The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Battle

"Be strong in the Lord
and in his mighty power.
Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm
against all strategies of the devil.
For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies,
but against evil rulers
and authorities of the unseen world,
against mighty powers in this dark world,
and against evil spirits in the heavenly place."
Ephesians 6:10-12 NLT




Life is a battle.  There are so many difficulties found each and every day.  Some struggles take place at home.  Some problems rear their ugly heads at work.  Other trouble occurs just in trying to get from point A to point B.  And still other frustrations arise when dealing with the people around us.  Yes, life certainly is a battle. . . and I'm on the front line.


The thing is, my fight is not against my family members, my co-workers, fellow drivers or citizens of this world.  The battle is against the unseen forces that manipulate, coerce and tempt.  The battle is against Satan and his minions.  


It is easy for me to see the people who are right in front of me as my enemy.  I stand my ground and get into battle position, preparing myself for the fight ahead.  But I am mistaken.  The fight is not against that sweet little boy whose outrageous behavior threatens to send me over the top, or the frustrated driver who is late for work, or the angry woman whose marriage is falling apart.  This war is waged against a hidden enemy who lies behind the scenes.


How do I fight against this formidable unseen adversary?  


Strength

Most athletes, especially those who compete in sports where physical contact occurs, know they need some kind of strength training.  This could involve weight lifting, functional training or Plyometrics for explosive power.  

As followers of Christ who are engaged in daily battle, we also need strength.  But whereas an athlete needs physical strength to battle in the physical realm, we need the strength of the Lord to battle in the spiritual realm.

I think of David as one who was, "strong in the Lord and in his mighty power."  As a young boy, he stood against a formidable giant of a foe named Goliath.  Even though the man stood at over 9 feet tall while he was only a gangly boy not yet finished growing and had never wielded a sword a day in his life, he boldly faced this trash-talking, burly, seasoned warrior. 

Why was he so confident?  

David knew God was bigger than this mighty soldier.  He knew that God was in control.  And even more importantly, David was strong in the Lord.  His faith in God was so solid that he believed without a doubt that the Lord would win the battle for him.  Then, "All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give all of you into our hands." (1 Samuel 17:47)

This kind of strength does not come from reading, studying and meditating on God's Word.  This kind of power comes from training.  David had seen how many times God had worked through him as he shepherded his father's sheep.  He boldly pursued lions and bears that had snatched up one of the flock, successfully retrieving his keep and killing the invader.  He said, "The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." (1 Samuel 17:37)

How can I train in the strength of the Lord?  I should start with the little things and work my way up as I gain confidence in God's power.  Perhaps I could ask God to give me a kind word to say to a surly cashier.  Or a prayer to utter for the harried driver who cut me off.  Or a gracious smile to the neighbor who snubbed me once again.  

God's strength is constant.  His mighty power is available to me if only I would practice using it.  Then I would grow strong in the Lord like David.

Armor

I good soldier does not go into battle without his armor.  Police officers wear bullet-proof vests when they're on duty.  Even fire-fighters utilize specialized protective clothing.  Anyone who is facing a foe is wise to protect himself.

In the same way, God has given me armor to protect myself from the assaults of Satan which enables me to stand my ground.   An effective soldier does not give up ground to his enemy and neither should I retreat, effectively handing over territory to Satan.  The armor gives me confidence to stay put.  

I can hold Satan at bay by speaking the truth, claiming the righteousness that comes from the blood of Jesus and preaching the Gospel to myself and others.  His fiery arrows can be stopped with my faith in Jesus as my Savior, and remembering from where my salvation comes will protect my mind from Satan's relentless attacks. (Ephesians 6:14-17)

Keeping in mind that Jesus has saved me from the pit of despair will protect me from those thoughts of self-defeat that creep in so slyly.  

Trusting that there is now no condemnation (even self-condemnation) for those who are in Christ Jesus deflects the deadly darts the Evil One sends my way.  

Rejecting the falsehood told by the Father of Lies and instead clinging to the truth found in scripture protects me from a common attack.

God has supplied me with the armor I need to protect myself from the assaults that come from the darkness.

Weapons

Defense is important, but anyone who has played sports knows that the game can't be won unless points are scored.  In order to rack up some goals, I must go on offense.

God has given me some offensive weapons in the battle against the unseen enemy.  Armor is important for protection, but if I want to do damage to my enemy, I must have a weapon.  And that spiritual weapon is God's Word.

This is yet another reason to spend time daily reading, studying and learning God's Word.  Then, when times of attack comes, God will send scripture to mind that will do damage to the Evil One.  

Another of our weapons is prayer.  "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.  With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for the saints."  (Ephesians 6:18)

Martin Luther was a man who was intimately familiar with the spiritual battle he faced during the Reformation.  He said, "Prayer is a strong wall and fortress of the church; it is a goodly Christian weapon."*

Prayer sometimes seems like a cop out.  It many times feels like my prayers don't amount to much.  But I must remember that, "The prayer of a righteous man (or woman) is powerful and effective." (James 5:16)

There is much power found in my prayers; the very power of God!  This thought alone should keep me on my knees.

God's power is available to conquer strongholds, take back territory Satan has captured and drive them enemy back all with a simple prayer to a mighty God.


I know I am in a battle.  I feel the wounds of the war.  But it is important that I remember I fight not against people, but against the hidden evil that is behind all conflict.  In order to live victoriously, I must practice standing strong in the Lord like David, remember to wear the armor God has supplied, and utilize the weapons in my cache.

And above all, I must remember the words told to God's people as they faced a formidable enemy, "Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army.  For the battle is not yours, but God's." (2 Chronicles 20:15)  And He is up for the fight.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will leave the battle in God's hands instead of trying to defend myself.

How do I try to fight against those who are right in front of me instead of remembering that they are not my enemy?

When do I let my hurt feelings or pride drive me to defend myself instead of standing strong in the Lord?












  














No comments:

Post a Comment