The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Clear Conscience

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord.
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone
who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.
But do this with gentleness and respect,
keeping a clear conscience,
so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."
1 Peter 3:15-16



Everywhere she goes, she is on the outside.  Her family has moved countless times, always with the hope that this place will be different. She wants nothing more than to be a part of a loving, supportive community.  She has much love to give.   But her heart breaks as she sees the same pattern occurring again as it always has before.  She is shunned.  She is ostracized.  She is on the outside.

This is the experience of a friend of mine.  It hurts my heart to see her suffer as she puts up a good effort to carry on, living life as God has called her to live.  But inside she is hurting.  

I, too, have been hurt by others with rumors shared, slander spread and judgments made.  As much as this kind of treatment hurts, there is something I can do to not only get through it, but to glorify God in doing so.

Devotion to Christ

Robert Louis Stevenson said, "Perpetual devotion to what man calls his business is only to be sustained by perpetual neglect of many other things."

The 21st Century life is a busy life, filled with fruitful activities, educational pursuits and interesting hobbies.  But every single thing I add to my schedule is as a result of a conscious choice.  When the business of life overwhelms me, it is because I have over-committed myself, leaving very little room for my relationship with my Savior. 

When I think of the word "devotion," I picture a loyal dog peering up into the face of his beloved master.  In his eyes, I can see he desires nothing more than to please his master.

This is how I want to be with Christ; wanting nothing more than to please Him.  Many times, however, other stuff gets in the way; things I choose to add to my life that distracts my attention from my Master.  Good things.  Beneficial things.  Enriching things.  But distracting things, just the same.

The Apostle Paul taught in 1 Corinthians 6:12 that, "You say, 'I am allowed to do anything'--but not everything is good for you. And even though 'I am allowed to do anything,' I must not become a slave to anything." (NLT)

How many times am I a slave to my job or my or my family's activities or schedules?

Devotion to Christ is a choice I make as I place Him in the top position in my life, giving Him my full, undivided attention.

 Preparation

Fire prevention experts advise people to create a plan for their families in case of fire.  Practicing that plan is important because it is easy for panic to paralyze anyone's common sense, rendering them helpless and at risk of injury or death in times of crisis.  But if a family has rehearsed what to do in case of a fire, the training kicks in at the time it is needed and lives are saved.

It is the same with sharing the hope I have.  People ask questions when they see behavior that doesn't match up to what they're used to seeing, and these questions are windows of opportunity.   "Why did you give your car away?"  "Why do all the kids flock to your house?"  or "How come you don't defend yourself and your reputation?"

If I haven't rehearsed what I will say, I may panic and not know how to respond.  This has happened to me plenty of times.  It is important that I think different scenarios through and seek God's guidance in how to respond.  It is also important that I study the Bible for myself and understand what it is that I believe.  If I can't explain my faith, I surely won't be able to witness to others when the time comes.  

Setting my heart on Jesus is vital, but preparation is also important in knowing what I believe and how I can respond to questions asked by non-believers.  

Gentleness and Respect

I have a small sign in my kitchen that says, "Seek to Understand."  I placed it there in an effort to remind myself and my family members that everyone desires to be understood and it shows respect for others when I try to appreciate their point of view.  When I don't make an attempt to empathize with another, I am showing that I really don't care about them.  

Our family has fallen into a bad habit of seeking to be heard instead of striving to listen.  It is easy for me to think of myself and my opinions, thoughts or feelings.  I assume everyone else wants to hear what I have to say as much as I want to say it!  

But James 1:19 challenges this assumption.  "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." Furthermore, if I look into the book of Proverbs, I will find that God considers me a fool. "A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions."

I can spend all the time in the world preparing my answers, but if I don't respect others, my testimony won't get anywhere.  As Ben Franklin said, "No one cares what you know until they know that you care." 

Treating others with gentleness and respect is a sure way to gain their trust. 


Living a life where others hurt me is difficult.  But when I devote myself to Christ, prepare myself in my beliefs and respond with gentleness and respect, I can rest easy knowing that God's got my back.  He'll protect me and even show others where they've been wrong, giving them a sense of shame regarding the wrong they've done to me.  

Then I can say as David proclaimed in Psalm 18:2, "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.  He is my shelf and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes on Jesus.

How do I let other things distract me from the One who died for me so that I can live?

When do I respond in harshness and disrespect?





















No comments:

Post a Comment