The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Abomination of Unfairness

"A false balance and unrighteous dealings are 
extremely offensive and shamefully sinful to the Lord,
but a just weight is His delight."
Proverbs 11:1 AMP



I like to think of myself as a pretty fair and honest person.  Since God feels so strongly about dishonesty and unfairness, however, I had better ask Him if there is a way I tip the scales in my favor (Psalm 139:23-24).  Here are a few possibilities:

Hoard.  His love is never ending and His mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:22-23).  My heart is like a spring refreshing me with His flow of living water (John 7:38)  I'm awash in a river of grace (Romans 6:14).  I am so thankful for all the blessings that are mine in Christ Jesus (Ephesians 1:3).  Yet is it all for me?

I tend to live unfairly when I assume all the good things God is constantly giving me is only for me.  I am meant to exist as a conduit of His love, grace, mercy and goodness to the world around me, letting His blessings flow out to others (Philippians 2:3-42 Corinthians 4:7).  Instead, I tend to hoard them for myself, refusing to cut others a break, or love them where they are, or forgive as I've been forgiven.  

It is my desire to stop hoarding God's blessings for myself and let them flow forth to those around me.

Expecting Understanding.  It seems so obvious to me.  My argument sounds strong and is well-supported with scripture.  I don't see why everyone can't see the Truth, for it's so clear from my viewpoint.  But they don't.  The world criticizes my words supporting marriage as God created it to be, telling me my line of reasoning is flawed.  Or they label me as a misogynist because I speak out in favor of protecting life in the womb, failing to see the value in sheltering the innocent and vulnerable.  Or they claim they don't believe in my God so His laws don't apply to them.  I walk away frustrated, scratching my head in bewilderment.

In reality, I can't expect those without the benefit of God's indwelling Spirit to understand His way of thinking or an un-regenerated mind to grasp the concepts of God's value system.  Jesus rejoiced when considering how His Father revealed the deep things of God to the simple and childlike (Luke 10:21).  It's not those who think they are wise and learned who enter into this higher level of understanding.  Rather, it is those who are broken and needy, weak and at the end of themselves and who come to Jesus in their frailty who have been given the ability to understand.  Since God reveals such riches to me but not yet to the lost, it's not fair for me to expect those who don't yet believe in Jesus to think the same way I do.

It is my desire to remember when dealing with unbelievers that I have an unfair advantage through the Holy Spirit in understanding the things of God.

Rebuke.  I once was the same way, letting my own fleshly desires guide my footsteps, using my own way of thinking to form my opinions, finding my value system from the culture and tradition in which I operated.  Even though I have been rescued from such darkness, I can still remember what it was like.  It's important that I keep my origins in mind when interacting with the lost, otherwise, it's easy to expect the unrighteous to value righteousness.

No one can see the value in living God's way except by the inner workings of God as He changes the heart and mind, transforming it so it lines up more closely with that of Christ (Romans 12:2).  Therefore, I can't expect an unbeliever to see the value in sexual purity, or lifelong marriage commitment, or protecting unborn lives.   We don't share the same moral code.

It is my desire to refrain from rebuking an unbeliever for doing what comes naturally or living by a different set of rules.


While I may think of myself as honest and fair, there are some ways I behave unfairly.  I tend to hoard the good things God gives me instead of pouring the blessings out to others, expect the lost to understand the things of God, and rebuke the not-yet-saved for what is only possible through Christ.  In these ways the scales are tipped in my favor, and I have risked offending God in my attitude of unfairness.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to open up the flow of His goodness to others, believing that He will fill me up again.

When do I place an unfair expectation on the lost to think like I do?

How am I frustrated by the stubbornness of the lost, forgetting that I once was in the same boat?         

No comments:

Post a Comment