The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Going the Distance

"And whatever you do, 
whether in word or deed, 
do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, 
giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 3:17


"Our attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
 Who, being in very nature God, 

   did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 

 but made himself nothing, 

   taking the very nature of a servant. . ."
Philippians 2:5-7a



I have heard it said that, "No good deed goes unpunished."  While it may sometimes seem this way, this sentiment is more of a cry of frustration when I do things for the wrong reasons than an adage by which to live.

As a follower of Christ, I can choose to do things out of "Christian duty," or obligation or to fulfill an expectation others have for me.  It's almost as if I'm carrying out the work in accordance with a job description for Christians that could go something like this.  "Love others at all times, serve tirelessly, think of others more highly than self, preach the gospel at every opportunity and do it all with a gracious and gentle spirit."

That is a tall order!  While all of those criteria came straight from scripture, I cannot expect to fulfill them in my own strength or out of sheer will.  Jesus reminds me in John 15:5 that I can't do it on my own.  He said, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

Trying to do things out of my own strength with lead to discouragement, frustration and disappointment.  But there is a better way.

Motivation

Steven Curtis Chapman sings a song which speaks to my desire to do things that matter.  The monotonous, everyday things seem meaningless and doing them day in and day out can lead to feelings of frustration, discontentment and bitterness.  I think, What's the point.  No one cares, no one ever thanks me and I don't think I'm making much of a difference.  

Take a moment to listen to, "Do Everything."


Why do I do the things I do?  If I do them to please others, I will grow increasingly discouraged and may become irritable around those I am serving.  

If, instead, I do it out of a love for God, seeking to please Him in all that I do, there will be peace and contentment in my heart.  I want to be able to say, as the Apostle Paul did in Galatians 1:10, "Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

If my motivation for doing all the things that must be done in life is to please God, I will not grow discouraged.

Expectations

As a wife and mother, I have a lot of expectations.  Some of them are reasonable, some are excessive.  All, however, are completely mine.

During my husband's Army career, our family moved to Germany.  As part of the preparation for this transfer, we received a packet of information about the country in which we'd be living.  Knowing what to expect was very helpful and made for an easier transition.

Expectations influence my attitude.  Paul explained in Philippians 2:5-7 (see above) how I can improve my attitude and keep from becoming frustrated when my expectations regarding how I should be treated are not met.  Knowing what to expect from others is beneficial.

Jesus is God the Son, creator of heaven and earth and worthy of all praise.  In the end, every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that He is Lord.  (Philippians 2:9-11)  If He came to earth as a human and expected to be treated as a lowly servant, to be spat upon and treated like dirt, how can I as a sinful human who is the enemy of God without the blood of Jesus expect better treatment?  

If my expectation is for others to treat me as Jesus was treated instead of demanding respect and regard, then I will not be disappointed

Attitude

William Bennett, conservative politician and writer said, "There are no menial jobs, only menial attitudes."  The way I see myself and my lot in life influences my outlook.  Knowing that God has located me in the position I now hold, placed specific people around me according to His plan and gave me the responsibilities that sometimes feel overwhelming can change my attitude.  

Everything happens for a reason and there is no such thing as a fluke.  If I believe this, my attitude will be one of thankful acceptance.



There is a lot of work to be done, as Jesus said, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few." (Luke 10:2)  But how long I last out in the field depends upon my motivation for doing the work, and my expectation in how I will be treated.   Both result in an attitude that can either make me or break me.  


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can do everything to please God, not to make myself look good or to meet others expectations for me.

How does my attitude quickly take a nose dive as I am met with unforeseen difficulties?  

How does my expectation that others will treat me with respect show a desire to glorify myself instead of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment