The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, May 22, 2015

The Fool's Way

"The way of fools seems right to them,
but the wise listen to advice.
Fools show their annoyance at once,
but the prudent overlook an insult. . .
The prudent keep their knowledge to themselves,
but a fool's heart blurts out folly."
Proverbs 12:15,16,23



No one wants to be called a fool.  The word usually conjures up images of a jester wearing a silly hat and going to great lengths to get a laugh or a goofball who no one respects but sets a good example of what not to do and how not to live.  Neither of these figures are to be emulated.  If I want to avoid such folly, I'd be wise to pay attention to these proverbs.

Self-righteous.  It is said that a man who represents himself in a court of law has a fool for a lawyer.  It's impossible to see myself and the situation I currently find myself in a completely objective manner.  As a human, I'm naturally biased in one way or another.  Furthermore, my judgement is tainted by sin, making my ability to evaluate my own motivation for purity, or my choices for wisdom, or my state of being for decency.  In my own mind, the reasons I do things may seem virtuous, the decisions I make look sensible, and my emotional condition appears to be perfectly healthy.  Then I get an outside opinion and find out I'm off.

If I only depend on myself for judgments, I'll be off-course and not even know it.  It's easy to stray when using only my own sense of direction for guidance.  This is why explorers and back-country adventurers use a compass because it's easy to get lost when there is nothing by which to judge.  I need a standard, a tool to find my bearings, an objective estimation of where I am.  God is this immovable, righteous and holy standard.  He is the "true north" by which I can always gauge my direction of travel, and only He can accurately judge the state of my heart.  I must be willing, however, to accept godly advice from other humans because many times He uses people to deliver His warnings, guidance and help.

If I think I already know the answers I'm a fool and will never listen to the wisdom God is trying to convey to me.

Hyper-sensitive.  I live in a culture that teaches me to stand up for myself, to never let an offense slide, to point out the faults of others.  Therefore, since such ways appeal so much to by flesh, it's easy for me to be easily offended as I go through my days.  Instead of giving people the benefit of the doubt, considering the possibility that they are having a bad day, might by going through a personal crisis, or could be experiencing some kind of loss, I find myself being hard on others.  In fact, I come to expect more from everyone else than I can even do myself.

This is one of the characteristics of the Pharisees; the group of Jewish scholars often criticized by Jesus as placing a heavy burden on the backs of the people they led (Matthew 23:3-4).  When I become so quick to point out ways others offend me, I'm taking part in a similar habit.  I'm more attentive to my own rights and feelings, failing to even consider the one who "offended" me.  Instead, I can let the insults roll off me, trusting that God will avenge me if I'm ever truly insulted (Romans 12:19-20).

If my skin is so thin that every off-word wounds my heart I'm a fool who sets the bar so high for others that I can't even reach it myself.

Slow-to-speak.  It is said that Abraham Lincoln quipped, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."  I have to admit, it's hard for me to remain silent when I think I have something smart, or helpful, or beneficial to say.  When someone is going through a hard time, or others are sharing their stories, or I hear advice that doesn't strike me as sound, I'm quick to pipe up, sharing what I know.

Instead of trying to prove my worth by sharing what I know, I can pay attention, practicing the art of listening.  I've seen many-a-know-it-all who seems to suck all the oxygen out of the room.  They can't seem to resist any opportunity to show off what they know, to highlight their own estimation of their cleverness, to act as if the world can't go on without hearing what they have to say.  As much as these types cause me to cringe and run the other way, I have to admit that I have a bit of the same desire within.  Who doesn't want to feel important and needed, that their knowledge can help others along?  Therefore, I must be careful to only speak when the time is right; when its best for all parties involved and according to God's leading (James 3:17).  Sometimes, it's just time to be quiet (Ecclesiastes 3:7).

If I'm quick to share my knowledge without discretion I'm a fool who never learned consideration and prudence.


I never want to play the fool, but often I tend to act less-than wise.  If I want to avoid the fool's way, I must guard against self-righteousness by letting God humble me and be my guide, to cut others a break so I'm not so quick to be offended by their insults, and to avoid speaking up so quickly, paying attention to when it's time to share what I know.  In these ways I'll stick to the way of wisdom.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to listen to His guidance.

When am I most easily offended?

How do I spend my time criticizing others?     

No comments:

Post a Comment