The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Be on Guard

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 
 Put on the full armor of God,
so that you can take your stand
against the devil’s schemes."
Ephesians 6:10-11

"Be alert and of sober mind.
Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 
 Resist him, standing firm in the faith . . ."
1 Peter 5:8-9



Satan is sneaky.  He is always looking for ways to replace God as the most High, to divide us as believers, to deceive us and to ultimately destroy us.  Satan is serious about his mission and he never sleeps.

Consequently, I must never let my guard down.  Not so that I become suspicious and incapable of trusting anyone, but so I can do as Jesus instructed when He said, "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves."  (Matthew 10:16)

In my quest to reach out to the lost people around me, I sometimes become a victim of Satan's evil schemes.    He cleverly uses people to lure me into a trap, to tempt me into sin and thus disgrace the name of Jesus, or to plant a seed of doubt. 

Because of the constant nature of Satan's attacks, I must be like a soldier in battle; always fitted with the armour of God and ever ready to take up my weapons of warfare in prayer and the Sword of the Spirit ,which is the word of God.  After all, the battle is the Lord's!

Alert and Sober

War is serious business.  Ask any soldier and he will tell you that one can never let their guard down but must always be expecting attack.  A soldier's job is to recognize the threat and react appropriately when the inevitable assault comes.

My call as a follower of Christ is no different.  I have an enemy who will stop at nothing to destroy my faith, my testimony and my ministry.  Satan has many tactics at his disposal and will stop at nothing to reach his objective.

My family is one of my most important ministries.  As a mother and homemaker, it is my job to train up the children who have been placed in my care as well as to guard my home against all intruders.  Make no mistake about it, Satan is out to get our children! 

As a result, I must always be alert as to the threat and vigilantly and purposefully be looking for ways Satan is corrupting the minds and hearts of those placed in my care.  What belief system has snuck into my way of thinking that is contrary to God's teachings?  What forms of entertainment are poisoning the living water that flows out to my family?  How are intruders sneaking into my home and wreaking havoc?

I must expect attacks and always be looking for the evil that lurks, or the wolves in sheeps' clothing.

Resist

Once the threat has been identified, action can be taken.  I have been assured that, "You, dear children, are from God . . . .the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." (1 John 4:4)

Even though Satan is constantly at work, Jesus has authority over him as a created being.   As one who belongs to Jesus, Satan has no authority over me.  This means I can stand up to him.  I do not have to fall for his schemes.  I can refuse to go along with him.  I can resist.

My battle plan is laid out in James 4:7.  "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."  Satan will retreat when I put myself under God's dominion and defy my enemy's schemes.

When a guest in my home attempts to draw me into an argument, I can withstand the temptation and respond in a loving, peaceful way, thus diffusing the conflict.  When technology threatens to fritter away the precious moments God has given me to glorify Him that day, I can choose better uses of my time.  When children push my buttons, attempting to manipulate me into allowing destructive practices or forms of entertainment, I am instead able to select God-honoring alternatives.

As I recognize the attacks of the Evil One, I am able to withstand them.

Stand Firm

I remember a game we frequently played on the playground during grade school called, "Red Rover."  Two teams would stand holding hands in lines facing each other.  One team would call one of the opponents over, at which time that chosen player would run with all their might, attempting to break through the clasped hands.  I found that if I could withstand the initial attack, it was much easier to resist subsequent efforts at breaking the bond. Unfortunately, if we let our guard down, that opponent could sneak through our weakened defenses and my teammates and I would lose a player to the other team.

Similarly, once I have recognized and resisted the attack, it is now my duty to not lose any ground to the enemy.  If I let my guard down, thinking the attack is over, I might step back and give in.

It is easy to compromise principles, negotiate standards or find the middle ground in order to keep from rocking the boat.  But God calls me to stand firm, not as a way of defending God.  He needs no one to defend Him.  Instead, I am encouraged to, "stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you. . ." (2 Thessalonians 2:15)

Standing firm entails constant immersion in God's Word, continual communication with His Spirit, and steady plodding toward the goal of Christ-likeness. 


As a follower of Christ, I have an enemy that doesn't give up.  It is important to acknowledge his presence without giving him too much attention.  A healthy balance must be found as I stay alert and focused, resist his schemes and stand firm for the Truth as I've been taught.

Satan only has as much power as I give him.  I must be careful to not unknowingly give him dominion over any part of my life.

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will take my job of recognizing Satan's attacks seriously.

Where is my line of defense weak against Satan?  What areas am I weak and susceptible to attack?

How can I do a better job of standing firm by better getting to know God and my position as His child?





No comments:

Post a Comment