The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Amazing God

“Have you entered the storehouses of the snow
   or seen the storehouses of the hail,
which I reserve for times of trouble,
   for days of war and battle?
What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed,
   or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth?
Who cuts a channel for the torrents of rain,
   and a path for the thunderstorm,
to water a land where no one lives,
   an uninhabited desert, 
 to satisfy a desolate wasteland
   and make it sprout with grass?"
Job 38:22-27

 

"Who has told every lightning bolt where it should go
Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow
Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light
Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night
None can fathom"

from "Indescribable"
written by Laura Story for Chris Tomlin




I recently watched "Apollo 13,"  the 1995 movie about the failed attempt of the NASA Space Program to land another crew on the face of the moon in 1970.  The spacecraft suffered an explosion in one of the oxygen tanks, crippling its service module which caused the crew to abort their mission, severely hampering their ability to return home.  The film illustrates the hard work and dedication of the hundreds who worked to bring the three back safely to earth. 

It struck me that the depiction of this event in our country's history contained not one reference to God.  He was not acknowledged as the One who created the beautiful vistas the astronauts enjoyed, or Who protected them throughout their ordeal, or even as the One who gave them the intelligence and the inspiration to come up with the solutions to the many problems the explosion caused.  Instead, all the glory was given to man.

I don't want to fall into the trap of revelling in my own glory, as is so easy to do.  Instead, I want to be a woman who is actively looking for ways to praise God, marveling at His Creation and never growing weary of wondering over the details He added to His masterpiece that is found all around me.  I want to take seriously the advice found in Proverbs 3:6, "in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Creation

Have you ever marveled at the intricate, delicate detail found in a single tulip blossom?  God etched beautiful embellishments on the petal of each single bloom and adorned them with gorgeous eye-popping colors sure to bring even the most dull of senses out of the winter doldrums and headlong into the splendor of Spring.

How does my maple tree know when to burst forth into radiant color each Fall, dropping its leaves at the appointed time?  Who tells the birds to fly South at the coming of Winter, or brings them back as the weather warms?  What mechanism exists in a newborn calf that gives the tiny creature instructions on how to stand on wobbly knees and head butt her mama's udder in order to help her release the warm, life-giving milk into his newly formed mouth? 

The Lord is truly amazing, and I will ever praise Him!

Circumstances

When I think of miracles, my mind tends to consider healings, amazing rescues or survival stories.  But what about the way God organizes ordinary, everyday events that come together in such a way as to set forth God's plan?  

If I am going to run into an old friend at the store, I must leave home at just the right time so that I will walk into the store and enter the aisle in which my friend is shopping at exactly the right moment.  There are a million things that could go wrong; a traffic light stopping me, the dog needing to be let out before I leave, a phone call delaying my departure, or the inability to find a parking place.  That doesn't even take into account the route I take within the store that leads me right to the divine appointment.  It boggles my mind to think of all the variables. 

But that is only one insignificant happening in my life.  Multiply that by all the events that occur in the course of my life, and then again by the 7 billion people found in the world today and you have yourself a miracle!  As the wisdom of Solomon found recorded in Ecclesiastes 3:11 reminds me, "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end."

The Lord is entirely complex, and I will ever praise Him!

Continuance

My daughters were talking the other day about God's forethought and planning, and imagining what life would be like if instead of delivering babies, humans laid eggs!  We would have to carry these delicate, fragile eggs around, constantly keeping them warm until it was time for them to hatch.  As humans, we are completely ill-equipped for egg incubation!

In His wisdom, God designed our bodily functions to work in tandem with each other, every system coming together on a minute-by-minute basis in order to sustain life.  Consider the fact that the human body is made up of over 200 bones, 600 muscles, 22 internal organs, 11 major systems and over 19 million skin cells!  All of these parts must each function as designed in order for life to continue.  The human body is a magnificent creation, conceived in the mind of God.

The Lord is a God of planning and forethought and I will ever praise Him!

As I see all the details that come together throughout my day, I can either take credit for how well things turned out, or I can give praise where praise is due.  It is my objective to live my life intentionally praising God for His creation, His control over circumstances, and His plan evident in the conception and continuance of life.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can keep the amazing attributes of God at the forefront of my thoughts. 

How do I take for granted all that God has created?

When do I forget that my footsteps are ordered by God and instead become upset at the slightest delay or aggravation?


No comments:

Post a Comment