The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

In the Midst of Trouble

"Now, do not be upset 
and do not be angry with yourselves 
because you sold me here,
for God sent me ahead of you to preserve life!
For these past two years 
there has been famine in the land
and for five more years there will be neither plowing
nor harvesting.
God sent me ahead of you to preserve you on earth
and to save your lives by a great deliverance.
So now,
it is not you who sent me here,
but God.
He has made me an adviser to Pharaoh,
lord over all his household,
and ruler over all the land of Egypt."
Genesis 45:5-8



It was just plain wrong!  Here she was, a woman enduring every mother's nightmare, yet instead of being treated with sensitivity by the media, her story was used to bring in higher ratings for the station's news program.  While the investigative authorities had the opportunity to bring justice for her daughter's sake, they instead used her as a means for their own political ends.  Even though she had many friends, colleagues, acquaintances and well-wishers, many condemned her demeanor throughout the crises, treated her like a celebrity or only cared about what details of the case they could glean from their conversations.  This woman had every reason to be angry.

Even though I will probably never face such injustice, there are times when others use or abuse me or I face what I think are unreasonably hard times.  When I'm mistreated, I have two choices.  Either I can grow angry, letting bitterness fester and the desire for revenge control me, or I can look for God's sovereign plan in the midst of the trouble.  

Forethought

It is always said that hindsight is 20/20.  Looking back on the past, it is easy to see signs of what was to come that I missed at the time.  Peering into the future, however, there is no way for me to know how all the pieces of my life are going to come together. 

This is precisely the reason we need God.  He has a plan that takes into account what is to come.  The Lord places each person where they need to be and only He knows the perfect timing for the forward progress of His plan.  Nothing can advance until everyone is position.

Since God is the One who possesses the vision, only He knows why there is a delay.  While I may perceive a time of little or no movement as a holdup, frustration or even a setback, God knows it is a necessary time of shifting all the pieces into place.  In the same way that I need all the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle to come together before the picture can be completed, the Sovereign Lord is putting all the necessary players into place in order to finish His masterpiece.

When I'm stuck in traffic and my blood pressure is rising, I'm usually only focused on the time I'm wasting or the appointment I'm missing.  God, however, sees the future and is protecting me from an accident that is about to happen.

It is easy for me to feel abandoned when I'm waiting for God to deliver me from my present crisis.  The truth I can't perceive is that God is building my faith until I'm strong enough to handle the resolution He has planned for my predicament.

There are even times when I want to enthusiastically rush forward, believing I am ready to take on the world.  God, however, knows the training I need to undergo before I'll be prepared for such a heavy mission.

When it seems life is not fair, I must remember the forethought of God and let Him move in His own time.

Preservation

People all around them were starving to death.  The man considered his options, consulting the Lord for guidance, and settled on the plan to send his sons down to Egypt to purchase some grain.  While it may have seemed risky, it was part of God's sovereign plan to deliver His chosen people from a slow and steady demise.  

When Jacob saw how desperate was his family's situation, he would have done anything to save them.  Little did he know, however, that God already had a plan to preserve those who called Him Lord.  While many suffered around him, calling on their gods and making sacrifices to their idols as they sought mercy, God had a stake in those who claimed His name as their own.

In the same way, I belong to the Lord as His very own.  I am His adopted daughter through faith in Jesus Christ and thus am infinitely precious to Him. (1 John 3:1, Matthew 6:26)   Therefore, He will go to great lengths to preserve my life and the lives of those who are called by His name.

So, when I'm tired of the struggle against the disease that ravages my body, I can remember how God is using me to deliver the good news of Jesus Christ to all with whom I come in contact.  Or, when I feel like God is against me as He sends trial after trial, I can take heart as I keep in mind how the hard times are keeping me on my knees and in His arms.  I can even draw strength from the fact that God is shielding me from harm that is found in the world by occupying my time with caring for others at home.

When it seems life is not fair, I must remember how God uses circumstances to preserve the lives of His holy people.

Sovereignty

The young woman found blessing and treasure in her enemy's demise.  While Esther would have never killed the evil Haman herself, his death meant great fortune for her.  It also meant deliverance for her people. (Esther 8:7-8)  God is so much in control that He can even use evil to bring about good.  

It is hard to stomach all the news that comes at me in this modern age: There are killings, kidnappings, violent protests and terrorist attacks to name a few atrocities.  If I can keep in mind the sovereignty of God that allows Him to use the bad to His own advantage, however, it may be a bit easier to stomach the reality of living in this fallen world.

The next time I hear some bad news, then, I can look for the good that is hidden within.  As His child, it is vital that I become an expert at recognizing His hand in the midst of evil.  While it is true that I live in Satan's domain, I must always remember that God's plan is not thwarted by the wicked, nor is it overcome by evil.  Instead, Jesus has conquered the world (John 16:33) and nothing is outside of His sphere of influence.

When it seems life is not fair, I must remember the sovereignty of God, trusting that He can even use the evil to bring about good.


When life deals me an unreasonably difficult blow, I can either simmer in my resentment, or I can look for the hand of God in the middle of the crisis.  When I choose the latter, I may see a bit of the forethought of God, how He works to preserve His people, and the miraculous way that He uses even the enemy of our souls to bring about good.  It is then that I will find peace in the midst of the trouble.   


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes of Jesus and all the good that is coming out of the trouble.

When do I lose sight of what God is doing?

How am I paying more attention to the trouble than in looking for God's plan?


No comments:

Post a Comment