The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Purpose in the Darkness

"What I tell you in the dark,
speak in the daylight;
what is whispered in your ear,
proclaim from the roofs."
Matthew 10:27

 "Songbirds are taught to sing in the dark,
and we are put into the shadow of God's hand
until we learn to hear Him."   
Oswald Chambers
My Utmost for His Highest



Sitting on the porch in the dark, I heard the most curious thing:  The sound of a bird chirping a tune I was used to hearing in the morning.  I wondered why that solitary creature chose to sing while all was shadows and quiet.  Knowing that birds act according to instinct, I figured God had wired that bird to sing His praises in the dead of night.

I am wired that way, too, but my sinful flesh gets in the way.  Hard times come and I immediately go into survival mode, shutting down all but the necessary functions.  I spend my time looking for answers and often forget all I have to sing about.

God told us that everything we go through has a purpose. . . His purpose.  But many times I get bogged down with the difficulties of life and forget this truth. 

Darkness, too, has a purpose. 

Training in Righteousness

I am made righteous through faith in Jesus Christ.  Nothing I do can make me holy and sinless. . . .only the blood of Jesus accomplishes this.

When hard times come, however, I am easily caught up in worry, forgetting that God knows what I need and will provide those requirements.  Instead of getting distracted by the cares of this world, I can focus on God and what He is doing through my present circumstances.  Jesus taught in Matthew 6:33 to, ". . .  seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

"All these things," include all the stuff I tend to worry about, especially in times of difficulty: food, shelter, clothing, paying the bills, resolving conflicts, time management, raising children. . .the list goes on. . .

Times of trial give me a chance to practice pursuing God's kingdom and righteousness.  Not as something I can possess for myself, but as a state of being.  I can either choose to live in His Kingdom as His child, or I can live as if I don't belong to Him, as if He will not supply my every need.

Darkness is a time to practice living in the light.

Learning to Listen

My husband and I recently attended a marriage conference which I highly recommend to any married couple.  As we worked on the projects together, we realized how much work it takes to listen.   I think of communication as conveying my message accurately and effectively.  But most of good communication is listening.  And not just listening, but paying attention with the goal of understanding.

Some of God's most powerful lessons are taught in the darkness.  When I'm going through a hard time, though, I do a lot of thinking, analyzing and discussing.  I look for answers, seeking solutions and searching for explanations but I don't spend much time listening to God's still, small voice.

If I did listen, He would teach me something.  And then I can take that lesson and use it to encourage others

Darkness is a time to learn to listen to the voice of God.

Growing in Faith

My ability to trust and have confidence in God is not from myself. It is not something I can generate from within.  Rather, it is from outside myself.   "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:8) 

God has given me the faith I need to not only trust Jesus as my Savior, but also to trust Him during difficult times.  I need, however, to practice using my faith during times of trouble. 

It reminds me of CPR training.  I learned the mechanics and the theory, but then I had to put it into practice in order to develop the skill.  I couldn't just listen to someone explain it and watch someone else do it.  I had to try it myself in order to really know how to perform CPR.

Faith is the same way.  I can read about everyone who has great faith and watch others live lives of great faith, but until I practice it myself I won't know how to use it.

Times of darkness give me a chance to develop the faith God has given me.


Trials have a purpose.  God allows them in order that I take the opportunity to go through training in righteousness, learn to listen to God, and grow in the faith God has given me. 

Darkness is not just a time to suffer.  Struggles are intentional and useful.

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will remember that God has a reason for my suffering.

How do I usually deal with hard times?

How can I begin to look at times of darkness as valuable?


2 comments:

  1. Five days ago, my mother suffered a stroke which has left her paralyzed on her left side. We are praying that she can regain some use of her left arm and leg as she is now in rehab. Two days ago, God just gave me the verse Matthew 10:27 out of the blue. In searching for commentary/devotions related to this verse, I came across your blog. Just wanted to let you know how blessed I was by what you wrote above related to this verse. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God that He blessed you in such a way. I am sorry to hear about the suffering your mother and your whole family is facing. In light of God's great love for us, I pray this will be a powerful time of growth as a family and in your relationships with our loving Father. Thank you for reaching out!

      Delete