The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, March 16, 2012

The Masterpiece

"Teach me your ways, O LORD,
that I may live according to your truth!
Grant me purity of heart,
so that I may honor you.
With all my heart I will praise you, O Lord my God.
I will give glory to your name forever,
for your love for me is very great.
You have rescued me from the depths of death."
Psalm 86:11-13 NLT

I have never understood gun-control laws.  I am not a gun enthusiast or a hunter.  In fact, I have never fired a gun in my life.  What I don't understand, however, is the concept that guns kill people.  If that were the case, I would be all for banning guns from the face of the earth.

The fact of the matter is that people kill people, and even if guns did not exist, people bent on killing will find a way to kill.  The problem is not the weapon . . . the problem is the heart.

It's the same with God's ways.  If I try to do what I think I should do according to His Word, I will probably fail.  As Joni Eareckson Tada said, "No tool, in and of itself, has great importance.  But placed in the proper hands it can create a masterpiece."  

If I allow God to teach me His ways using the tools he chooses to use in my life (trials, tests, difficulties. . . ), then He will create a masterpiece.  

When I am frustrated by the lack of progress in my spiritual walk, the problem is not the truth I find in the Bible. . . the problem is my heart.

Purity of Heart

During the refining process, gold is subjected to high temperatures and caustic agents in order to remove impurities.  God does the same thing with my heart so that He can remove everything that gets in the way of focusing on Him: Pride, lust, selfish ambition, envy, jealousy, etc.

To discover the location of my heart, I need only figure out what is important to me.  Jesus said, ". . .where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  (Luke 12:34)  Do I value making myself look good?  Am I concerned with defending my position?  Is rising to the top of the corporate ladder my goal in life?  Or do I strive to obtain all the things I ever wanted so that I can live comfortably, thinking that, after all I deserve it.   I've worked hard my whole life!

The New International Version uses the phrase "undivided heart" in Psalm 86:11.  My heart is constantly carved up between different desires.  Sure, I want to please God, but I also want to have what my friend has, or enjoy a comfortable life that satisfies my desires, or be the best in my field.  My heart is divided.

The only heart that honors God is a pure, undivided heart.  And the only way my heart will be purified is if I put it in the Master's hands for purification.  As David said in Psalm 51:10 NLT, "Create in me a clean heart, O God.  Renew a loyal spirit within me."

How is God attempting to purify my heart through circumstances in my life?  Am I submitting to His purification process?

Wholeheartedness  

The Pharisees, Sadducees and Teachers of the Law during Jesus time were always trying to trip Him up, testing Him time and again.  One smart little fellow tried to trap him with this question.  "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" (Matthew 22:36)  He was probably snickering to himself as he thought of the impossibility of answering that query.

Then Jesus blew his mind while revealing the crux of the Law.  "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." (v37)

Wholeheartedness leaves no room for insincerity.  A heart wholly committed to God is open, truthful and not at all hypocritical.  If I truly want to worship God in the way I live my life, I can't hide things from Him.  I can't pretend everything is okay when in reality I am struggling.  I can't hold back my feelings from Him, thinking that it will anger Him or that He'll be disappointed.  He wants my whole heart. . . scars and all!

There's no sense hiding things from a God who knows me better than I know myself. . .and loves me anyway! 

Tender Heart

In order to enjoy a tender and succulent steak, some tenderizing is necessary for most cuts of meat.  The meat fibers can be broken down physically, by using a mallet, or chemically with a marinade.  Either way, tough muscle fibers need to be broken apart so that the finished product will turn out juicy and tender.

This is not much different than my heart.  Even though I cannot take a meat mallet to my heart, I can work to break down some of the muscle fibers; the things that make me think I'm pretty strong in myself.  

Some of these "muscle fibers" include my pride which makes me want to be right all the time, or my sense of independence, or my desire to look good to others.   Holding on to these attitudes and desires can drive me to try to impress God with a holy life instead of laying myself before Him as a broken and contrite offering.

David said it well in Psalm 51:16-17 (MSG).  He was at a place in his life where he had realized the great sin he had committed against God and he was suddenly aware of the hardness of his own heart.  He said, "Going through the motions doesn't please you, a flawless performance is nothing to you.  I learned God-worship when my pride was shattered.  Heart-shattered lives ready for love don't for a moment escape God's notice."

Just as a tenderized steak is juicy and succulent to the taste buds, so is a broken and contrite heart a joy to our Father.  Only then will I be able to truly receive the great love God has for me.

A hardened heart cannot receive the gift of love God has bestowed upon me.


I can try to do what I think I should do on my own, or I can place myself in the Masters hands and allow him to purify my heart, give me the courage to be completely open and honest with Him, and tenderize my heart.  Only then will His love saturate my being, changing my life forever.  

God can create a masterpiece out of the most hopeless of lives. . . if only He is given the chance.  

As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will trust God enough to give Him my heart.

How do I hold feelings back from God, mistakenly thinking He won't love me anymore if He knows the truth?

What divides my heart and keeps it from being completely devoted to God?










 


















No comments:

Post a Comment