The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Work of God Displayed

"Neither this man nor his parents sinned,"
said Jesus,
"but this happened so that the works of God
might be displayed in him.
As long as it is day,
we must do the works of him who sent me.
Night is coming,
when no one can work.
While I am in the world,
I am the light of the world."



Why me?  he cried out.  It would have been better if I had never been born.  If I had died at birth, at least I'd now be at peace.  As it is, I am in misery.  Everything I ever loved has been taken away from me.  All that defined my life is gone.  The only one left is my wife and even she says I should curse God and die.  What did I ever do to deserve the hell my life has become? (Job 3)

Sometimes it's easy to forget God's Sovereignty and blame bad things on past sins and their consequences.  The truth is, however, that God often allows these times of trial into our lives in order to spotlight His power and glory.

Sickness

It seemed like she'd never feel normal again.  While her family attempted to live their lives with some sense of normalcy, she writhed in pain in her darkened room, crying out to God in her misery.  In the hours she spent in solitude, she wracked her brain for a purpose for the suffering.  Was it the sins of her father who used and abused her?  Could it be due to all the years of putting her own well-being on the back-burner while she tended to her large family?  Maybe it's because she never really knew God like she thought she did.

As this tormented woman searched for an answer within her own understanding, God was using the situation to bring the rest of her family to their knees.  One by one, each member began to submit to Him, giving their lives to the One who created them for a purpose.  Like a vine growing rapidly until it covers the ground, the love of God was invading this home.  Due to the suffering of the matriarch, the rest of the family sought out the strength of God to get them through.

I can't expect to understand why God chooses a certain event, circumstance or condition into my life.  What I can expect is that He has chosen it for a purpose and that He will bring good out of it. (Romans 8:28

It could be the time of suffering will be used to draw me closer to the God of compassion who can comfort me in a way I've never experienced.  Then, I'll have a tool with which to reassure others in similar situations.  (2 Corinthians 1:3-5)

Maybe I am forced into bed rest so I'll learn to accept help from others, bringing glory to God as they get to use their gifts to bring relief to my suffering.

Sometimes, the time of ill-health can be used to showcase the power of God as He not only heals my body, but mends broken relationships as well.

In times of sickness, I can't tell God how to get His glory.

Family Issues

She was worried about her sister.  From the time she could remember, her younger sibling was under the iron fist of their mother.  While her life was controlled to the minute detail, at least she was safe from harm.  

When the mildly developmentally disabled middle-aged woman finally met the love of her life, she quickly married and set up a home of her own.  The extended family was ecstatic, that is until they began to notice signs of abuse and alcoholism from her new husband.  She was better off at home with their mother, the siblings agreed.

While the above situation is heartbreaking, God is using it to spread the brilliance of His name.  Family members who had never considered the Lord as part of their lives are turning to Him for guidance.  The sister who is caught in the middle of the difficulty is trusting God in a whole new way.  And it is evident that God is putting people who have been where he is in the path of the husband.  

God is using this difficulty to move some to a higher level in their relationship with Him, and others to begin what they never before considered but will in the end save their eternal life.

In times of family difficulties, I can't tell God how to get His glory.

Accidents

They became fast friends; the victim and the Good Samaritan.  While they would never have normally befriended each other, that fateful day on the interstate sealed the deal:  The two women were meant to be connected.

God has a way of using circumstances to bring people together who would normally cross paths.  It could be they live on opposite ends of town, circulate through different social circles or come from completely different backgrounds.  Whatever the reason, the Lord knows how to put me in touch with those He designed to be a part of my life.

For this reason, when I find myself in a crisis, instead of fretting over the totaled car, I can focus on the people who are in my midst.  When an emergency suddenly presents itself, the knowledge that there could be more to the predicament in which I find myself than the difficulty itself can bring a bit of peace to my troubled heart.  Instead of assuming God is out to get me when I face yet another mishap, I can rest in the knowledge that He is at work bringing good into my life.

In times of calamity, I can't tell God how to get His glory.


It's all too easy to forget the sovereignty of God and instead blame the bad things that happen on my past sins or assume I'm only reaping the consequences of seeds I've sown.  Sometimes, however, God intentionally allows hard times into my life in order to bring glory to Himself.  He often uses sickness, family issues and accidents to showcase His power and might.  It is evident that I cannot tell God how to best display His awesome glory: only He knows what's best.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God when things go haywire.

When do I forget God is in control and assume I'm simply unlucky?

How am I failing to see how God is at work through the difficulties in my life?  

No comments:

Post a Comment