The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Heart Letter

"Clearly, you are a letter from Christ showing the result
of our ministry among you.
This "letter" is written not with pen and ink,
but with the Spirit of the living God.
It is carved not on tablets of stone,
but on human hearts."
2 Corinthians 3:3 NLT


Her countenance displayed a peace that didn't make sense under the circumstances.  Her son had been diagnosed with a progressive and pervasive illness after a period of suffering and decline in health.  The treatment took time and her son did not respond as quickly as hoped.  Still, her actions reflected the hope she carried in her heart.  The way she handled herself throughout this crisis was a powerful testimony to her faith in Jesus Christ to everyone she came into contact with during that difficult time.


My life is a testimony, and people are reading the story all the time.  Either I am showcasing the peace that only comes in trusting Jesus with all things, or I am revealing the hopelessness I feel as I struggle to go on in my own strength.  


As the old saying goes, "Actions speak louder than words."  The way I live my life speaks volumes.  


Lord of my Life

Who is lord of my life?  Great 20th Century Christian intellectual C.S. Lewis put it this way.  "To love and admire anything outside yourself is to take one step away from utter spiritual ruin; though we shall not be well so long as we love and admire anything more than we love and admire God."  

I cannot live as the woman God created me to be until Jesus is Lord of my life.  Something will always be off.  Fears will creep in and smother.  Despair will rule.

But Jesus told us as recorded in John 10 that He is the gate; the only way to get to God.  He said, "whoever enters through me will be saved.  He will come in and go out, and find pasture.  The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (v 9-10)

This is a promise that whoever enters into a relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ will experience an abundant life. Not just an existence where Satan constantly steals my joy, kills my hope and destroys my peace.  No. . . faith in Jesus gives me hope where no hope seems to exist.  Like in the hospital room.  Or in the midst of a difficult marriage.  Even in the dark places of my heart.

Making Jesus Lord of my life means that I trust Him fully with all things, not just the stuff I want to give to Him.  He wants all of me.  He said, "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)  

Before my life can be a testimony for Jesus, my life must belong to Him.

Authentic Living

I know a woman who is suffering deeply.  She stepped away from the faith and into another religion that teaches a false gospel.  Her physical ailments weigh heavily upon her.  The family issues drag her down.  She sounds hopeless.  As she stands on the brink of a difficult separation within her family, I ask her how she feels about the situation.  She tells me what she thinks she's supposed to say, trying to reassure herself that if she focuses only on the good and not the hurt, she'll be okay.

We all know better.  Ignoring pain does not make it go away.  In fact, I would submit that it makes it grow until the hurt cannot be ignored.

God wants me to be honest with my feelings, struggles and fears.  Especially in my conversations with Him.  Think about it: He already knows my feelings, struggles, and fears.  When I try to pretend everything is okay or if I only say what I think He wants me to say, then I am lying to Him for He already knows!  

Honest sharing of feelings is the hallmark of a deep intimate relationship.  If I can't trust God with my difficulties, who can I trust?  He loves me more than anyone. As I share with Him, I will experience His healing touch as He transforms my perspective from one of despair to one filled with hopefulness.

Before my life can be a testimony for Jesus, I must be honest with Him.

Be Ready

The motto of the Boy Scouts of America is, "Be Prepared."  The idea is that if one is well trained, he will be ready to help whenever needed, know how to meet the challenges that life brings, and be able to handle the struggles that will inevitably present themselves. 

It is the same with us as we follow Christ.  I must take training seriously so that I will, ". . .be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."  (1 Peter 3:15)    

When people see the, "peace that passes understanding, " in the mother's countenance as she waits for the lab results, they will want to know how she can not be worried out of her mind.  The training that she has undergone as she has studied God's Word over the years kicks into gear and she is able to tell why she has hope.  And the gospel is spread. . . .

As my life becomes a living testimony, I must be ready to back my actions up with words.


Many times I get this process backwards, thinking I need to tell everyone about Jesus before it's too late.  But first I must make sure Jesus is truly Lord of my life, live authentically before Him, and study His Word so I will be prepared to speak.

My life is a testimony of God's work in my life; it is a letter He has written on my heart for everyone to read.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will give more of myself over to God.

In what ways do I lie to myself, others and God in the way I pretend like everything is okay?

How can I be more honest in my relationship with God? 




No comments:

Post a Comment