The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Fountain of Youth

"My son, do not forget my teaching,
but keep my commands in your heart,
for they will prolong your life many years
and bring you peace and prosperity."
Proverbs 3:1-2



As a culture, Americans are obsessed with youth and how to ward off the inevitable effects of aging.  We try creams, treatments and healthy regimens, but does it really matter?  Is the condition of our skin of earth-shattering importance?  

Another concern is our warped value system.  We place so much emphasis on wealth and status, sending the message that the state of our bank account will determine future survival.  But does money have the power to give us contentment? Or long life?  Or are we barking up the wrong proverbial tree?

There are many areas which seem so important to us.  We invest our time and effort in them, believing their importance is vital.  Yet often we neglect a more lasting source of goodness.  Let's dig in to Proverbs 3 to find the answers we need in today's misleading and deceptive world.

Good Reputation.  I tend to be a people pleaser.  I didn't think this was a problem for me until recently when God moved it onto my radar, as He tends to do (Psalm 139:24).  Now I'm hyper-aware of how much I hunger for affirmation from man, assurance of my worth from others, that little pat on the back that tells me I'm important and necessary.   It turns out I can enjoy a good reputation among man, but I'm going about it the wrong way.

Instead of trying to gain the favor of man through my efforts, God says I'll find this benefit if only I cling to love and faithfulness.  I can make it a priority to treat others with mercy and kindness while purposefully turning away from my natural inclination to focus on my own needs and wants, resisting the drift toward cold-heartedness that comes from living in this callous and uncaring world (Proverbs 3:3-4).  God's love and grace is already flowing in my veins through faith in Christ.  It is my duty, then, to let if pour out to others.  It's easy to hog it all up for myself, but His love and grace is meant for all.  When I let go of my stingy, selfish tendencies, God's mercy and kindness will gush forth like an internal spring (John 7:37-39, Psalm 23:6).

Making mercy and kindness my hallmark will result in a good reputation among man and favor from God.

Good Health.  There is an endless array of supplements claiming to contain the secret to longevity and wellness.  I can spend time and money on special juices and cleansing treatments, fasting weekly in order to rid my body of harmful toxins.  Dutifully, I put in my time in the gym, doing the required amount of exercise in order to ward off deterioration of many kinds.

There is a better way.  While there are many ways to seek good health, only one comes from my Maker.  If I want to know how to find healthiness, it makes sense to seek out the advice that comes from the One who carefully put me together (Psalm 139:13). So what does God, my Creator, say is the secret to health and good nourishment?  Trusting Him with all my heart.  Resisting the urge to rely on what makes sense to me, or to think I must understand it in order to believe it, or to put my own insight above my confidence in God as my only hope. To recognize His sovereignty.  Allowing God to choose what's best for me.  To worship Him in the way I live my life.  To shun evil, staying away from it in every form.  These are the secrets to good health (Proverbs 3:5-8).

The road to good health is found in my reverence of and faith in God, not in all the things I think I'm so smart to do for my own benefit.

Good Provision.  I always want more.  My eyes are often focused on the future; things will be better when I have ___________.  When my bank account is up to this level, life will be better.  When I've acquired this level of income, things will be easier.  When I pay off this debt, then I can give more.  Then I reach that goal and things aren't as good as I thought.  Instead, I'm focused on reaching the next level.

I will never find contentment in what God is currently providing until I honor God with my money (Proverbs 3:9-10).  Making it my priority to worship God by giving Him the best and first of all I have will result in a new heart attitude.  Suddenly, what I have will be more than enough as I find myself appreciating all the ways He has blessed me materially.  Instead of wanting more, I'll discover the wealth that is already mine.  While this is not some kind of formula where I give to God and I can expect Him to give even more back to me, I can trust Him to spoil me with His unlimited resources when I honor Him with my finances.  There is no greater indicator as to my true faith in God as my Provider than in how willing I am to tithe and give offerings.

I will find contentment when I honor God with my money as He opens my eyes to His generous nature.


There are many ways to go after what the culture says is important and will bring happiness.  If I want true joy, however, I need look no further than Jesus.  As I learn to walk with Him He teaches me to find wisdom in Scripture.  There I find that a good reputation comes when I honor the love and kindness He lavishes upon me by letting it flow out to others, that good health results in my willingness to trust in God alone, and that I will find contentment in the material blessings He gives me when I worship God through tithes and offerings.  God's Word is never wrong.  If I want to find the secrets that far surpass the fountain of youth, I need look no further than the wisdom of Scripture.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can pay attention to what God is teaching me through His Word.

When do I spend more time researching cures than I do in taking God's advice to heart?

How am I lacking in faith as evidenced by how little money I give back to Him?     


No comments:

Post a Comment