The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Influence of the Heart

"My son, do not forget my teaching,
but keep my commands in your heart,
for they will prolong your life many years
and bring you peace and prosperity."
Proverbs 3:1-2



Its easy to think its my mind that most influences me for God, that guides me to His ways.  But in reality, its the heart that matters most (Proverbs 4:23,Psalm 139:23).

Treasure.  If it's success, my focus will be on climbing up the ladder.  If it's financial security, my attentions will be directed toward making sound investment decisions.  If it's relational, I'll spend my time building close bonds.  If it's health, my heart will be inspired to do all I can to preserve my body.  Whatever it is that I deem as valuable will drive my life.  And along with this drive will come the expectation that the thing I'm holding up as my treasure will bring satisfaction, meaning and fulfillment.  Until success never comes, the stock market crashes, the love of my life leaves and cancer ravages my body.  Now what?  I think.  What is the purpose of my life?  Now that my treasure is gone, where do I go from here?

As Jesus said, ". . .where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:21)  The only secure investments of my passion and attention are the heavenly ones, so I would be wise to focus on the spiritual things of God, making it my goal to know Him more each day.  If I were to pray that He open the eyes of my heart, I would begin to see things more as He does, and find what is of eternal value that is worth pinning my devotion to (Ephesians 1:18).

I would be wise to pay attention to what I treasure, and learn to value heavenly things above all.

Desire.  "My heart is just not in it."  How many times in my life have I said this?  Too many times to count.  I do things out of obligation, but I'm not really into it.  I dot all the i's and cross all the t's but there is no joy in doing a good job.  I spend my time crossing things off my to-do-list, but I wonder what I've really accomplished.

I have come to this conclusion:  if my heart is in it, I'm all in.  If I'm somehow disconnected, it won't last.  It reminds me of the years I devoted to homeschooling.  Many people who were considering taking the plunge asked me for advice and I always said the same thing, "Make sure you have a calling to homeschool.  If you don't, when the going gets rough, and it will get rough, you will not have the commitment to see it through."  In other words, if your heart is not in it, it will not last.

The same is true with anything.  I have to ask myself, what is it that I want out of this?  Is it all about quenching some personal, fleshly thirst, or is it from God?  Is this what I want, or is it what God wants?  Does this line up with God's best for me, or am I settling for something less?

I would be wise to pay attention to my desires, and let God change my aspirations to line up with His.

Yield.  For years I agreed with the Gospel, but I didn't surrender control of my life to Jesus.  I knew that I was saved but I failed to trust Jesus as Lord.  I wanted eternal life but didn't want to give up control.  It took many years before I yielded to Jesus, letting Him have His way in my life.  Up until then I was what is called a "carnal Christian," looking just like the rest of the world in the way I live my life and the values that I hold yet identifying myself as a believer of Jesus.  

It's in the heart that I either resist God's attempts at transforming me from the inside out, or I cooperate (Romans 12:2).  I can learn all I want about God, but until I give my heart to Him, trusting Him wholeheartedly, it will never go deeper than the superficial (Proverbs 3:5-6).   If I'm always striving for what I want and never give up and let Him lead me toward what He wants, I'll never find contentment and peace (Psalm 46:10).  It's in the heart that I either yield to Him or resist Him.

I would be wise to let God have His way in my life, yielding my heart to Him.


I spend a lot of time focusing on knowledge and wisdom, but it is in the heart where my faith is really determined. Therefore, it is important that I cultivate a heart that is dedicated to God, treasuring the heavenly, desiring the godly, and yielding to Him.  When I do, I will realize the influence of the heart as my life song sings for the glory of God!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to yield to His loving hand of discipline and guidance.

When do I resist Him?

How do I neglect my heart, thinking it is what I know that most influences the direction of my life?

   

No comments:

Post a Comment