The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What's in a Name?

“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,"
Matthew 6:9

"Let them praise the name of the LORD,
   for his name alone is exalted;"
Psalm 148:13 



"What's in a name? that which we call a rose,  By any other name would smell as sweet;" * 

Many of you probably recognize this poetic line from Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet.  Juliet was saying that Romeo, born under another name, would still be the one with which she was madly in love.  To Juliet, who Romeo was seemed more important than what he was called.

This is not the case with God.  Even His name is special, set apart and to be revered.   The Lord is very concerned about His name, as demonstrated in the restraint He showed toward His disobedient and rebellious people.  "For my own name’s sake I delay my wrath; (Isaiah 48:9)  God's name is of the utmost importance. 

David knew the significance of preserving the name of the Lord.  He said, "For the sake of your name, O LORD, forgive my iniquity, though it is great." (Psalm 25:11)  David's main concern was for people to link God's name with His qualities: grace, mercy, love, justice, righteousness, holiness, etc.  This was more important to David than his own welfare.

Jesus demonstrated the reverence He held for His Father's name, in what He said after predicting His death to His disciples.  " 'Father, glorify your name!' Then a voice came from heaven, 'I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.' " (John 12:8) God's response speaks to the purpose for all of creation: To lift up the Name of the Creator and sovereign Lord.

How do I treat the name of my God in the way I use it in everyday life?  Do I purposefully act in a way that will bring glory and honor to His name?  Is the integrity of His name even something that crosses my mind?

 Respect

It is easy to fall into a familiar, casual relationship with God.  I have heard people refer to Him as "The Big Guy Upstairs," or to say that, "He's my main man,"  thinking that in their laid-back manner they are showing their love for Him, kind of like a friend.  But God himself never demonstrated that kind of lack of respect for His name, rather He expected a reverence for not just Him, but also His very name

It is quite common to casually use God's name in amazement or irritability, almost like a swear word, as in, "Oh my God!"  As my Savior and Creator, the Author of my faith and the Giver of all good things, He deserves so much more than this.  I must guard against falling into the practice of casually uttering His name as if it were common.  The name of God is not common, it is holy, and should be set aside for use in only ways that will make Him look good and show reverence.

It reminds me of my dishes.  I have a set of heirloom china that is only used on special occasions.  I do not use it every day, and when I do bring it out, I treat it more carefully than I do my other dishes.  This is similar to how my attitude should be toward the name of the Lord.  I need to be careful and only use it in ways that will bring glory and honor to Him.

As a bearer of God's image, I need to be mindful of where I go, what I do and how I think.


Honor and Glory

In the Japanese culture, the honor of the family is very important.   Schools, careers and mates are chosen in such a way to reflect well upon the family.  It is the highest goal in society to create a sense of respect and admiration for one's own family name.  

In the same way, I can make it my highest goal to honor and glorify the name of the Lord.  Every decision I make, every step I take, every word I utter, could be with the thought that I can lift up the name of the Lord in these actions! In this way, I will live out the admonition of the apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 10:31, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."


Integrity

God is perfect, good and just.  He does not need my help as a PR person to give Him a better reputation in the world.  After all, Jesus clearly warned us that we would be hated for following Him.  The world is the enemy of God because of sin.  I cannot make anyone hold respect and honor for God, only He can change a heart.

What I can do is be constantly concerned for the integrity of the Lord's name in my thought life.  Just as we are exhorted in Philippians 4:8, ". . . whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things,"  I need to be purposeful in what I think about. 

My thoughts easily go to thoughts of worry about the future, finances or friendships.  I can also spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm going to do that day, or I often dwell on past conversations, rehashing them to death, beating myself up for stupid things I said.  

But are these thoughts showing reverence for God, or a complete disregard for Him?  It's easy to say, "Well, we can't think about God 24/7!" but I can focus my thoughts on things that bring glory to His name.

Even though Shakespeare didn't think a name was all that important, God does.  And I can show this same regard in the respectful way I use His name, in how my actions bring honor to His name, and in what I choose to think about.

As I begin this day, I pray that I will honor God's name in the way I speak, act and think.

How do I fritter away my time thinking about trivial things when I could be meditating on God's glorious name?

Where do I have no business going as a bearer of God's image, thus treating His name as common?







* From Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, 1600

No comments:

Post a Comment