The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Jesus

"But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all."
Isaiah 53:5-6



Easter is approaching fast and many of our minds are turning to thoughts of Easter bunnies, Easter bonnets, Easter dresses, Easter Eggs or the delicious Easter buffet.  All of these things have the power to distract from the Truth that is central to the holiday.  

What is the Truth?  I need a Savior to mend my broken relationship with my Father.  I need a Savior to deliver me from the punishment my sins deserve.  I need a Savior to save me from myself.

"God made him who had no sin to be a sin offering for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."  (2 Corinthians 5:21)  

Jesus Christ is my Savior, and He is who I celebrate this Easter.

In All Things

Eggs are a symbol of new life.  As such, it seems appropriate to include them in my celebration of the new life I now enjoy through faith in Jesus Christ.  

Dying eggs, hiding them for a neighborhood Easter egg hunt or giving them as gifts to my loved ones all are appropriate ways of celebrating Jesus' death and resurrection.  An egg is a perfect window of opportunity to teach the gospel to others. 

In the same way that a baby chick can burst forth from an egg, beginning it's new life, God can break me out of my old life of sin and into a new life of righteousness when I appoint Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.  This is done through faith, not by anything I do.  Salvation is a free gift offered by a loving God.  

I don't have to do away with secular traditions as long as I bring my faith into them.  Meaning can be given to any custom in order to use it as a vehicle to point to Christ.   

Through All Things

Life came through Jesus, both the physical and the spiritual.  John 1:3 says that, "Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made."  I would never have been born from my mother's womb if it wasn't for Jesus.  

Likewise, I would not have been born again into a new spiritual life if it wasn't for the sacrifice Jesus made in dying on the cross.  Through His death, I have been offered life.

As I prepare for Easter, I can continually turn my thoughts toward the One through whom all things are given life.  

For all Things  

I like to think this world exists for my sake.  My pride encourages me to think that God made me  so that I can live to please myself, worship myself and focus on myself.  After all, He wants me to be happy, to fulfill my desires and to take care of myself, doesn't He?

Colossians 1:16 reminds me that, "all things were created by him and for him."  I am here for Jesus' sake, not for my own.  As Pastor Rick Warren begins the message of his book The Purpose Drive Life, "It's not about you."

This means that He wants everything I do to point to Him, to fulfill His desires and to rely on Him for my physical, emotional and spiritual needs.  

Easter is the perfect time to do all things for my Savior instead of for myself.


There are many things to distract me from the central truth of Easter.  But I don't have to let these diversions turn me away from the unspeakable sacrifice Jesus made for me.  I can make Him a part of all things, I can constantly remember all things come through Him, and I can do everything for Him.  

Then I will truly be celebrating Easter!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes on Jesus.

What distracts me from Jesus, especially at Easter time?

How can I dedicate this Easter solely to my Savior?


No comments:

Post a Comment