The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

I Don't Belong Here

"All these people were still living by faith when they died.  
They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance.  
And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth.  People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own.
If they had been thinking of the country they had left, 
they would have had opportunity to return.
Instead, they were longing for a better country--
a heavenly one.
Therefore,
God is not ashamed to be called their God,
for he has prepared a city for them."
Hebrews 11:13-16


I recently attended a concert in a coliseum packed with over 15,000 people.  I was moved to tears when Building 429 led us in worship to God as thousands of believers sang out, "All I know is I'm not home yet this is not where I belong.  Take this world and give me Jesus.  This is not where I belong." *   Take a moment to see what I mean by watching this video:




This song got me to thinking about what it means to live like I don't belong.


Ambition

This world values selfish ambition.  Any worker who gives themselves fully to a career will end up being rewarded with advancement within the company as well as an increase in salary and benefits.  Dedication to a profession is highly regarded and duly compensated.

What kind of ambition does God value?  Oswald Chambers teaches that, "It is arduous work to keep the master ambition in front.  It means holding one's self to the high ideal year in and year out, not being ambitious to win souls or to establish churches or to have revivals, but being ambitious only to be 'accepted of Him.' "

It is easy to take the kind of ambition the world values and translate that to my faith.  Drive and determination are not enough, however.  My goal must always be to please God and to do things His way, following His lead.  As Jesus said in John 15:5, "If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."  

If my ambition is to please God, I will only move when He moves.  If my drive is to produce fruit or see results, I will most likely take matters into my own hands and run ahead of God.  Fruit will come as I stay connected to Jesus. . . it can't be my goal.

Paul reminds me in 2 Corinthians 5:9-10 that, "we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it.  For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad."

Anything done of my own volition is done outside of God's calling, even if it seems good to me. God has His own standard of good and bad upon which I will be judged.

I must ask as Oswald Chambers asks, "Is my master ambition to please Him and be acceptable to Him, or is it something less, no matter how noble?"

Heavenly Eyes

If I'm going to live like I don't belong here, I'm going to have to focus on where I do belong.  Heaven is my real home, and as such I should, "set (my) heart on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.  Set (my) mind on things above, not on earthly things." (Colossians 3:1-2)

How often I find that my focus is exactly like that of the world.  I concentrate on material things like my home, my hobbies or my job.  I make decisions like the world, making a list of pros and cons and deciding accordingly.  My sources of entertainment, pleasure and comfort are exactly like those used by my unbelieving friends; there is no difference.

Instead, if my concentration was on heavenly things like loving the people around me, or if I made decisions solely out of obedience to God's calling in my life, or if I only surrounded myself with things, activities, movies and music that were pleasing and honoring to God, then God would be glorified in my life.  People would look at me and instead of seeing me, would see Jesus.

Being heavenly focused means every part of my life points to Jesus.

Live Like Aliens

My family and I lived in Germany for almost three years when our daughters were toddlers and preschoolers.  It was a precious time in our lives, but I distinctly remembering that I was living in a country that was not my own.  It was a beautiful country filled with rich history, friendly people and gorgeous landscapes, but it was not my own, just the same.

I should think the same way with my home here on earth.  There are many good things God has blessed me with, but my attitude should always be that this is all temporary, transitory, and momentary.  If I put all my hope in feeling fulfilled here, I will be disappointed.  If I expect complete satisfaction in this fleeting life, I'll be let down.  If I want nothing more than to feel comfortable here, my heart is in the wrong place.  

True fulfillment, satisfaction and comfort will come in my heavenly home where things are as they should be.  Heaven is not tainted with sin; there is no pain, suffering and torment.  Heaven is my real home.  

God spoke to His people through the prophet Jeremiah when they were living as exiles in a strange land.  He said to them, " 'I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "  

But God's message did not end there.  He went on to give the reason for His plans.  "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."  (Jeremiah 29:11-13)

God has a plan for my life here in this foreign place.  It is a good plan that will not hurt me.  It is a plan that will give me hope and it assures me of potential for the days to come.  But it is not just for me, so that I will enjoy myself.  The purpose of the plan is so that I will seek God.  And when I seek God, I will find Him.

As I live like an alien in this world, if I would seek Him in every moment of this temporary existence, my life here would never be the same as I experience His presence.


As a follower of Jesus, I don't belong here.  That means that my ambition should be to please God, I must maintain an heavenly focus, and I can seek God as I live like an alien in a foreign land. 

Then I can truly say with all of my heart to, "take this world and give me Jesus!"*


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can live like I don't belong here.

How do I blend in with those who have no hope?

Is there a place in my life right now where I am driven by any ambition other than pleasing God?







 









*http://www.newreleasetuesday.com/lyricsdetail.php?lyrics_id=68970

No comments:

Post a Comment