The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Joy

"And see, now I go bound in the Spirit to Jerusalem,
not knowing the things that will happen to me there,
except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city,
saying that chains and tribulations await me.
But none of these things move me;
nor do I count my life dear to myself,
so that I may finish my race with joy,
and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus,
to testify to the gospel of the grace of God."
Acts 20:22-24 NKJV




Birds flit outside my window, fluttering here and there throughout the tree in front of my house. Their happy songs float through the closed window where the cat sits as a hunter stalking his prey, tail flitting back and forth and chattering his excitement.  Watching the scene play out before me, I think that the Lord must be pleased seeing His creation doing what He created them to do.  They are living according to His plan for their lives.

I can please the Lord in the same way, by doing what He created me to do.  Each of us has a calling in this life; a specific ministry in which He has invited us to take part in.  Whatever that service happens to be, there are certain virtues which identify us as followers of Christ as opposed to a person doing good things for others out of human compassion.  

What sets us apart from the rest of the world?

Clothing

Many jobs require a certain dress code specific to the task required of the profession.  Medical personnel don white coats or scrubs, mechanics wear coveralls while police officers sport uniforms complete with badges and holsters.  

Ministry is no different.  God calls us to a certain line of service within our regular lives, but each of us is instructed to put on the same attire.  "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." (Colossians 3:12) 

Just as a uniform is usually supplied by the employer, so these virtues come from God as a result of submitting myself to Him.  Unlike the cat who naturally behaves in the way God created him to behave, I have the problem of sin to contend with.  

Either I can follow my sinful nature and act according to what comes naturally, or I can submit myself to God and let Him have His way in each situation.  When I let Him win out, the fruit of the Spirit develops, setting me apart from the rest of the world.

So when the doctor's office personnel inadvertently drop my appointment, frustration rises within me.  Then humility calls me to apologize for my huffy attitude, thus displaying the gospel through my actions.

I am set apart as a follower of Christ in the uniform I wear.

Manner

I live in a harsh, unforgiving world.  Garrison Keillor, host of The Prairie Home Companion, said, "What else will do except faith in such a cynical, corrupt time?  When the country goes temporarily to the dogs, cats must learn to be circumspect, walk on fences, sleep in trees, and have faith that all this woofing is not the last word."  

Just as cats know how to get around and live their lives as felines despite the presence of vicious canines, Christians need not become like the world in order to fit in.  Instead, I can work to forgive and let go of hurts in order that God be glorified.

For instance, if my focus is on defending my own rights, I will constantly be taking up for myself when someone steps on my toes or offends my liberties.  But if I take on the attitude like that of Christ Jesus, I will let offenses go, pardoning others' actions just as God forgave me.  

Carrying an unforgiving attitude shows how little I understand how much God forgave me.  He has pardoned me of all of my sins: past, present and future. 

The merciful attitude I carry through life is one of the greatest testimonies of God's forgiveness.  The apostle Paul exhorts me to, "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."  (Ephesians 4:32)

I am set apart as a follower of Christ in the manner I bear.

Glue

I remember a worship song from the 70's based on John 13:35 called, "They will Know We are Christians by our Love."  It talks about our unity as believers and how our hallmark is to be love.  

Observing the state of the church today, I'm not sure I see much love as we fight over the color of the carpet in the sanctuary and the way the money should be spent.  These quarrels happen when I put my own interests above those of my brothers and sisters.  

To understand love, I can look to 1 Corinthians 13 where it tells me:

"Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always 'me first,'
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end."
1 Corinthians 13:4-8 MSG

This love that comes from God is the glue that holds the whole package of my Christian life together.  

I am set apart as a follower of Christ in the glue that binds these virtues together in perfect unity and shows that God cares.


Joy comes not from living a life free from difficulties, but by living as God created me to live.  He calls me into a ministry where I must clothes myself with His uniform, exhibit a manner like the attitude of Jesus, and bind it all together with love.  

This is what pleases my Father in heaven and brings joy to my heart!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will remember to put on my uniform.

When do I tend to slip into an attitude of self-preservation or defending myself instead of forgiveness?

How often do things fall apart because I forgot to use the glue of love to hold it all together?








No comments:

Post a Comment