The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Blessed to be a Blessing

"I will make you into a great nation
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing."
Genesis 12:2





Peter Parker's Uncle Ben said, "With great power comes great responsibility."  As Spider-man's influence grew, this wisdom became a guiding principle upon which he based his life.  

Similarly, we are kin to the man who was blessed to be a blessing.  Abraham received this promise of blessing not for his own benefit.  No!  It was for the profit of many who would receive salvation through faith in his ancestor, Jesus Christ. 

As the Apostle Paul taught in Galatians 3:14, "Through Christ Jesus, God has blessed the Gentiles with the same blessing he promised to Abraham, so that we who are believers might receive the promised Holy Spirit through faith." (NLT)

We certainly are a blessed people!  Like Abraham, however, the blessing is not just for my benefit.  I have a great responsibility to be a blessing to others.

Give Generously

I have a friend who is demonstrates generous giving in her daily life.  If someone compliments her on a scarf or on any possession in her home, she immediately gives that item away.  Her thought is that God has blessed her with an over-abundance and she desires to spread the wealth to others.  

There are two things that happen when I give liberally like my friend.  The needs of others are met and they are in turn compelled to give thanks to God.  (2 Corinthians 9:12)  But it is more than just giving things away.  It is a spirit or attitude of generosity that pleases God, for He "loves a cheerful giver." (v 7)

I am blessed with 24 hours in a day.  I can easily use up most of that time in selfish pursuits, or I can give more time in helping others, sharing the Gospel, or loving my neighbor.

I am blessed with a roof over my head.  I can easily use that to benefit myself and my family, or I can share it with others by using it as a base for ministry.  Bible studies, sharing meals and taking care of children are some of the ways I could share my home with those around me.  

I am blessed with an abundance of income.  It is easy to lament the state of my finances, but in comparison to the rest of the world, every American is considered to be rich.  We have more than we need and often spend that surplus on unneeded luxury items.  I can easily use my abundance to pursue my own comfort and pleasure, or I could sacrifice some of those extras in order to benefit someone who is suffering for lack of clean water or adequate food.  

Giving generously is a way I can pass the blessing on to others.

Praise Perpetually

Most of the time I think of praising God as a part of the worship time at church on Sundays or for when I recognize a good thing in my life.  But because of the great hope we have through faith in Jesus, we are called to, "continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that confess his name." (Hebrews 13:15)

Praising God perpetually means I could continually hold the goodness of God before me, remembering and acknowledging His hand in every part of my life.  

When the traffic backs up and I am late, I can remember that He is in control and He will get me where I need to go in His time.  Praise God that I run by His clock, not my own.  

When everything seems to be going wrong and I am overwhelmed with life, I can remember His goodness and mercy in granting me another day to live and another breath to take. Praise God that His plan prevails, not my own.

When I feel tired and worthless, I can remember that He is tireless and worthy and His strength will get me through.  Praise God that when I am weak, then I am strong.

Praising God means keeping Him at the forefront of my mind and remembering to lift His name on high in all situations, even when I don't feel like it.   After all, who wants to be around a grump?

Holding an attitude of perpetual praise will change my outlook as I keep my focus on the Lord, benefiting all who come in contact with me.  

Serve Sacrificially

I am constantly bombarded with opportunities to serve.  There are Sunday School classes to teach, nurseries to supervise, snacks to prepare, bulletins to distribute, bathrooms to clean, floors to vacuum, sound equipment to operate. . . the list goes on.  

I can easily give my time, talents and money in ways that I think are beneficial and even sacrificial.  But if I don't bring God into the decision making process, if I simply do what I think I should do, I am missing the point. . . and wearing myself out.

Everything I do should be done out of obedience to the calling of God on my life.  

King Saul had a problem with following directions.  God gave him specific instructions to completely destroy the Amelekites and to leave no human or animal living.  Saul, however, did things His way.  He captured the King Agag alive as well as many sheep and cattle, the best of which he planned to offer as sacrifice to God.  The Lord told him through Samuel that, "To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams." (1 Samuel 15:22)

I can do many things that seem noble and righteous in my own eyes.  There was nothing wrong in general with taking plunder as Saul did.  What was wrong was that He didn't follow God's calling on his life.  God told him to do specific things, and he ignored those instructions.

What has God placed on my heart to do that I have ignored?  Reaching out to my neighbor?  Starting a Bible study?  Sharing the Gospel with a co-worker?  Sending notes of encouragement?  Whatever it is, if I don't do that one thing,  I am living in a state of disobedience to God just as much as Saul was.   And no amount of selfless service can make up for that.

One of my purposes is to serve, as Jesus said in Mark 10:45.  "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."  But that service must be out of obedience to God.  Even Jesus said He, ". . .can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does."  (John 5:19)

I am called to serve in a way that takes time and effort, but only where I see God already working around me, not out of a sense of obligation.  If I simply do what seems good to me, my service is no different than the work done by any other civic organization.  But if I do what God is calling me to do, compelled by His love, He will supernaturally work through me.

Serving sacrificially out of obedience to God will result in His power spilling over into many other lives.


 Just as Abraham received a blessing so that many would be blessed through him, we too are blessed in order to bless others.  By giving generously, praising perpetually and serving sacrificially out of obedience to God, others will benefit. . . and God will be pleased! 

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will keep God at the forefront of my mind throughout my day.

How do I hoard my time or money for myself or my family?

Am I doing too much out of obligation and not out of obedience?

No comments:

Post a Comment