The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, December 12, 2014

In the Dark Valley

"Even though I walk through 
the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me."
Psalm 23:4 ESV



I get the wrong idea sometimes.  I hear people say trusting Jesus will deliver the good life to me, and I see pictures of all my troubles melting away.  Somehow, I make it all about me and my comfort, my desires, my expectations.  I believe I can have my best life now if I will only think positively.  But Jesus has something much bigger and better in mind.  

In His kingdom, making God's greatness known is of more importance than keeping me free from difficulty (Proverbs 16:4).  In His kingdom, avoidance of the hard stuff is not considered, rather the ugly is transformed into something beautiful (Isaiah 61:3).  In His kingdom, every brush with death, time of suffering, and bout with pain is used to conform me into the image of Jesus (Romans 8:28-29).

Following Jesus as my Good Shepherd does not mean my life will be free from suffering, pain or difficulty (John 10:14, 16:33) .  Instead, I have the benefit of my Shepherd as He leads me through the dark valley.

Presence.  When I was pregnant with my triplet daughters, I spent two months in the hospital where I could be kept under the watchful eye of the medical staff.  Every morsel of food and drop of drink I consumed was tracked.  My vital signs, weight and emotional well-being were measured and recorded.  Normal bathroom functions were out of the question as my output also needed to be checked.  There was even a monitor strapped around my ever-expanding girth so that any contractions could be detected.

While this seemed quite constricting at times, I did discover it's necessity one day as I raised the bed up so I could eat breakfast.  Suddenly, the nurse on duty burst in the door asking, "What are you doing?"  I dropped by forkful of hashbrowns, feeling like I had done something wrong.  "Oh, you're just eating breakfast.  You suddenly started having contractions and I see it was triggered by moving to an upright position so you could eat."  It should come as no surprise that they suggested I start eating in a partially reclined position in order to hold off labor as long as possible to give our precious girls the best chance possible.

This reminds me of God's constant monitoring of me.  David said in Psalm 139 that God sees everything and has it all under control.  "You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me." (v 5)  There is nothing that happens in my life that escapes His attention.  In fact, it all is filtered through His hands for approval before it can enter into my life.  Everything is under His watchful eye and He is always at work guiding me and protecting me.

As I walk through the dark valley, I am under the constant care of my Shepherd.

Rod.  A shepherd always carries a rod as an extension of his own right arm.  He uses it to protect his charges from harm, throwing it to keep them from wandering into a dangerous hazard or wielding it against a hungry predator.  The rod is also a sign of his authority and strength so the sheep know he is in charge of them.  The shepherd uses it to count his sheep, conducting a careful examination of each animal as he searches the thick wool for any kind of hidden symptoms that could point to disease or injury.

The sheep under his watchful eye know they are cared for.  Seeing the rod in his hands gives them comfort as they are reminded of his ability to protect, discipline and lead them.

Similarly, I can trust Jesus to foresee danger before I even know of it's presence.  This could mean He uses the firm hand of discipline in my life to keep me from harming myself, or in staving off the enemy who is lurking and ready to attack.  He also is constantly checking my heart for faulty thinking, selfish attitudes or ulterior motives that are developing, convicting me of the danger lurking there (Psalm 51:10).  Knowing He is always on guard gives me peace and a sense of security.

As I walk through the dark valley, I am comforted by the rod of my Shepherd.

Staff.  Sheep can get into some of the most preposterous dilemmas.  Being curious yet completely helpless is a combination that finds them inadvertently falling off cliffs into the sea, getting tangled in brambles as they search for green blades of grass, and becoming stuck in the mud as they wander off.  The shepherd's staff then can be used to rescue them from such predicaments.  

The long slender stick with the curve in the end is also useful for drawing the shy animals toward himself, to guide them as he uses it to apply pressure on their side to give them reassurance of their path, as well as to safely lift a newborn to present to its mother without the risk of applying a scent which could repel the ewe.

Likewise, my good Shepherd's staff brings much relief and encouragement as I walk through hard times.  He expertly extracts me from the ridiculous situations I get myself into, saving me from myself.  He also draws me to Himself when I hang back, afraid I'll be rejected or am unlovable.  Other times He applies gentle pressure, giving me the confirmation that I'm on the right track.  It's as if He's saying, "Keep going little lamb!  You're doing well!"

This kind of care gives me such comfort because I am easily discouraged, often wondering if I'm going in the wrong direction or somehow got off track.  It also is quite assuring to know He has such a kind and tender way of drawing me in, especially when I'm feeling vulnerable and hurt.  Yes, my Shepherd is sensitive enough to know what I need when I need it.

As I walk through the dark valley, I am comforted by the staff of my Shepherd.


When I put my life in Jesus' hands, I will not avoid suffering.  Instead, as He leads me through hard times, I am constantly under His watchful eye, have the assurance of His rod of protection, authority and power, and the comfort of knowing His staff is there to care for me, draw me closer, and guide me when I feel insecure.  There are many benefits to trusting in my Good Shepherd as He leads me through the dark valleys of life.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust Jesus enough to believe He is there for my protection.

When do I fear the hard stuff, forgetting that I have a Shepherd to comfort me?

How am I resisting His rod of discipline?


No comments:

Post a Comment