The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Green Pastures, Still Waters

"The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul."
Psalm 23:2-3a ESV



A sheep depends wholly upon her shepherd to provide and protect.  She is unable to care for herself, needing the caretaker to anticipate her needs and give her the good things that will make her life content.  A good shepherd knows his flock well, understanding exactly what they need and knowing when they need it.

Jesus is my Good Shepherd (John 10:14-15).  When I put my life in His hands as a helpless sheep, what will He do?

Green Pastures.  Fear.  It dominates the thoughts of sheep.  The unknown makes them nervous and the threat of a lurking predator always keeps them on edge.  Sheep are also prone to wander, worried that where they are is not the best.  The flock tends to be marked by friction as the sheep feed off each other's anxiety.

When sheep are in such a restless state, they will not lie down.  All that tension, friction between animals, and worry about danger keeps them too nervous to rest.  As soon as the shepherd enters their presence, however, they are put at ease, able to lie down in the fresh, green pasture that he has provided for them.  

It's the same with me.  I worry about what might happen, wondering when the next crisis will hit.  I look around, seeking what I don't have, as if that will finally make my heart content.  Instead of being secure in my identity as a child of God who is well loved and cared for, I compare myself to those around me, always coming up short in my estimation.

But my Shepherd is there, standing in my presence.  His redemptive power turns even the worst experiences of my life into something beautiful, so there is nothing to fear.  He has led me to His very best for me, so I need not wander.  In Christ, there is no need for competition since He has made each of us for a specific purpose to fill in His body.

The Good Shepherd brings peace to my life, allowing me to rest in Him.

Still Waters.  Sheep are not able to drink from moving waters where there is the risk of them falling in.  They also will not go where danger might be lurking, such as a river where the sound of rushing water might provide a perfect hiding place for a predator.  Therefore, it is imperative that a shepherd lead them to the quiet, refreshing watering holes where they can drink without reservation.

I need such refreshment in my life.  I often feel like I'm living in a dry wasteland that is devoid of anything good.  I grow weary of the coldness of heart, the consequences of sin, and the harshness of this world. I'm also wary of any offer of goodness since I've been burned so many times.  I've grown cynical and have become skeptical as to whether it is even possible to find true fulfillment.

Then comes the knock on the door of my heart of the One who knows me wholly and loves me perfectly. Jesus supplies a never-ending source of living water that quenches my spiritual thirst, filling the deep-seated need, the longing of my soul (John 4:14).  Only He can satisfy that powerful yet unidentified yearning from within that keeps me looking for more.  I can trust Him enough to drink of His life-giving waters.

The Good Shepherd delivers satisfaction, offering the abundant life for which I search (John 10:10).

Restoration.  I'm so much like these sheep, fearful and wary.  I want the best and often go looking for it, never able to quench that thirst of my soul.  All along, the Good Shepherd has been right there, waiting to restore me back to the way He first created me to exist.  As He repairs my broken perspective, fixes my cynical attitude, and transforms my faulty thinking, I begin to see the treasure He has given me.

He is really all I need.  As I walk with Him, I find true fulfillment as the woman He created me to be.  Instead of searching for meaning and truth, I realize He himself is the Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6).  Since He encompasses all for which my soul has been longing, I must stay connected to Him as my source of sustenance (John 15:5).

The Good Shepherd offers restoration so I can live the life I was meant to live.


Sheep are completely dependent upon their shepherd for survival.  Apart from this caregiver, they are fearful, stupid animals who are destined to live an anxious life that ends tragically.  In the presence of their shepherd, however, they find rest, nourishment and restoration.  I also have a Shepherd who provides such benefits, but it is only through Him that I will find the green pastures, still waters and rich meaning that I seek.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust Jesus as my Shepherd.

How do I search for what Jesus is freely offering to give me?

When am I discontent, prone to wander away from God's best for me?

       

No comments:

Post a Comment