The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Strength in Weakness

"Their weakness was turned to strength."
Hebrews 11:34


When I think of faith, I think of the people listed in the so-called "Hall of Fame of Faith" found in Hebrews 11.  They obeyed God at great cost to their reputations, well-being and sometimes their very lives.  They believed when it seemed all hope was lost.  They made decisions based on what would please God, not what would bring comfort and ease to themselves and their families.  They are the men and women of mighty faith that cheer us on in our walk.

But sometimes faith is not found in the momentous acts.  Mostly, it is found in the ordinary, day-to-day activities, in the times when I let my guard down and think I have it all covered.  

Faith is more than trusting God during the crisis or during the earth shattering times.  It's easier to trust God then because I don't know what else to do.  But the real test comes during the normal and commonplace, when I think I have it all worked out.  

Faith is found in our weakness.  As 19th Century British Evangelist George Muller said, "Faith begins where man's power ends."

Letting Go

I remember the neighborhood bully when I was growing up.  Actually, it was a family of brothers who were the trouble-makers.  They started fights on the school bus, used their BB guns to kill little birds and creatures, and intimidated younger children as they rode their bikes home from school.  They lived around the corner from me but I only fell victim to their harassment a couple of times. In general, I did my best to stay away from them.  

Thankfully, God is not a bully or I would probably try to stay away from Him as well.  He does not barge into my life, demanding that He be in control of everything.  He is in control.  Either I accept that and make adjustments accordingly, or I continue to live my life as if I were in control.  

I'm sure you've heard the well-known saying, "Let go and let God."  It seems trite and simplistic, but there is truth found within this adage.  Part of trusting God means letting Him work in my life.    This can certainly be thought of as a leap of faith.  Loosening the grip I hold on my life takes a belief that God has my best interest at heart, that He loves me enough to do only what's best for me, and that He will stay with me through whatever comes my way.

Faith means trusting God enough to let Him lead me in every part of my life. Then I can do as I am directed in Hebrews 12:1 and, "throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and . . . run with perseverance the race marked out for (me)." 

Sometimes taking a leap of faith means simply letting go of my will in any given moment and letting God have is way.

Following

I remember watching a group of children playing, "Follow the Leader."  Each child wanted to be the leader so there was no one left to do the following.  All the adults chuckled to see the children wandering around the playground, each being their own "leader".  

In order for one to lead, someone else must follow.  Everyone can't be the leader, but we all are wired to want to be our own leader.  

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lead not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."  The New Living Translation puts it this way, "seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."

 I like to think that I'm going on a hike and God is out in front.  He is blazing the trail, approving of every bump and rough spot before he agrees to lead me through.  Sometimes, however, I get distracted by something off the trail, something beautiful and enticing and I take my eyes off my Leader. Other times I am frightened by something scary off to the side and I hide in fear.  Each time, He waits right there for me to get back on the path and submit to His leadership before He continues on the journey.  

Before God can lead, I must agree to follow.

Trusting

Sitting down in a chair is an act of faith.  Before I sit in the chair, I must have confidence in it's strength and integrity, I must believe that it will be able to hold my weight.  If I don't completely trust the chair, I won't sit in it.  

It's the same with faith in God.  If I don't completely trust Him, I won't place my whole weight in His hands.  I'll withhold some things, choosing to worry instead of trusting Him.  How do I know if I'm trusting Him fully?  I will experience a sense of peace that doesn't make sense for the circumstances.  If I don't have peace, I know I'm not trusting fully.

Philippians 4:6-7 describes the process this way.  "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.  Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.  Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.  His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." (NLT)

Trusting God with all the little things in my life will bring a calm as I rest in His strength.  


The Hall of Fame of Faith found in Hebrews 11 is filled with the great celebrities of God's family.  They did great things for God, but each was flawed in some serious ways.  What set them apart from everyone else was that they trusted God at His word and they acted accordingly. They let go of their desire to control their own destiny, they followed God as He led them through history, and they trusted that He would deliver on the promises He made to them, taking care of their needs in the process.  

These men and women of great faith are not the only ones who can be made strong in our weakness.  We too can show the kind of faith that will inspire generations to come to run the race that God has set before them.  

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will rest fully in the promises of God.

What do I choose to worry about instead of surrendering fully to God?

How do I show my lack of faith in the way I insist upon being the leader of my life?


No comments:

Post a Comment