The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Into the Light

"But you are a chosen people,
a royal priesthood, a holy nation,
God’s special possession,
that you may declare
the praises of him who called you out of darkness
into his wonderful light."
1 Peter 2:9



The three hooded men followed us, staying in the shadows as the four of us walked along a deserted part of the village.  We picked up our pace, praying as we looked around for someone that might be able to help us.  As we turned the corner, I snuck a peek back at the menacing threesome.  They walked into the light of a lamppost and I noticed a lock of hair slip out from the hood of one of our followers and realized the threatening trio appeared to be a harmless group of girls.  The light had removed the threat and revealed the truth.

As God's chosen people, we are not called to walk in the darkness where temptation and evil dwells.  Instead, we are children of the light, belonging to a God who is the Father of Lights, Author of all good things.  As a dweller of the world, I am constantly tempted to step into the darkness, out of the glorious illumination that comes from my Savior.  I am called to the light, but I do not automatically dwell there.  I must struggle to walk in the light, as He is in the light.

God is Light

When we bought our house, I remember asking the Realtor if we could have smooth ceilings instead of the usual popcorn texture.  She explained that the textured surface helps to hide flaws in workmanship, uneven surfaces and a myriad of defects.  For this reason it is the preferred surface treatment.

Darkness has a similar concealing effect.  There is no darkness in God: He is light.  If I claim affiliation to Him, yet am constantly giving into the sinful desires of my flesh, I am not being honest and truthful.  I am in the shadows, allowing it to hide the stronghold Satan has on that part of my life.   

If I am instead honest with God about my struggle, bringing it into the light and letting Him illuminate the sin, I am claiming His power over the hold that sin has on me, thus releasing it to Him.  The light breaks the strength of the iron-grip that transgression held upon me.

His Light severs sin's grasp.

Fellowship is Restored

Hanging out in the shadows of my sin hampers the bond I share with my brothers and sisters in Christ.  If I am not being honest with God about my struggles, then it follows that I am not being honest with my family, either.  God created us to live together in community, as one Body. 

I recently was suffering from some knee pain, and it effected my entire body.  My other leg had to carry more of my weight as I favored the bad leg.  I utilized the railings when negotiating the stairs, putting more stress on my upper body.  My calf began to ache because I had unknowingly altered my gait in order to protect the bum knee.  Once I recovered, I needed to do some retraining to begin doing things the normal way, the way God intended my body to function.

It is the same with the Body of Christ.  When I am not honest with my struggles, choosing to hide them in order to save face, I effect the rest of the Body.  Others have to pick up the slack where I am unable to serve due to my affliction.  I am not pulling my weight, functioning as God intended because I am too busy trying to hide my issues. 

Once I step into the Light, I can function as designed within the family of God, sharing all the gifts God has given me, loving others as He has loved me, and supporting those who need extra grace. 

The Light dissolves the fear of discovery and I am free to be me!

Purified from Sin

Once my sin has been exposed by the Light, my fellowship with others has been restored and I can benefit from the purification of my sin by the blood of Jesus. 

When Jesus died on the cross, one of His final words were, "It is finished."  The purpose for his coming to the earth, suffering at the hands of His own creation, and dying a brutal death was accomplished.  God requires death as a punishment for our sin, our failing to live up to His standard, but He loves us so much that He sent His Son to take the penalty in our place.  Once Jesus gave up His Spirit as He died on the cross, this objective was complete.  Our sins were covered, our penalty paid, our judgement resolved.  I am forgiven.

But I don't always live like I'm forgiven.  I act as if I have no other choice but to give into the temptation to do things my way instead of God's way. I wallow in the guilt of past sins, continue to suffer from the pain sin has caused, or nurse the bitterness stemming from the sin of others.   

I do, however, have a choice.  I can step into the light, into the cleansing radiance where the contamination of sin in my life is removed. 

In the Light, guilt is gone, hurt is healed, and anger is absolved.


I am called into the light, but stepping into the light takes effort, a sense of purpose and a strong will, all of which are powered by the love of God.  Then my fellowship with others is restored, and my sins are purified.



As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can stop trying to hide things from God, instead choosing to be honest with Him who loves me beyond all scope of my imagination.

Where do I play games with God, pretending not to see the so-called pink elephant in the middle of the room?

What relationships have been hampered by the shadows in my life?



No comments:

Post a Comment