The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Enemies

"If only you would slay the wicked, O God!
Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!
They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.
Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD,
and abhor those who rise up against you?
I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting."
Psalm 139:19-24

"Love your enemies
and pray for those who persecute you,
that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.
He causes his sun to rise on the evil
and the good,
and sends rain on the righteous
and the unrighteous."
Matthew 6:43-44



I have something to talk about today that makes me uncomfortable.  It is the topic of enemies.  Usually, when I think of enemies in the context of today's verses, I think of those who have hurt me personally.  But in light of the book I am reading that warns about the threat of radical Islam to Western society, I am thinking of a more global enemy.

There is no doubt, we are being hunted.  And it's not because of America's free society or our work in spreading democracy, although that is something that radical Muslim's hate about us.  We are being stalked because we do not conform to their belief system as laid out in the Qur'an.   We are targeted because we do not worship Allah and spread the teachings of Mohammad who commands that infidels be annihilated.  (Koran 9:5)

I don't know what to do with this information as a follower of Christ.  On the one hand, I'm with David.  I want to pray for the destruction of my enemies.  I desire to see them destroyed for the sake of freedom-loving people everywhere.  I want to warn everyone, especially those in power, to wake up and smell the coffee. . . that death is on our doorstep and we are welcoming it in with open arms in the name of tolerance and religious freedom!

Then I look at my heart as I read on in Psalm 139 and the words of Jesus found in Matthew 6.  My heart is anxious and offensive to God.  I remember that He is good to all. . . even to those who kill in the name of Allah.

When I give my heart back to God, He fills it with love for my enemy.  And He shows me some things I need to know about my enemy.

Lost

According to the UN, 1.25 billion people in the world claim to be Muslims while just over 2 billion profess Christianity as their religion.  Islam is growing at a rate of 6.4% worldwide as compared to a rate of 1.46% for Christianity.  At this rate, Islam will soon overtake Christianity as the most popular religion.  

This means there are millions of people who are being deceived by a teaching that leads away from the One True God.  They are giving their lives in the hopes of collecting on a promise of reward from Allah when all they will receive is separation from God and an eternity of suffering.  

I have friends who are Muslim, and they passionately believe that Islam is the one true religion.  They believe with all their heart that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is his prophet.  

As they talk about their struggles, I see that they are the same as me, trying to do right but failing miserably.  They need a Savior just as much as I do. They need the assurance of salvation that only comes from accepting Jesus as their Savior, just like I do. They need to know God loves them despite their less-than-worthy performance, just like I do.

If I can think of those who follow radical Islam in the same way, I can learn to pray for them as lost souls who desperately need Jesus instead of as ruthless killers who will stop at nothing to wipe out Western civilization as we know it.  ". . .when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son."  (Romans 5:10)

We all deserve God's wrath because of our sin, but are offered salvation out of His great love for us.  

Freedom

As an American, freedom is important to me and I think of it as a God-given right.  But God doesn't offer freedom as a way of life.  Instead, He offers freedom from the bondage of sin.  "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (Galatians 5:1)

When something as sinister and merciless as radical Islam is threatening Democracy around the world, I want to fight it.  I think it is our duty as freedom-loving Americans to take a strong stand against it.  But maybe that's not an attitude I can take to God.  Who says all Christians have a right to live in a free society?  God does not.  Is that His priority when He looks at the state of the world?

As I read and study the Bible, it seems to me that God is all about reconciliation.  He is all about relationship.  He created us so that we could be connected to Him on a personal level.   I see many Christians around the world who are living in oppressive societies where their faith grows stronger and stronger.  

Perhaps I'm getting it mixed-up.  Freedom is a wonderful blessing, giving me the opportunity to worship God.    But political freedom for all people should not be my prayer.  Instead, freedom from the bondage of sin that is offered through faith in Jesus Christ should be my greatest desire for all people.  Even for those who want to kill me.

As Oswald Chambers wrote, "Freedom is the ability not to insist on my rights, but to see that God gets his."  My enemies cannot kill this kind of freedom. . . and they need it just as much as I do.


Maybe today's devotional was a little off-the-wall.  It was hard for me to write and I am struggling with the idea of loving an enemy that is so bent on my destruction.  But I believe God has a plan.  I believe He loves us.  I believe He is a good God.  In light of all these things, I know He wants me to pray for my enemies as I remember that they are lost and in need of the kind of freedom faith in Christ can give.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can look to God for help in loving my enemies.

How do I put people in categories, deciding who deserves the gospel message and who doesn't?
How would loving my enemies change my heart attitude?
















No comments:

Post a Comment