The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Not Lacking a Thing

"The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want."
Psalm 23:1 ESV



They were my grandmother's dying words; a reflection of her contentment in Christ, her readiness to meet her Shepherd face-to-face, a message spoken by stroke-damaged lips that told all was well with her soul.

Psalm 23 is perhaps the most familiar of Scripture passages.  It is often memorized by children, quoted by those in trouble, and even used as a kind of mantra to calm the anxious heart.  Instead of glossing over it as I tend to do with that which is familiar, what if I took the words to heart?

If I follow the Lord as my shepherd, how will that change my attitude?

Squelches Ambition.  While my husband served in the Army, he often said, "Stay in your lane."  Sometimes it was a way to train a young soldier who tried to impress by taking on more than his own responsibilities, or it served to remind a driven co-worker who was a back-seat driver of sorts, giving everyone advice about their jobs while neglecting his own.  Each soldier was assigned a specific task to focus on and things ran smoothly when everyone stuck to his or her own duties.

Similarly, I've been given limited duties to accomplish as a follower of Christ who has a Father who loves and cares for me.  While I tend to run after what I want and need, it is my purpose to obey Him as I focus on the kingdom work He has set before me while it is God's job to provide for what is necessary for living (Matthew 6:31-33, Ephesians 2:10).

So, when I begin to make decisions based on need, God could say to me, "Stay in your lane; that's My job!"  Or when I try to make ministry happen, He could remind me that putting all the pieces together in just the right time is His area of responsibility.  Or when I try to promote myself, getting my name out there so my gifts can be used in the way I think they should be used, He could reign me in as I step into His realm of duty.

Following the Lord as my shepherd squelches my natural-born ambition.

Ceases Worry.  I lay awake, mulling over the day's activities, rehashing every conversation and scrutinizing each decision.  Was it the right thing to say?  Did I hurt her feelings?  Maybe I should have done something else instead, or waited a little longer, or turned right instead of left.  Sheesh!  Then I just want to say to my brain, let it be, would ya'?  I'm trying to sleep here!

Worry comes in many forms but at its base it is focused and continuous thought, usually on a real or potential problem.  The original meaning suggests to "seize by the throat and tear" or to "harass."  Anxiety does tend to choke the life out of me, pestering me relentlessly until my health deteriorates and I have no peace.

If I have a Shepherd who is my Protector (Psalm 46:1), offering a safe place from that which will harm me, my Provider, supplying all I need and much of what I want (Matthew 6:8, Matthew 7:11), and my Guide, showing me the path He set aside for me to follow, what is there left about which I can worry (Hebrews 12:1)?  He has taken care of it all.  The only variable, then, is my willingness to let Him.

Following the Lord as my shepherd ceases worry that naturally plagues my mind and harasses my heart.

Delivers Contentment.  When I was a child, I loved Barbie dolls and would play with them for hours.  My friend Denise and I would live imaginary lives vicariously through this family of dolls who would travel to exotic locations, go on wild adventures and sometimes do ordinary chores that I dreaded doing in real life.  If you wanted to give me a gift, there was nothing I'd adore more than a new Barbie or one of her accessories.

If you tried to give me such a gift today,however, I would not have the same reaction.  My tastes have changed and my priorities have shifted.  The things my heart desired as a child are not what I still want as an adult.  

It's the same in my faith walk.  When I first trusted in Jesus, I was still quite rooted in the world.  As I submitted to Him, He began to change my priorities, shift my values, and challenge my practices.  As a result of this slow transformation process, I do not think the same way today that I did when I first committed my life to Christ.  As I delight in Him, He has given my heart new desires that line up more closely with His (Psalm 37:4).  He is changing my perspective in order to align it more with His.  He is in the process of conforming me into the image of His Son (Romans 8:29).

Therefore, I tend to be more content today with what God decides to give me.  While as a baby Christian I may have had an idea of what I thought I needed (and still sometimes do!), letting God choose for me has produced a new sense of gratification in the things of God and His kingdom.  More and more I find myself realizing that there is nothing I need apart from what God gives.

Following the Lord as my shepherd delivers a new kind of contentment as I realize He has my best interest at heart.


Living in a world that cultivates selfish ambition, anxiety and discontent, I must remember I have a Good Shepherd.  If I intentionally decide to follow the Lord, He will squelch this ambition, cease the worry, and deliver contentment.  Then I will not lack a thing as the Lord is my Shepherd.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God to lead me well.

When do I run after what I think I need?

How am I spending time thinking about what I want instead of being thankful for what I've been given?  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment