The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, May 1, 2015

A Good Practice

"Praise the LORD.
How good it is to sing praises to our God,
how pleasant and fitting to praise him!"
Psalm 147:1



There are some things I do that are good for me but I don't enjoy them so much:  Eating veggies, doing an extra set of punishing exercises, enduring dental visits or eye exams.  I know these practices are vital to my good health but it's not on my list of favorite things to do.

There is a good practice, however, that I won't have to grit my teeth and bear.  Singing praises to my God is a worthy habit to perform.

Good.  I sometimes have a problem with giving praise to people.  I like to encourage others and lift them up, but I often worry that I am entering into the realm of flattery, giving empty compliments just to win their esteem.  It's not that I want to butter people up and manipulate them, but my fleshly people-pleasing tendencies often rear their ugly head tempting me to go overboard with the kudos.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about over doing it when it comes to praising God.  It is always a good thing to give Him praise.  When I sing praises to Him, even if it's only in my head as I go about my day, I am participating in a beneficial practice.  It's not just that it pleases God to be acknowledged and given credit for all His magnificence, but it also is a positive practice that will bring about valuable benefits for me.

It is good to get into the practice of praising God for all He is and does.

Pleasant.  There are some things I do that are just plain enjoyable.  Since my life is often filled with things I must do, I'm required to accomplish, or I'm obligated to participate in, it's nice to do something simply for pleasure.  It could be a walk in the park, a leisurely sit on the porch or a visit with a friend.  Whatever it is, these pleasant activities refresh my soul.

It's the same as when I lift my praises up to God.  The more I participate in such a practice, the more pleasurable it will become to me until I find myself looking forward to such times.  Whether its a planned time of singing His praises as I enjoy the beauty of His creation, or an impromptu session as I lift my voice in harmony with the song on the radio, I'll find that it feels good to praise the Lord in song.  

If music is the soundtrack of my life, giving me pleasure as I go through my day, how much more will it make my Father's heart sing when I use the gift of music to honor and adore Him?  I imagine it must bring great delight to Him, the creator of song, melody and harmony.  How precious it is to use what He created to sing praises to Him!

It is pleasant, both to me and God, when I get into the practice of praising God with music.

Fitting.  I couldn't imagine waking up in the morning to silence.  The sound of singing birds busily going about their routine outside my window seems like a fitting way to start my day.  It would be mighty dull without their cheerful voices singing God's praises each morning.

It's the same with me.  There is no better way for me to return the goodness He has lavished upon me than to sing His praises.  He isn't listening to my skill level or ability to harmonize.  Instead, He is only interested in my heart as I lift my voice in adoration.  Therefore, I need not worry about whether I sound good or not, but that I'm desiring to worship and honor Him.

It is fitting to sing praises to a God who has given me so many good things.


While there are some practices that are good for me but not something I like to do, singing praises to God is not one of them.  Lifting my voice in adoration to Him is a good thing that is pleasant and fitting.  So, what am I waiting for?  It's time to begin the good practice of singing praises to my God!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can take the time to sing to my Father.

When do I feel self-conscious singing to God?

How do I avoid singing because I can't carry a tune?  Would it make a difference to know that my voice lifted in praise to Him is music to His ears?


No comments:

Post a Comment