The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Real Peace

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.
John 14:27



Hindu Prince Guatama Siddharta, founder of Buddhism, is credited with saying, "Peace comes from within.  Do not seek it without."  The problem with this philosophy is that I would have to live away from people, away from the troubles of this world, and away from all the things I fear in order to have any chance of finding quiet and tranquility in my heart.  And then I'm afraid it wouldn't be authentic peace I would find but simply a lack of conflict and difficulties.

Living in the real world, however, I find myself deep in conflict and difficulties leading to all kinds of worry, strife and drama.  It's funny how followers of Buddhism find it essential to separate themselves from the world in order to find enlightenment and peace.  This is because life is filled with trouble and sets my heart to trembling.  If I choose to go off by myself in order to find some peace, I would be ignoring all the suffering around me as well as all those who depend on me, like my family.  God did not put me in this world so that I could go on a selfish quest for inner peace.  He put me here so I could find Him, my Creator, and in so doing would find the peace that only He can give in the midst of the hullabaloo.

From God

Academic, writer and deep thinker CS Lewis said, "God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself because it is not there.  There is no such thing." 

The Apostle Paul revealed the secret of inner peace in chapter 4 verses 6 and 7 in his letter to the believers at Philippi.  " Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Peace is available from God as I give Him all my worries, allowing Him to carry my load for me.  The disharmony I experience in my heart comes from holding on to everything that troubles me.  Letting go gives His peace a chance to rule in my heart.   

I am able to experience peace within, but it comes from without.  Real peace comes from God.

How the World Gives

Apart from God my life is harsh and filled with suffering that offers nothing but pain.  In relationship with God, the cruelty and pain still exists, but I have peace within.  

All those who live for themselves apart from God make up what Jesus calls, "The World."  Without God's influence, I am self-centered and only give that which will benefit me in return.  I am more concerned with what's in it for me than in the welfare of the receiver.

Jesus does not give like this.  Instead, He is primarily concerned with the will of His Father and in carrying out His plan.  Part of God's plan is to bring glory to Himself.  The only way I, as a fallen, sinful human, can bring glory to God is through the transforming work Jesus does as I submit myself to Him.  In this way, more of Jesus shows through me as I go about my day and I consequently please God. 

When I exchange my worries for God's peace, I am not simply concerned for my own welfare but am glorifying God as a side-effect.  Jesus gives peace so that I can glorify God.  The world gives things so that I can feel satisfied and fill my desiresled. 
The world gives to please itself, but Jesus gives to glorify His Father.

Heart

I often hear the advice to follow my heart.  But God gives us the truth through the prophet Jeremiah, "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure."  (Jeremiah 17:9)

Following my heart will lead me into trouble, taking me to places I do not belong.  My heart is only concerned with my wants and desires, but does not know what is best for me. Following God, however, will not disappoint.

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes;  its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”  (Jeremiah 17:7-8)

Better to lives as aa leafy green tree that thrives even in the midst of hard times than a scrawny dry stalk that shrivels at the first sight of trouble.

If I want real peace I need to look beyond my heart and instead trust in the Lord. 


The quest for peace is a praiseworthy pursuit.  Peace comes from God in order to bring glory to Himself as a result of trusting Him.  Give real peace a chance, won't you?


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can surrender my worries to my Father and allow peace to rule in my heart.


Is peace lacking in my heart?  If so, what worries of which do I need to let go?


In what ways do I give as the world gives; only to please myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment