The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Distracted by the Dust

"Hear, Israel, and be careful to obey
so that it may go well with you
and that you may increase greatly in a land
flowing with milk and honey,
just as the LORD,
the God of your ancestors, promised you.
  Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
 Love the LORD your God with all your heart
and with all your soul
and with all your strength.
These commandments that I give you today
are to be on your hearts."
Deuteronomy 6:3-6


The dust would be enough to get me.  The dry, gritty dirt everywhere. . . in my cooking pots, in my clothing, in my bedding, in my food, in my eyes.  The relentless hot wind blowing the stuff around, making cleaning an exercise in futility.  It would get under my skin after awhile.

The Israelites lived in tents under these kind of conditions as they received the above commandment from the Lord who brought them out of slavery in Egypt.  I can understand the constant relapse by the Israelites into an attitude of ingratitude and grumbling.  It happens to me all the time.

I complain about my hard life, how I'm busy from before the sun comes up until well after the day is done.  I am disappointed in the balance in my checking account compared to the pile of bills laying before me, waiting to be paid.  I gripe about my lack of imagination when it comes to preparing meals, I'm just tired of the same old thing.  I whine about not getting enough sleep.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining out loud.  All this bad attitude can be found in my heart. 

So, I can relate to the plight of the Israelites.  As easy as it is to criticize them and judge them, in reality I would behave in the same manner if I were in their shoes. 

God has chosen me to be one of His own; an adopted part of the nation of Israel by faith in Jesus Christ.  And as His child, He has called me to obey Him.  Not out of duty or fear, but out of love for Him.  But most of the time my heart has not love for Him. Rather, I am distracted by all the "dust."

Love God with All my Heart

Shakespeare coined the phrase, "In my heart of heart," for Hamlet, to mean in my heart's core, or in the most tender part of my heart.  As the seat of my emotions, the heart is a vulnerable place.  It is easy to harden my heart in order to protect it's susceptibility to injury. 

God calls me to love Him with all my heart, even with the most tender part.  If I were to completely let down my guard with God, my grumbling would be gone and I would experience contentment no matter where He placed me, or what circumstance I find myself because I would understand that He is all I need. 

My heart needs God.  He created my heart to love Him.  When I take God lightly, treating Him as a genie or a vending machine, only going to Him with things I want and need,  I jeopardize my heart.  Proverbs 28:14 reminds me that, " Blessed is the one who always trembles before God, but whoever hardens their heart falls into trouble."

Loving God with all my heart means trusting Him with the deepest part of me.


 Loving God with all my Soul

When I think of my soul, I think of the part of me that makes me who I am.  It is the part of me that will live eternally with Jesus.  My soul is the real me.

Loving God with all of me is hard.  I hold back many areas which I am not ready to surrender.  I am afraid if I love Him with abandon, He may ask me to do something which I am not comfortable doing.   Far be it from me to get out of my comfort zone!

Loving God with my soul means putting His plan, His will, His commandments above myself and desiring only that which is important to Him. 

People are important to God.  He created us in His image, and as image bearers, we are of the most value out of all His creation.  To be honest, I don't treat all of His most treasured as cherished.  Instead, I tend to treat others as a means to an end. 

If I'm on the phone with a foreign tech support agent who can't understand the technical issue I am having with my computer, it is easy for me to treat him disrespectfully out of frustration.  Or when I'm late for an appointment and another driver cuts me off, slowing down my forward progress and putting my life at stake, I may not harbour loving feelings toward that person.

Loving all of God's image bearers means that I am placing God at the forefront of my life as my Lord instead of placing myself in that position. 

Loving God with all my soul means treating others with love.

Loving God with all my Mind

My mind is constantly working; analyzing data, formulating strategies, reviewing endless lists, not to mention solving problems.  It is hard to quiet my mind. 

I could harness this analytical capacity and use it to study God and His Word, getting to know Him better.  While I believe there is great value in this exercise, I think there is a better way to love God with all my mind.

God says, "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations,  I will be exalted in the earth." (Psalm 46:10)  When I quiet my mind and focus my thoughts on God, I am reminded that He is supreme.  He is above all things.  He is the highest.

When I calm my thoughts, all things are put back into perspective and God rises to the pinnacle of my priorities.  He is Lord.

Loving God with all my mind means stilling my thoughts and knowing the magnitude of God.



I am easily distracted by all the difficulties of life, but God calls me to love Him.  By trusting Him with my heart of heart, loving all His image bearers, and quieting my mind, I can love Him with all my heart, soul and mind.



As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can quiet my mind and know that the Lord is my God.

In what way do I let annoyances and irritations distract me from loving God?

How do I shield my heart of heart from God?



No comments:

Post a Comment