The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, February 24, 2012

All I Need


"By his divine power, 
God has given us everything we need 
for living a godly life.  
We have received all of this by coming to know him, 
the one who called us to himself 
by means of his marvelous glory and excellence."
2 Peter 1:3



There are a lot of things I think I need.  I believe I cannot survive without my favorite beverage, or a special pillow to lay my head on at night, or a much loved television show, or a treasured heirloom.  While all of these things certainly make life a little more comfortable, meaningful and enjoyable, life is not meant to be about my contentment.

Whereas I do believe God wants us to enjoy life and His creation, I don't think I am called to go after comfort, for it can easily become an idol.  As soon as I place a thing, a belief or a relationship in the category of "need," it has become something I will have a hard time giving up.  And anything I hold onto as necessary for life has taken on more importance than Jesus.  He is all I truly need.

There is a pastor in Iran named Youcef Nadarkhani who understands this truth.  He is reported to have received a final execution order for his unwillingness to recant his faith in Jesus Christ and instead place his trust in Allah.  Youcef knows Jesus as his personal Savior.  As a result, he is willing to lay down his life for his Friend because Jesus is more valuable than his very life.

What do I gain by coming to know Jesus in such an intimate way?

Life

Jesus called Himself the gate, or the only way to gain entry to eternal life, as recorded in the Gospel of John chapter 10. He said, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (v 10b)

My life does not meet God's standard of perfect obedience to His law.  In this way, I am a sinner who earns death for my disobedience.  But out of His great love for me, God offers life through faith in Jesus Christ.  When He died on the cross, He willingly took the punishment for my sins, giving me a second chance at life.  Instead of facing the death penalty, I now look forward to an abundant life both here and in eternity.  

With the hope of heaven firmly within my grasp, what else do I need?

Purpose

"What is the meaning of life?"  Philosophers have been trying to answer this question for all time.  Plato believed meaning came from attaining the highest form of knowledge.  Aristotle thought a meaningful life came by doing everything with the goal of doing good while Aristippus of Cyrene believed pleasure was the supreme good so true meaning came from fulfilling one's immediate gratification. 

While these truth-seekers came across some interesting philosophies, they all fell short in the end.  True meaning cannot be found apart from the One who created me.  In order to find my purpose, I must ask my Creator.

It's like the mystery icon on the dashboard of my Yukon.  I cannot for the life of me figure out what purpose the symbol serves using my own understanding, intellect and reasoning.  I must go to the manufacturer of my vehicle to learn the purpose for which this icon was created. 

God tells me in Jeremiah 29:11 that He is the one who knows the plans for my life, and despite what I am going through right now, those plans give me hope and a future.  Not only is He the author of the blueprint for my life, but for the lives of every human.  David's prayer found in Psalm 86:9 reveals the purpose for my life.  "All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, Lord; they will bring glory to your name." 

I am here to to glorify God; for every part of my life to showcase His attributes and point to Him.

With such a clear purpose for my life, what else do I need?

Peace 

Many young women who have competed in beauty pageants like to cite the elusive "World Peace," as their goal for humanity.  Likewise, the Nobel Peace Prize was created with the goal of rewarding those who do the most work toward promoting peace between nations.  Peace is a noble goal, but where peace is really needed is within one's self.

Freedom from strife and turmoil can only be found in relationship with Jesus.  He said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

With the peace that passes understanding guarding my heart and mind, what else do I need? 


There are many things I think I need, but when it comes down to it, the only thing I truly need is a relationship with Jesus.  Through Him I receive salvation, a sense of purpose and a peace that cannot be explained.  He truly has given me all that I need!

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will redefine the meaning of the word "need."

What things am I holding onto so tightly that I cannot get a good grip of Jesus?

What hinders the peace Jesus has given me?





No comments:

Post a Comment