The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Path

"He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake."
Psalm 23:3b ESV



There is a highway, well-traveled and maintained.  This paved road is always busy, packed with travelers going to and fro.  It seems like the obvious choice, the wisest route to take.  I ponder my options, wondering if I should join the throngs.  

Then I spot it; a small, nondescript, weathered gate (John 10:9).  Intriguing, I think, but what lies beyond it?  Should I risk leaving such a smooth path?  There is something about that doorway, however, that draws me.  I sense something more than just a way to get from here to there.  This is where I belong, where I'm meant to go.  And I take a risk, leaving the crowd and stepping onto the lonely road.  It doesn't even matter that the path is rocky and difficult because there is a peace there I can't explain.  Yes, this is where I'm meant to go.

There a many ways to live.  A lot of them seem good and right.  I am often tempted to go the way everyone else does, shamed into thinking my choices are foolish or I'm making a mistake when I go against the flow.  How do I know which path to follow?  I don't.  But my Shepherd does, and I can choose to follow Him!

He Leads.  A shepherd leads his sheep.  I recently watched a video of a man crossing a busy road in Amman, Jordan.  Behind this man was a flock of about 30 sheep.  The sheep intently watched their guide, seemingly oblivious to the traffic, noise and dangers.  Instead of getting distracted, they only had eyes for their shepherd, waiting for him to move forward before they did.  These animals never strayed in front of their leader, but waited for him to lead them across once the way was clear.  I could see the sheep wanted to go, they were anxious to keep moving, but none of them did until the guide stepped forward.  (Watch video here)

This is how Jesus leads me.  He is my shepherd and I am to keep my eyes on Him, not on the distractions, dangers, or potential problems filling my life.  Yes, there is much to draw my attention away.  There are many things that could hurt me.  There is so much damage that could occur.  But if I keep my eyes on Jesus, nothing else matters.  

Additionally, there is no need for me to figure out which route to take, when to move forward or how fast to go.  Instead, I only need to watch my Guide and follow Him, taking the burden of how to live off of me and placing it squarely on the shoulders of my Shepherd.

I may not know how to live my life, but Jesus does and I can follow Him as He leads me down the path of righteousness.

Right Way.  I have so many choices.  I can pick the path that leads where I want to go, accomplishing the goals I have for my life, mimicking those I admire.  I live in a world that tells me the destination doesn't matter, it's the journey that counts.  Therefore, I don't pay much attention to which track I'm on, as if I'm in the train station of life and never check the schedule but simply climb on the train that looks good to me.  Maybe it's shiny and new, promising fortune and wealth.  It could be rugged and worn, giving me the hope of adventure and meaning.  Or, perhaps I choose the crowded car, assuming that so many people can't be wrong.

Then I find the fallacy of my choices.  Each train leads to destruction, if only I had known!  But Jesus has marked out a rail car for me that leads to life.  When I follow Him, He takes me down the right way, the road I was meant to travel with Him.  While I may question why the way is so difficult, often climbing steeply and filled with obstacles and hazards, leading me to think I may have it all wrong, I can be assured that I'm headed toward my eternal reward (Philippians 3:14).

Jesus is the only way I can secure eternal life.  I can't earn such a benefit by trying hard, doing what I think is right, or giving it my best shot.  It is purely a gift given through faith in Jesus Christ.  But the way I live my life as a follower of Jesus matters.  The choices I make have eternal significance.  When I go where Jesus leads me I will be assured of taking the right path.

It's not just the journey that counts but the destination, so I had better let Jesus show me the right way.

His Name's Sake.  His name is holy and pure.  It brings hope to those who love Him and weeping and gnashing of teeth for those who have rejected Him.  God is not out to get popular, but He is concerned with how His name is portrayed.

When Moses traveled to Egypt at the direction of God in order to confront Pharaoh, demanding the release of God's people who were being held as slaves, God could have cut to the chase.  He could have softened the heart of the powerful leader, giving His chosen mouthpiece favor with the king of Egypt so that he would do as Moses bid.  Instead, he hardened Pharaoh's heart, sending plague after plague on the people of Egypt.  Why not just do it the quick and easy way?  Because God wanted to show His power to all the earth!  He wanted everyone to know He was the Lord (Exodus 14:4).  

And when His own chosen people doubted as they stood between the impenetrable Red Sea and the terrifying army of Egypt, why did God provide an exit route through the sea?  It wasn't because they deserved it, or due to His goodness, or even His love for them. He saved them for His name's sake (Psalm 106:8).

This is why Jesus leads me down this path of righteousness; so everyone who looks at my life, the choices I make, the wonders He works, and gives glory and honor to Him.  People will know there is something more than just effort, self-discipline or honor that spurs me on.  Instead, they will sense a power they can't explain, a love that knows no bounds, a God who is above all things.

Jesus leads me down the right path to give glory and honor to His name.


There are so many ways I can live my life; as many choices as there are people.  I could never know what to do each day, but that is why I have been given a Shepherd.  He leads me down the right path that leads to life and makes His name known to all the earth.  This is the path I've been looking for all my life.  This is the path He has marked out for me.  This is the path.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes on Jesus, no matter what is going on around me.

When do I panic, getting distracted by all the drama and pain?

How am I drawn to the popular, easy way?  
   




No comments:

Post a Comment