The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Greater Purpose

"You intended to harm me,
but God intended it for good
to accomplish what is now being done,
the saving of many lives."
Genesis 50:20



His life consisted of one injustice after another.  First, his father set him up as a target for all the brothers to hate by declaring him the favorite child and giving him a special garment to wear.  While he appreciated the favor of his dad, he didn't like the treatment that followed.  Then, because of their hatred toward their little brother, the older siblings threw him into a dried-out well after rejecting their initial idea to kill him in cold blood.  When a caravan of traders happened by, they saw it as their opportunity to get rid of the little brat once and for all.  Soon, Joseph found himself as a slave on the way to Egypt.

As if all that weren't enough, he was later falsely accused of rape by the wife of his master, resulting in a prison sentence.  Even more maddening was the fact that an opportunity for freedom passed him by when the fellow-prisoner whose dream he successfully interpreted forgot to put in a good word for him once he was released.  Therefore, Joseph languished in prison for a couple more years.

After all those incidents of mistreatment and injustice, Joseph had a right to be angry.  There is not a person who ever lived who would fault him for feeling violated and seeking retribution for those lost years.  But Joseph seemed to understand the sovereignty of God.  Instead of looking at the unfairness of it all, he was able to perceive that something bigger was in the works.  Through the 13 years in which he suffered at the hands of many, withstanding treatment he didn't deserve, he learned to see the greater purpose of God.

Judgment

Outrage rose like a wave stirred up by an angry hurricane.  People looked at the news that was presented and listened to the pundits who capitalized on the sentencing to promote themselves and easily agreed there was something evil afoot.  While the members of the jury possessed all the facts with which to come to a verdict, those on the outside who so easily condemned only knew what news producers wanted them to hear.  While those on the outside of the case were quick to condemn, those on the inside knew it wasn't quite as simple as it was being portrayed.

It's easy for me to think I know what people deserve for their actions.  I observe an injustice that provokes feelings of empathy for the victim, and I'm ready to send the offender to the electric chair.  Fortunately, judgment belongs to God who is perfectly just and fair.  

If I can keep this truth in mind and leave justice in His hands, I can live at peace with others even when I feel violated or detect injustice done to another.  (Romans 12:17-19)  If I'm only focused on the perceived injustice, however, I will never feel satisfied with any outcome.  There will always be unfairness to be found.

Rightfully leaving the act of judging what each act deserves in the hands of God, whether it be a serious crime or a petty deed, takes away the temptation to solve the problem myself.  So, when I feel violated by unfair treatment, I can trust God that He will not only protect me but also handle any punitive action that needs to be taken.  Instead of living my life with the focus of attempting to protect myself, then, I can pay more attention to my relationship with the Lord and letting Him love others through me wherever I go.

When I remember that judgment belongs to God, I am free to live in peace as a rightly related daughter of the Judge.

Intention

I don't like to watch those television shows that depict the injustices done to animals.  Those programs brings out such feelings of anger against the perpetrators of abuse and neglect that I build up a desire to see them suffer in the same way they have caused misery in the lives of their pets.

God, however, does not carry this same objective as He observes suffering.  Instead, His intention is to bring glory and honor to His name.  While I am only concerned with getting back at those who hurt me or the vulnerable, God has a higher goal.

When it seems to me that people are getting away with evil behavior, I can rest assured that God is working things in a way that will lift His name on high.  When I only perceive distress, God knows how He will work the crisis into something that will draw attention to His goodness.  When I merely notice the darkness, God's light illuminates His grand design.

When I remember that God's intention is to bring glory to Himself, I am free to trust Him as He works all things to that end.

Salvation

Their situation seemed hopeless.  Their once autonomous kingdom became a mere acquisition in the hands of a ruthless emperor.  The invader's way of life seeped into their beloved culture, tainting it's distinctive qualities to the point of contamination.  They needed a leader to rise up and lead a rebellion against these foreign conquerors.  Who would save them from this oppression?

The Jewish people were looking for a political king to rescue them from the iron fist of the Romans.  God, however, had another plan.  His strategy was to send His precious Son to offer Himself as a sacrifice to atone for the sins of mankind.  Thus, the image-bearers would be saved from eternal damnation, not necessarily their current living conditions.

There is no way for me to be able to comprehend how God will bring about salvation.  His mind thinks much differently than my puny psyche, so it is best if I leave the saving to Him.  (Isaiah 55:8-9)

When I think I need to be rescued from the oppression of a cold-hearted husband, God may have a plan to use my witness to win my mate over. (1 Peter 3:1-2)  When I think something needs to be done to quickly get rid of the debt that weighs my family down, God may have a plan to use the time of struggle to teach us how to completely rely on Him to provide for our needs. (Matthew 6:32-33)  When I think my salvation may come from the left, God may send rescue from the right so I'd better be ready for anything.

When I remember that God will bring about salvation in the way and time that He sees fit, I am free to live securely as a child whose Father will do whatever it takes to save His family.


Joseph seemed to understand the sovereignty of God.  He realized that the Lord is the only one who sits in the seat of judgment, intends to bring glory to His own name, and knows the way in which salvation will come.  When I desire to see how much God is in control as Joseph did, I will be able to live a life of true freedom as I walk in the shadow of His wings, looking for His greater purpose.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will leave judgment to the Lord.

How do I forget that God's ways are so much higher than mine and expect God to follow my lead?

When am I oblivious to how God is working things out all around me because I'm facing the wrong direction?

No comments:

Post a Comment