The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hopeful Expectation

"Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the LORD forever."
Psalm 23:6 NLT



I have seen the benefits of living life with the Good Shepherd.  I have learned of His many blessings as I live in relationship with Him.  I am overjoyed with such abundance.  The beauty that blooms in my transforming heart goes above and beyond my expectations.  As deep and meaningful as my life has become through Jesus Christ, however, it is not all there is.  Perhaps the greatest benefit is yet to come.

Goodness and Mercy.  Anything that is good in this world comes from God (James 1:17).  He Himself is good.  There is nothing evil or dark about Him.  Unlike me, He can be counted on to be virtuous and to do what is best.  Not only is He a good God, but He is love, known for giving me what I don't deserve.

This goodness and steadfast love is beautifully demonstrated in God's generous gift of a promised land to His unfaithful people.  Despite their continual distrust of His ability to provide, protect and deliver them, He still gave the younger generation of Israelites houses beautifully furnished and filled, wells flowing with sweet water and gardens bursting with produce; a ready-made community marked by the abundance of a kind and merciful God (Nehemiah 9:25, Deuteronomy 6:10-12).

This is the kind of goodness and mercy that flows into my life through faith in Jesus Christ.  It's not due to anything I have done, wise choices I have made, or right paths I have chosen.  Instead, God gives good things as a result of His astounding love;  love that flows uninhibited into my life because of His character.

I can expect God to pursue me with His goodness and mercy.

All My Life.  I tend to give up easily.  If I'm treated poorly, my first response is to write the offender off.  My patience quickly runs dry.  God is not at all like me.  He is a God who pursues the broken, who runs after the lost, loves the unlovable (Isaiah 40:28, Luke 15:4).  

Because of this faithfulness, I can expect to never go a day without experiencing the lavishness of God.  If I look for it, I will see it, this abundance overflowing throughout my days.  It could be in the simple gift of a smile when I most need a bit of sunshine, or the hug of a friend when I'm feeling down, or the sight of a sparrow flitting through the bushes outside my window that brings an unexpected smile to my face.

If I am to notice all the good things God is pouring into my life, I'll have to look with kingdom eyes.  My Father does not value the same things this world holds dear.  As a result, His good gifts come wrapped in different kinds of packages, those the world won't even categorize as precious.  But to Him, they are the best kind.  May I always treasure that which will last, that which comes from Him (Matthew 6:19-21).

I can look forward to an continuous flow of His goodness and mercy each and every day of my life.

Eternal Dwelling.  I often feel like I don't belong, like this world is foreign to me or that I'm a fish out of water.  As one who has been bought by the blood of Jesus, ushered into the family of God through faith in His Son, I really don't belong here.  There is a place where I am meant to live, a heavenly dwelling place that is my real home (Philippians 3:20). 

Since this is not where I will always live, I must remember the temporary nature of this life.  When I return to my home in heaven, everything will be as God meant it to be.  It is unrealistic, then, for me to expect heaven here on earth.  Therefore, I must place my hope in what is to come, trusting that all will be made right when I arrive to the place Jesus has prepared for me.  Until then, I keep my eyes focused on this prize, running with all my might toward the hope of what is to come.  

The hope I have of returning to my real home in heaven can spur me on as I live here on earth.


God has blessed me with so many good things as His child through faith in Jesus.  Even though I don't deserve it, I can expect this flow of blessings to continue throughout my life.  As if this weren't enough, this life pales in comparison to the home that awaits me in eternity.  With such a God as this, I can live my life in hopeful expectation.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God to give me better than what I deserve.

When do I desire that which is not truly valuable?

How do I doubt God's goodness and mercy, believing He won't give me good things because of all the ways I've failed?

No comments:

Post a Comment