The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, December 22, 2014

Laugh in the Face of Fear!

"The LORD is my light and my salvation--
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life--
of whom shall I be afraid?"
Psalm 27:1



Alzheimer's and dementia threatens to develop.  Cancer looms.  Heart disease strikes all around.  Strokes render loved ones helpless.  Governments topple.  Wars break out.  Terrorists attack.  Unrest continues.  Anger provokes violence.  Injustice rises.  

There is much to fear in this world.  Because of who God is, however, I can laugh in it's face!

Light.  The darkness pressed in around me, palpable in it's completeness.  My eyes strained to pick up some kind of image, but none was to be seen.  The blackness in the cave was absolute, and I had rarely felt such fear.  What if we can't find our way back out?  Will we be doomed to die down here under the earth?  Then the tour guide ended my panic with the flick of a switch and light again flooded the cavern.

Light in the darkness brings comfort and security, especially when you're almost a mile under the earth in a deep cave.  While I rejoiced when the light turned back on during that tour, the beam of a few 100-watt bulbs cannot compare to the Light that comes from the Lord.  

When my life seems filled with evil and gloom, Jesus delivers hope for something better.  When everything is swirling in a whirlwind of confusion and I don't know what to do, Jesus stands firm in the storm, giving strong guidance and grounding me in truth.  When the unknown lurks like a terrifying monster in my future, Jesus is already there, completely aware and in control of all that is to come.

While it is easy to fear all that I face, I need not be afraid for Jesus is the Light of the world (John 1:4-5).

Salvation.  She couldn't help herself.  The bottom of the pool was suddenly out of her reach and she realized she was in over her head.  She began to panic as her feet no longer felt the hard, welcoming surface.  Suddenly, a strong arm reached in, pulling her back to the shallows.  The girl was saved by an alert swimmer.

In the same way that this youngster could not save herself, I am incapable of getting myself out of the deadly bind to which my sin has fated me.  I am doomed to die as punishment for all the ways I've failed (Romans 6:23).  Suddenly, a Lifesaver reaches in and plucks me from my destiny of death, giving me a chance at life eternal.  Jesus died so that I could live (John 3:16).

Even more, Jesus rescues me from a shallow existence devoid of meaning and purpose (John 10:10).  I'm told I am nothing more than an accident, a mistake who happened to land here in this place and time.  Then Jesus enlightens me to the truth: I was made on purpose for a purpose by a God of purpose (Ephesians 2:10).  Significance is born.

As if that weren't enough, He did more.  My flesh desires nothing more than to live for me, meet my own needs and desires, and run after what will please myself.  Then Jesus gives me a power I never knew before and a transformation takes place.  As I'm molded into a new creature, the old things fade away as new desires form.  Sin is no longer the ruler of my life as a new King takes His throne (Romans 6:14).

While it is easy to fear what seems inevitable, Jesus rescues me from such a dismal certainty.

Stronghold.  I could see no way out.  There was danger all around yet no path on which to escape.  I was trapped, surrounded by the enemy.  As I realized by fate in this cyber war, I accepted death as the soldiers descended upon me.  My turn was up as I let someone else play the game. 

While life is not like a video game, there are situations when I may feel just as hopeless.  The Enemy of my soul is out to get me, giving me grief every time I turn around.  Yet Jesus has given me the upper hand at the mention of His name.  I am not without defense, being outfitted with a mighty Sword as I wield the weapon of God's Word boldly, dealing deadly blows as I submit to the Truth (Ephesians 6:17).

Other times the evil all around me seems to close in like a deadly wave of attacks.  It looks like the darkness is winning, ready to overtake all the good and overwhelm what is left of the noble and virtuous.  But Jesus has overcome, claiming victory in the battle of good versus evil (John 16:33).

Then comes temptation, rising up when I least expect it, crushing any pretense I have of self-control.  But Jesus offers a way out, and I gratefully escape from the heavy pull of sin (1 Corinthians 10:13).

While it is easy to fear what seems inevitable, Jesus has conquered every danger in my life, standing as a stronghold that cannot be penetrated.


Yes, danger is lurking around every corner, giving me many reasons to fear as I live this life.  But Jesus offers relief from such distress, shedding Light, offering salvation, and serving as a stronghold of victory.  Because of Jesus, I can laugh in the face of fear! 



As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to accept all that He is offering me through Jesus Christ.

When do I attempt to give myself a meaningful life when Jesus has already died to deliver such bounty?

How am I walking in darkness because the Light seems out of my reach?  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment