The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Iron Sharpens Iron

"As iron sharpens iron,
   so one person sharpens another."
Proverbs 27:17



I was inspired recently by a friend of mine who uses this blog as a devotional for her 3 sons.  They explore the Biblical truths, talk through difficult issues and ponder deep thoughts.

When I first began writing this blog a couple of months ago, that was my intention; that the thoughts recorded here would inspire readers to live out Deuteronomy 6:6-9 as my friend so beautifully demonstrates. 

"These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates."

God desires for me to do more than simply read His Word.  He wants me to delight in it, to examine it, and to put it in to practice.

Delight

When I think of delight, I think of the way my dog reacts when he sees the leash and knows he is going for a walk.  He becomes very excited and can't wait to hit the road and start his adventure!

This is how I want to be with God and His Word; to brim with enthusiasm over studying His Word and learning more about Him.  

Examine

I remember an inspection we endured when moving out of Army housing at Ft Bragg.  We had hired a cleaning team to come in and thoroughly scour the entire quarters, but first we had to pass the inspection.  In anticipation of the renowned difficult clearing process at the North Carolina Army Post, I had done some preliminary cleaning and inspection of my own.  But nothing prepared me for his thorough examination of the bottom of the inside of our garbage can or the corners of the outsides of the windows!  Needless to say, we failed that inspection.

If I examined God's word using the same gusto this man employed in carrying out his inspection duties, I would know God better than I do.  Examining involves careful scrutiny and thorough investigation.  It takes time and effort, but produces a deeper understanding of God and His law.

Practice

It is relatively easy to read and study God's Word.  The real difficulty comes in putting it into practice!  James implores me in chapter 1 verse 22 to, ". . . not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."

I love to read the Proverbs and chuckle at some of the vivid word imagery or stand in awe of the wisdom Jesus dispensed during His time in human form.  But when it comes to living it out, I struggle.  For example, Jesus said in Matthew 5:39 to, "not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

Another difficult word comes in Ephesians 4:29 where the challenging instruction is to, ". . . not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. "

And I always snicker at the picture conveyed in Proverbs 27:15-16, but I struggle with the content of the message. "A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day;
restraining her is like restraining the wind or grasping oil with the hand."

I want God's Word to transform me and fashion me into a new creation



Spending time with others in deliberation and discussion of scripture is vital to my spiritual growth.  I am inspired by my friend to take Deuteronomy 6:6-9 to heart and make a conscious effort to delight in His Word, examine it and obey it as I meditate upon His statues and discuss them with my family and friends throughout the day.  Won't you join me?


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will take your commands seriously, keeping them always on my mind.

When am I more eager to discuss the latest book or movie, but not what I'm studying in the Bible?

How can I begin a practice of regular discussion of God's Word in my home? 

No comments:

Post a Comment