The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Company I Keep

"Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm."
Proverbs 13:20



Does it matter who my closest friends are?  Or will my faith endure no matter what?  Is it immune from influence?  Can I stick to my guns despite who I spend time with?  No matter how close my relationship with Jesus is, there is a danger in keeping as a companion the arrogant, self-righteous, confident in self but ignorant of God.  I'd better be careful with whom I spend my time.

Emulate.  It's quite amazing to see.  The chameleon can blend in to its natural surroundings by displaying different patterns and colors that allow it to become almost invisible.  Their appearance can also change with their mood or in order for males to attract females or females to accept or reject males.  While humans do not possess such amazing abilities, we are in danger of blending in to our surroundings in a similar way.

Paul warns us of our chameleon-like tendencies in 1 Corinthians 15:33 when he was teaching against a common heresy of the time.  "Don't be fooled by those who say such things, for 'bad company corrupts good character.'"  In other words, we become like those we spend time with.  Now, this is not to say that we should not befriend the lost.  Rather, it is a warning against letting those without solid, biblical beliefs into our inner circle.  I tend to let my guard down when I'm around my closest friends because I know I can trust them fully.  When I do this with someone who doesn't share my belief in Christ and who follows a different set of moral and ethical codes, I'm in danger of compromising what I know is the truth.  In the least, I will begin to doubt of what I was once was so sure but at it's worst, I could turn away from my faith in Jesus.

I am wise to choose my close friends carefully because I will soon emulate their characteristics.

Direction.  No matter how much I try to stick to the way marked out for me, if I'm spending a lot of time with those who differ in their beliefs I will start to stray from the path that leads to life.  Even if I try my hardest to run toward Jesus, if those around me are running the other way, it won't be long before I drift away from my First Love (Revelation 2:4).

When I fill my mind with the thoughts of those who depend upon themselves instead of God, who deny God's existence, or who keep Him on the back burner to be called upon only in times of crisis, I can't help but begin to go in that same direction, even if it's only in some small ways.  Instead of helping me grow stronger in my faith as a good friend should, these companions actually work to weaken it, drawing me away from what I know is true.  In order to stay in step with them, I'll have to adjust my walk.  So, I'd better make sure they're headed toward life (Matthew 7:14). 

I am wise to choose my close friends carefully.  Since we're traveling in the same direction, we will suffer the same fate.

Adopt.  When I like someone, I tend to adopt some of their admirable qualities.  I might find myself using the same phrases, adding some of their mannerisms to my repertoire, or using a few of their jokes.  While my core character may not change, I can't help but adopt some of my friends' characteristics.

While vernacular, gestures and sense of humor may not be earth-shattering qualities to emulate, there are some features that may be a bit more dangerous to adopt.  When I spend a lot of time with someone, I tend to take on some of their wisdom, especially if it sounds good to me.  Over time, I find myself using the same train of thought, logic, or philosophies.  This is good if my friend in rooted in God's Word and growing each day in their faith, but if they are drifting away, it's most likely their thinking is off.  In turn, my thinking will soon become warped as I adopt their rationale and sense of judgement.  What I used to know was wrong may now be considered not so bad.  While I once knew the way of life, now I'm not so sure.  No matter how strong my convictions once were, I now have lightened up.

I am wise to choose my close friends carefully because I will soon adopt their way of thinking.


I may think my faith is strong enough to endure some ungodly friendships, but I'd be wise to choose my inner circle carefully.  I will emulate who I trust most, be influenced in my direction of travel by those I walk with, and cannot help but adopt the thinking of my best friend.  For this reason, it is crucial that I carefully consider the company I keep.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I trust God to show me which friends are good for my faith.

When do I tread on dangerous ground by choosing friends that don't share my passion for Jesus?

How am I putting my faith in danger by who I spend time with?        

  

No comments:

Post a Comment