The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, May 11, 2015

Finding Wisdom

"The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:
for gaining wisdom and instruction;
for understanding words of insight;
for receiving instruction in prudent behavior,
for doing what is right and just and fair;
for giving prudence to those who are simple,
knowledge and discretion to the young--
let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance--
for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise.
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and instruction."
Proverbs 1:1-7



I wonder if there is a magic formula:  If I do a certain thing or live a specific way, it will be mind.  I study tomes of godly instruction, looking for it.  I'm told it comes with age and experience.  But if I really want to find wisdom, I need look no further than God.

Treasure Commands.  I think I sometimes get a little mixed up.  Knowing I am saved by grace and realizing I'm set free from following the commands of God in order to save myself, I get the idea that His law is not important (Romans 7:4, Galatians 5:1).  That I can throw His statutes out the window.  That there is no longer any need for paying attention to His regulations.

Then I stumble upon 2 Timothy 3:16-17 and find that all of God's Word is from His mouth and "is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."  So I learn to take His law seriously, realizing these commands are a window into the heart of God, giving me insight into what is important to Him.  When I cherish all of scripture, including His law, I will find wisdom from God.  While it does not save me, God's law is included in the Bible for a reason, and therefore is meant to be appreciated.

I will find wisdom when I treasure God's commands.

Attentive Ear and Inclined Heart.  I tend to reach a point when I've had enough.  It's not that I think I know it all, but rather that I've learned so many new things I wonder if there could be anything more.  My world is often so rocked by fresh insight into God's ways that I think I can't possibly take any more in, that there is no more room for growth, that I need a respite from being stretched and pushed.  

But it seems that God is never at rest when it comes to my sanctification (Philippians 1:6).  He is always at work showing me new insight into His heart, a higher perspective when it comes to suffering, a alternative viewpoint of this world and His kingdom.  Since He is always at work, it makes sense that I should stay hungry for more.  If I reach a point of satiation, when I push myself away from His bountiful table, I am shutting myself off from receiving more insight into His kingdom.  

Therefore, it is important that I keep my ear trained on hearing more of His lessons and my heart open to receiving what He has for me.  Perhaps this is why Jesus often said, "Whoever has ears, let them hear (Mark 4:9, Matthew 11:15)."  Only those who were hungry for more of what He had to offer would be able to catch the lesson He was teaching.  And the same is true for me today.

I will find wisdom when I keep my ear attentive to His messages and my heart inclined toward receiving what He has for me.

Seeking.  Sometimes I'm only looking for what will help me get ahead.  Or I pick and choose what I really want to know. Or I have my radar up for what will help me in my current dilemma. If there is wisdom regarding a subject that doesn't interest me or that I judge as unimportant at this time of my life, I easily toss it aside as insignificant.

Instead, I would be better off adopting the attitude of a hunter, constantly seeking for godly insight, searching for it like a treasure hunter looks for hidden fortunes even if it doesn't seem to apply to me.  When a nugget of wisdom is found, I can hold onto it even if it makes no sense to me at this time, trusting that God will use it for my good and His glory.  In time I will see it's importance and it may help me realize that everything isn't about me.  Sometimes its good to take myself out of the picture altogether and simply be content to learn more about God's incredible character.

I will find wisdom when I seek for God's insight and understanding apart from my own life application.


Education is big in today's culture and I often lump wisdom in with knowledge that can be acquired.  But if I truly want godly insight and understanding to be mine, I must treasure God's commands, cultivate an attentive ear and inclined heart, and seek His wisdom as if it were the greatest treasure.  When I practice these ways, I will find wisdom that comes from God.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to take His commands as important, even if it doesn't seem to apply to me.

When do I toss parts of God's Word aside because I can't relate to it?

How am I careless with scripture I don't see as relevant?


No comments:

Post a Comment