

It's like what Philip Stanhope, the Earl of Chesterfield said during the 1700's.  "Many a man would rather you heard his story than granted his request."

My desire to hear and understand others will serve to draw people nearer to Christ.

Slow to Anger

Laurence J. Peter, 20th Century educator and author of the Peter Principle, said, "Speak when you're angry--and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret."

I have regretted many a speech in my lifetime.  James not only advised in James 1 to focus more on listening to others, but he also said to be, "slow to get angry.  Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires." (v19-20)

Anger can rise up when my rights have been violated, when my expectations haven't been met or when I've been hurt.  Once anger rises, self-control and rational thought go out the window.  No good can come out of anger of this kind.

If my life is going to serve as a beacon of light in a dark world, I must let go of my selfish desire to be treated with respect by all people, for my expectations to always be met and for my feelings to never be hurt.  Focusing on me and my desires makes for an easily angered person.  Focusing on God and His master plan puts things into perspective and gives me a better outlook.  

My desire to see situations in the light of God's plan will dissipate anger and serve to draw people to Christ.

Control the Tongue

When I was a child, my neighbor let my sister and I ride their horse, "Pawny."  She was a bit ornery, but we had fun just the same.  It always amazed me how we could control this giant beast by placing a tiny bit in her mouth.  She may not want to go where we led her, but she gladly complied once the pressure was placed on her sensitive mouth through the bit .

In the same way my tongue is, "a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts.  Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark." (James 3:5)  Words are important; they can either be used to build up or to tear down.  

As powerful as the tongue is, it can be controlled. James claimed that, "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless." (James 1:26)  All the work I do, all the knowledge and wisdom I attain, all the sermons I preach with my life can be undone by a loose and destructive tongue.

Many times I think controlling my tongue is out of the question, but I must consider the words of the angel Gabriel, "For nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37)

God will give me the power to control my tongue so that other's will be drawn nearer to Christ.


My actions speak louder than words.  As I live my life in front of others as a testimony of God's love, may I learn to be a good listener, be slow to anger, and trust God for the strength to control my tongue.  In these ways, my life will serve as a lure, drawing others to Christ.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will trust in you to protect me instead of thinking I need to defend myself, consequently using my tongue in destructive ways.

How do focus on getting my thoughts across more than trying to understand another's ideas?

How does my tongue set a fire, damaging those I love the most?



No comments:

Post a Comment