The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Land of the Living

"Anyone who is among the living has hope--"
Ecclesiastes 9:4

"Wait for the LORD;
   be strong, and let your heart take courage;
   wait for the LORD!"
Psalm 27:14 (ESV)



It is easy in this life to lose hope, no longer expecting that things will get better, that situations will improve or feelings will return to a healthy state. Life is hard and has a way of running me down into a state of discouragement, desperation and hopelessness.

Life

There was a point in my life when I felt hopeless.  My situation was such that I feared nothing could improve and I contemplated suicide, thinking that if things couldn't get better, I might as well end it all.  But I soon learned this train of thought is a lie and could not be further from the truth!

If my life is a mistake, created through a random sequence of events that just happened to form me in my mother's womb and the place in which I find myself is due to pure chance, then it follows that the odds of my circumstances getting better are slim to none. I therefore have no hope. 

On the other hand, if life is created with a purpose in mind, each part fulfilling a part of a master plan, then my present circumstances serve a function

Since God did, in fact, create me for a specific reason, everything I go through supports that purpose and as a result, my life bears meaning. 

As long as I am still alive, it is safe to assume that He has a reason for my life, and in Him I have hope!

Hold On!


There's a great song my Mandisa that encourages me to wait on the Lord. As you listen to "Stronger", consider the following:

God has a plan, but sometimes the execution of that plan requires that I wait.  In the time of waiting I learn patience, grow in my faith, and gain experience in trusting the One who is above all things and never lacks for resources needed to help me.  Above all, waiting teaches me that God is the One in control, not me!

If it were up to me, I would never have to wait for anything.  I would get everything I want exactly when I want it.  Have you ever seen a spoiled child?  This is who I would become.  Waiting on the Lord builds my character and humbles me so that I am put in my proper place.  Instead of naively thinking I can control all circumstances, I learn to surrender my will for God's, giving Him dominion over my life.

I can hang on because God has a plan and I am a part of that plan!



Give God a Chance

I am not renowned for my patience.  I have been known to make rash decisions, lash out in frustration and hurt those I love the most.  But one of the most common mistakes I make is that I don't give God a chance to work in my life.  Instead, I try to fix things myself.  I analyze the situation, come up with a solution and execute that plan.

If, instead, I stood strong and let God encourage my heart, my situation may not change and my problems would probably still exist, but my heart would be at peace.  And a heart at peace can handle anything!

Then I could confidently say, " Surely God is my salvation;  I will trust and not be afraid.
The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.” (Isaiah 12:2)

 



Life is filled with seemingly hopeless situations.  But I don't have to fall into hopelessness.  Instead, I can remember that as long as I'm alive, God still has a use for me and that I need to hold on just a little bit longer.  Then I can keep in mind that He's in control and I can give Him a chance to work in my heart, enabling me to move forward with quiet strength.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will remember that I am here for a purpose and everything that happens plays a part in the fulfillment of that plan.

Where do I dismiss God's plan and His sovereignty, thinking I can fix my own problems?




No comments:

Post a Comment