The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Barometer of the Heart

"Whoever despises the word brings destruction on himself,
but he who reveres the commandment will be rewarded."



Do I grin and bear it?  Avoid it at all costs?  Hunger for it?  Recognize its value despite its offensiveness to my sin nature?

In the same way the readings on a barometer are an indication of future changes in the weather, the way I feel about and respond to the wisdom found in God's Word is an indication of the direction I travel in life and the status of my heart.  If I learn to interpret the atmospheric pressure measurements of a barometer, I can forecast the weather.  And if I pay attention to how I'm handling the Word of God, I can estimate where I'm headed in life based on the status of my heart.  Let's take some time to recognize the danger signs.

Avoid.  Whenever I hear the dreaded song, I quickly turn the channel.  I simply don't want to be faced with the doe-eyed animals who seem to be pleading for help from their desperate situations as "In the Arms of an Angel" by Sarah McLachlan plays in the background.  My heart breaks as I think of the suffering these helpless creatures endure and I feel helpless to rescue them.  While I could give a donation to the ASPCA to ease my mind, I'd rather avoid the effectively persuasive advertising campaign.  It's just too hard to see.

From time to time I take on this same mindset with God's Word.  I know it's powerful and living, able to get to the root of the dark places in my heart, but I don't always want to face it (Hebrews 4:12-13). Sometimes I'd just rather turn the channel and focus on something more pleasant.  While the discipline and training in righteousness that comes from exposing myself to the Holy Scripture is not always comfortable, it is good for me, useful for weeding out what is off in the way I think and operate in this world, and teaching me God's better way (2 Timothy 3:16-17).  Even though it doesn't feel good, it is beneficial to my faith walk.  My willingness to expose myself to His valuable training tool tells me a lot about the state of my heart.

When I avoid God's Word it's a sign that I've hardened my heart against God's loving instruction.

Dismiss.  "It's not relevant.  It's outdated.  Maybe it made sense back in the day, but we've progressed beyond our need for such archaic ways; we have learned a better way and the Bible is no longer necessary.  While there may be some redeeming qualities, most of it does not apply to the modern mind and our unique condition."  So goes the line of thinking in today's mind.  While I don't claim to adhere to such a view, it's poison can easily seep into my psyche and influence the way I process the situations I encounter.

Therefore, when I find myself dismissing any part of God's Word as irrelevant to my current circumstances, I'd better sit up and take notice.  God does not change with the times, altering His perception according to cultural or political variations (James 1:17).  He does not take opinion polls and is never influenced by the tide of popular trends (Numbers 23:19, Malachi 3:6).  He could care less about His popularity ratings.  Since He is so rock-solid in His character, His Word can be trusted as always relevant to meet me right where I am and able to speak to me exactly what I need to hear.  God's Word always accomplishes what He desires for it to bring about, therefore I dare not dismiss it as irrelevant (Isaiah 55:11).

When I dismiss God's Word it is a sign that I've diminished the powerfully influential nature of His ever-relevant Word.

Take Lightly.  It becomes a daily ritual.  As I read, my mind is drifting toward my to-do-list or I'm rehashing my current crises or I'm distracted by my surrounds.  Whatever keeps me from truly applying myself to the study of scripture, it succeeds in keeping me superficial, robbing me from the richness found there and the important truths I need each day.  Instead of being transformed by the renewing of my mind, I stay the same, stagnant as a mosquito-infested bog deep in the woods.

If I want to go deeper with God, I must treasure His Word as the prize that it is, taking in every word as a life-giving flow of spring water that refreshes my soul and points me to the way everlasting.  Instead of just reading, then, I can take on the persona of an explorer, picking apart each passage in a search for gems that will give me more insight into the Father I adore, His Son whom I can't live without, and the Spirit who empowers me to live abundantly.  As I come to know this great God through His infallible Word, I will find more insight into my own workings and how I fit into this world He created.  Therefore, taking His Word seriously is to my benefit.

When I take God's Word lightly it is a sign that I've hit a roadblock in my faith walk, ceasing the forward progress toward my heavenly goal.


The way I think of and receive God's Word tells much about the state of my heart and the progress of my faith walk.  Learning to read the warning signs helps me to forecast the direction of my life.  When I avoid, dismiss and take lightly God's Word, I had better take notice for I'm headed in the wrong direction.  The state of my heart is vital to my spiritual health.  Therefore, I'd be wise to use these warning signs as a kind of barometer of the heart.



As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God to use His Word to accomplish His plan for my life.

When do I avoid scripture because I simply don't want to hear what God has to say?

How am I fearing God's best for me? 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment