The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Comfort

"Blessed are those who mourn,
   for they will be comforted."
Matthew 5:4

"Weeping may tarry for the night,
   but joy comes with the morning."
Psalm 30:5 (ESV) 



The pit loomed up in front of her until she could not resist the power of it.  The darkness lured her deeper and deeper in, promising relief from her grief, her sorrow, her guilt.  That's all she wanted: relief.  She didn't want to feel anymore, but wanted to go somewhere safe from the suffering.  This is what the shadows promised, so she let herself sink in, oblivious to the loving Hand that was reaching down to her, offering her real comfort.

No one likes to suffer.  Unfortunately, living in a fallen worlds means we'll experience plenty of it while we're here.  But life with Jesus offers hope. Hope not just for an eternity with Him, but the hope of the comfort of God in times of trouble. 

Blessed

Why would God want me to suffer?  To mourn the loss of a loved one, to grieve over past sin and the hurt it caused others, to lament over physical afflictions far too heavy to bear.  Doesn't He care?

If my happiness and contentment was the purpose for my life, then I would agree that God is a cruel and heartless God to allow all this suffering.  But, as pastor Paul Powell said, "God is more concerned about our character than our comfort. His goal is not to pamper us physically but to perfect us spiritually."

I will never know the blessing of comfort from the very hand of God until I am in the position to need comfort.  Those who have suffered much, have an abundance of compassion to pour out upon others because they themselves have received much from God.  He is, "the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,  who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." (2 Corinthians 1:3)

I will never know true comfort until I allow God to ease my pain.  If I choose to wallow in the suffering, sinking into that dark place, out of the Light of His love, my anguish is prolonged.  But if I step into the Light, He will envelope me in His loving arms, taking my burden of pain, grief, sorrow and guilt. 

My load is lightened, and I am blessed by God's touch.

Temporary

God promises that the suffering will not last forever but joy will come in the morning.  This may be a comfort in and of itself.  Sometimes, the worst part of going through a difficult time is thinking that it will never end.  I will always feel this way.  I will never go back to normal.  But this is not of God.  He offers hope.

It reminds me of when I was in the hospital on strict bed rest for 2 months while I was pregnant with my triplet daughters.  I thought the time would never end, especially since I was there for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Even though my heart yearned for home, the doctors assured me that this was temporary and it was for the good of the babies.  I now see the wisdom in their counsel, for the time of confinement paid off with the birth of three beautiful, perfectly formed infants. 

In a similar way, our time of suffering gives birth to character traits that can only be produced through pain. ". . .we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." (Romans 5:3-5) 

This temporary time of sorrow leads to things much greater than I can imagine.

Joy

Joy is not a word I think of in the same thought as grief.  I think of angels rejoicing at the birth of Christ, or the celebration in heaven when one sinner repents.  But I can honor this time of suffering, for it brings about the opportunity to experience the hand of God in my life.  No one else but God can lift me out of the doldrums, rescue me from the pit of despair, or give me the strength to walk from the deep shadows into the Light. 

To come into contact with the One who created me in such an intimate way is indeed a reason to rejoice.  It is the only way that joy can come at the end of suffering; because the mighty Hand of God gently caressed my tender, hurting heart, bringing about a healing not otherwise possible.

The touch of God brought about healing and now I can rejoice!


Suffering is one of life's necessary burdens, but it is not without purpose.  It brings about the blessing of the comfort of God, is only temporary in nature but results in eternal fruit, and gives an opportunity to rejoice at the witness of God's mighty hand in my life.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will not run from God during times of suffering, but allow Him to comfort me in my time of need.

When do I miss out on the blessing of comfort by trying to walk through a trial alone?

How do I focus on only the temporary suffering and thus miss out on the eternal reward?

No comments:

Post a Comment